Author Topic: Transferring Components from a Damaged Giant Defy 1 to a New Frame  (Read 327 times)

alfiomotrambo

Hi everyone,

Nice to meet you, this is my first post after reading many on this forum. I'm seeking advice from more experienced members regarding my situation. I have a 2018 Giant Defy 1 with a damaged frame that cannot be repaired. I'm considering removing all the components and transferring them to a new frame.

Currently, my bike is equipped with a Shimano 105 R7000 groupset with hydraulic brakes and Fulcrum wheels. Do you think it's feasible to transfer all the components to a new frame? Has anyone had similar experiences?

I am considering either an ICAN A22 (I love the black color) or an ELVES Avari Pro. The ELVES is UCI approved, unlike the ICAN.

Thank you for all your help. :D

kbernstein

Re: Transferring Components from a Damaged Giant Defy 1 to a New Frame
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2024, 04:34:08 AM »
Of course it's possible if the groupset itself is not damaged. With rare high end exceptions where mechanical groupsets can't be installed on some frames, it should be just a straight swap with the exception of new brake hoses and fittings. A few other compatibilities to look out for would be clearance for tire, chainrings, disc rotors but everything is probably fine
By the way the UCI certification is completely worthless and nothing but marketing if you don't race in UCI events. Not indicative of quality in any way

alfiomotrambo

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2024, 05:38:34 AM »
Of course it's possible if the groupset itself is not damaged. With rare high end exceptions where mechanical groupsets can't be installed on some frames, it should be just a straight swap with the exception of new brake hoses and fittings. A few other compatibilities to look out for would be clearance for tire, chainrings, disc rotors but everything is probably fine
By the way the UCI certification is completely worthless and nothing but marketing if you don't race in UCI events. Not indicative of quality in any way

Thank you for your response. Do you have any advice on which frame to purchase?

dsveddy

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2024, 07:35:10 AM »
So the biggest issue when selecting a new frame is minimizing the number of new components you need to buy. You definitely need to plan on getting new brake hoses, brake barbs and olives, cable housing and cables that you can cut to match the new cable routing. Pretty much in every case you need new bottom bracket bearings since it’s easier to just buy new ones than try to extract your old ones. You also are going to have issues with the integrated cable routing on these newer Chiner frames. Your defy has semi internal, which means your stem won’t be compatible. So you’ll need a new stem to match the integrated cable routing, or you can buy an integrated handlebar. Many of these frames come with a handlebar or stem that matches that bikes routing,  so that’s something worth paying attention to.

You will also need some specialized tools if you don’t already have them. Cable housing cutters, tools to remove the cassette and disc brake lock rings (if you have center lock discs), and a tool for your new bottom bracket—depending on which standard your new frame has. Also a bleed kit for your brake swap.

That’s pretty much everything I can think of off the top of my head

Serge_K

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2024, 09:24:50 AM »
I am considering either an ICAN A22 (I love the black color) or an ELVES Avari Pro. The ELVES is UCI approved, unlike the ICAN.

the ican is quite old with recommended 25/28C tyres. That's very much not future proof.
the elves is surprisingly heavy (baby size 990g) and maxes out at 30C.

Have a look at sp cycle SP-R025-SL - you can get it for cheaper than what the website says. SP cycle = Tideace = haidelibicycle.com = disai. So if you email all of them you'll get the best deal.
SP Cycle has several models you may like.
Lightcarbon has a model or 2 you'll like
I really like my long teng 268.
Velobuild is now consistently making nice frames, the 268 is proving very popular.
Given the elves look like an endurance bike, the yishun R1018 may be good for you - super light, monocoque -.

I would never buy an ican nor an elves myself :)

Re. tools, have a look at a few bike builds video on YT. you'll quickly notice what tools you need.

jonathanf2

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2024, 09:36:02 AM »
I've transferred components multiple times to different frames. You'll most likely run into issues, spilt hydraulic fluid and questioning your life decisions. At that point go to bed and start fresh the next morning! The bike building skills you'll develop will rival all but the most old school LBS mechanics. Nowadays, I feel I can tune any bike into perfection. Don't be shy and feel free to ask questions!