Author Topic: Hygge Aero Carbon Frame  (Read 40780 times)

TidyDinosaur

Re: Hygge Aero Carbon Frame
« Reply #345 on: March 29, 2024, 11:00:34 AM »
For reference: I had the same with my tfsa frame. Could only insert 14cm. They told me you need about 10cm insertion.
But check with the seller. Every frame is different. I know I cut my Hygge seatpost

Ronronson

« Reply #346 on: March 31, 2024, 06:43:57 AM »
I spent a day umming and ahhing over which colourway to go with and after seeing your bike, I bit the bullet and ordered the same. I think my build will be exactly the same as yours except for I've opted for mechanical ultegra as my goal was to keep total build under £1200 which seem pretty mental given current bike prices.  My last build was a Supersix HM in 2018 so I'm keen to see how cheap Chinese bike frame compare to older high end stuff.

How is it holding up? Did you have any QC issues ( paint over spray, irregular or non concentric thru axle holes, seat post slipping?).

Also how does it ride? I get this is totally subjective but any feedback would be appreciated.

:)
My frame arrived on Friday and I built it up over the weekend.

First impressions are great, paint quality seems nice and internal finishing also looks nice.

Still waiting on Elitewheels Edge wheelset being delivered to finish properly.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #347 on: March 31, 2024, 07:05:17 AM »
Thanks, I did the same as you but only 5Nm and the seatpost is slipping. I will now try 6Nm.

A little update. The seatpost seems to be stable with 6Nm and 2 layers of cloth tape to the back of the seatpost. I have now done about 300km without it slipping.

ByAliTR

« Reply #348 on: April 02, 2024, 04:33:40 PM »
the frame turned out to be rigid as I did not expect. the power transmission is very good. i like it very much. i use it with pleasure. hygge responds clearly to questions about customer satisfaction, but if you have a problem, I think they are very inadequate in sending spare parts and bodies.

Serge_K

« Reply #349 on: April 03, 2024, 05:54:49 AM »
A little update. The seatpost seems to be stable with 6Nm and 2 layers of cloth tape to the back of the seatpost. I have now done about 300km without it slipping.

it's odd, typically the torque specs for seatposts of that nature are much higher. On my LT it says max 12nm on the clamp, and frame, seatpost & clamp systems look very very similar. The seatpost stopped slipping when i applied proper torque (i think at least 8 from memory?) I always use carbon grip paste & didnt have to be more creative than that.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #350 on: April 03, 2024, 06:05:20 AM »
it's odd, typically the torque specs for seatposts of that nature are much higher. On my LT it says max 12nm on the clamp, and frame, seatpost & clamp systems look very very similar. The seatpost stopped slipping when i applied proper torque (i think at least 8 from memory?) I always use carbon grip paste & didnt have to be more creative than that.

I asked the seller and they said 5-6 Nm... They also have sent me a new seatpost clamp. It seems they have changed the design since I have ordered the frame. But it looks like it is coming via a very slow route, so I am still waiting for it. It was nice of them to send it though.

Fleckinger

« Reply #351 on: April 03, 2024, 11:45:34 AM »

I torqued my seatpost to 4nm and it's good, but I'm pretty lightweight.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #352 on: April 04, 2024, 01:17:49 AM »
I torqued my seatpost to 4nm and it's good, but I'm pretty lightweight.

Well, I am no heavyweight either with my 65kg...
Maybe the new clamp will make all the difference.

StevenC

« Reply #353 on: April 07, 2024, 08:02:44 AM »
I spent a day umming and ahhing over which colourway to go with and after seeing your bike, I bit the bullet and ordered the same. I think my build will be exactly the same as yours except for I've opted for mechanical ultegra as my goal was to keep total build under £1200 which seem pretty mental given current bike prices.  My last build was a Supersix HM in 2018 so I'm keen to see how cheap Chinese bike frame compare to older high end stuff.

How is it holding up? Did you have any QC issues ( paint over spray, irregular or non concentric thru axle holes, seat post slipping?).

Also how does it ride? I get this is totally subjective but any feedback would be appreciated.

:)

Rides great, stiff and aggressive but decently compliant. I’ve just fitted new wheels with 30mm tyres which helps.

Holding up well to the Scottish roads and weather so far.

I’ve not had any issues with the seatpost slipping. My main issues have been eliminating play in the headset, I replaced the steered plug with one from Specialized and it seems much better. I’m also in the process of replacing a few of the bolts as the supplied ones are a bit soft and rust super quickly. A nice excuse to replace with some titanium.

I would say routing the cables for a mechanical groupset will be tricky. Di2 made for a very easy build.

It’s a great value frameset, no regrets from me so far.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #354 on: April 07, 2024, 09:28:06 AM »
I'm going to give another update:

I could not shake the feeling that the frame was very unstable in the front... So I checked the headset once again and I could still feel movement in the upper part when applying the front brake and rocking the bike front to back. I tried to increase the tension by tightening the upper bolt, but the only result was that the headset expander came loose.
I than exchanged the expander by another type and this was enough to be able to increase tension and remove the play in the headset. I did a 155km ride yesterday with a lot of fast descends and now the bike is stable. So the play in the headset was the cause of that.

The seatpost stays put with the 6Nm and a double layer of cloth tape. Since I seem to be one of the few with this problem, I presume the new seatpost clamp does solve problems with slipping.

The seller contacted me again on Aliexpress after denying warranty on the handlebar. They have agreed to send me a new handlebar and this should be on its way.

So after some work and tinkering, everything with the frame seems to be OK and the seller is also honouring the warranty after some convincing. I am happy with the frame now.

And to respond to the previous poster: routing cable for mechanical shifting is pretty straightforward, but you have to use a routing kit. At first I was struggling with the rear derailleur cable but when I started using the routing kit is was very easy. I would recommend getting some rubber or plastic cable sleeves for where the cables exit the frame since none are included.

Fleckinger

« Reply #355 on: April 07, 2024, 10:34:24 AM »
I had to apply a good amount of grip paste to get the expander plug to prevent slipping. I torqued plug to 6nm and it's fine.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #356 on: April 07, 2024, 11:28:44 AM »
I had to apply a good amount of grip paste to get the expander plug to prevent slipping. I torqued plug to 6nm and it's fine.

I had the same happen with my gravel bike, so I blame the crappy expander construction and not the frame. Lesson learned. From now on I'll use the better type of expander.
The "crappy"type of expander is also very prone to corrosion it seems. The springs were already very rusted on my Hygge.

Ronronson

« Reply #357 on: April 14, 2024, 02:55:46 AM »
I received my Model S last Friday (I opted to pay a bit more to avoid taxes), making it a total of 18 days from the order placement, which is quite reasonable. Initially, I was informed there would be an additional 5-day wait due to opting for a color that was out of stock. Here are my first impressions:

The rear triangle and fork don't seem to be the stiffest. This makes me wonder, especially since I have two other Chinese bikes that I've somewhat retired – one being a 2016 HM66 Hongfu and the other a 2017 Workswell endurance bike. I'm considering doing a comparison video and sharing it here. My usual ride is a 2018 Cannondale HM, which is noticeably stiffer, but then again, it was significantly more expensive.

The paint job is exceptional; it's hard to find any faults. The handlebar has surpassed my expectations; it's plenty stiff. There are definitely some rough edges inside the frame. I haven't finished building it yet, but I can feel some rough work between the top down tube and the head tube. The bottom bracket went on smoothly, the only component I've fitted so far.

I'm still waiting on some parts and pondering over the groupset. My plan is to build it with an Ultegra 11-speed mechanical groupset, as I didn't want to invest too much and see this more as a budget build, aiming for around £1200. I'll likely use a mix of Ltwoo R9 shifters, Ultegra R8000 & R8100 components, Elite wheels, etc. I'm not entirely sold on Chinese groupsets just yet.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #358 on: April 14, 2024, 06:12:12 AM »
I'm still waiting on some parts and pondering over the groupset. My plan is to build it with an Ultegra 11-speed mechanical groupset, as I didn't want to invest too much and see this more as a budget build, aiming for around £1200. I'll likely use a mix of Ltwoo R9 shifters, Ultegra R8000 & R8100 components, Elite wheels, etc. I'm not entirely sold on Chinese groupsets just yet.

I you want to go Ultegra 11-speed (like I did) I recommend you look for complete 2nd hand groupsets. There are a lot for sale and the prices and condition is very reasonable. You can even look on Ali for new (older) shimano groupsets. I have seen very good prices on those.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #359 on: April 18, 2024, 12:38:57 PM »
Looks like page 24 is busted.