Author Topic: Carbonda CFR-696, DIY Paintjob  (Read 1197 times)

Synthesis

Carbonda CFR-696, DIY Paintjob
« on: July 14, 2023, 10:18:46 AM »
Disclaimer: I am a Bike Mechanic by trade. My one man shop is the Elves build and mounting central for the region the agent oversees, in this case Scandinavia.
So was looking for a Gravel bike for myself, and since Elves dont make any, I chose a Carbonda CFR-696 instead.  I´ve built a couple of Triaero/Ican X-Gravel for some customers, but I´m not a fan of the thru-axles they provide, soft and 5mm hex instead of 6mm. I do like the cable stop/thru-hole in the steerer tube, BSA box and 27.2mm seat post. Build quality is as usually on par, if not better, than some name brands.
So I ordered a frameset in size 54cm in standard finish, Matt Black with the intention to paint it myself, Etoe, Martin on Youtube made a tutorial on how to paint Marble finish in Hypershift I chose a subtle shift, Gold-Red-Purple. After a 3 stage cut and buff it looks very nice.   
https://photos.app.goo.gl/gjV9bixkU99t6LPHA
Build List:
Drive Six wheels
Shimano XT 6 hole 160mm discs
Deore 10 speed 42-11 cassette
Panaracer Gravelking SK 38mm
"NX" Chinese crankset 36T Chainring
Nutt Mechanical brakes
Jagwire Pro housing
XLC Stem and bar
PRO bartape
BBB Seat post and Bontrager Montrose saddle
Sram Apex 10 speed shifters
GX long cage rear Mech.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 10:54:02 AM by Synthesis »

NoGrip61

Re: Carbonda CFR-696, DIY Paintjob
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2023, 10:33:27 AM »
Cool build and great job on the paint!  That marble effect is wild!

Synthesis

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2023, 10:46:09 AM »
Thanks, yes it is cool, really comes to life in Sunlight.

Noladutch

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2023, 08:24:20 AM »
nice build. I love the plastic trick have done it before.

Years ago did similar trick painting a motorcycle. What I used was metal flake and used bubble packing wrap to apply it. So it left circles of flakes that I painted candy over. It was a cool effect in a stripe. The base was black the flake was pink and the candy color was dark red. You couldn't see the dots except in direct sun and looked like a black stripe otherwise.

That would work well with color shift pigments to apply circles.

Enough about the paint how do you like that wheelset? I really love the look and I am sure they are crazy strong just worried about the hub durability. As a large guy that would be a dream to not worry about wheels so much. 

Synthesis

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2023, 09:13:11 AM »
Changed the crap bearings they come with and love them! They are like riding on rails and are rated for 125kg-275 pounds. I´m sure they will outlast me.