Author Topic: Hygge Aero Carbon Frame  (Read 55936 times)

Thomas BT

Re: Hygge Aero Carbon Frame
« Reply #420 on: June 17, 2024, 01:50:38 AM »
You can't know much about aerodynamic efficiency by just looking at something. You need to test the stuff. Look at the nose of an F1 car, it's a very boxy shape.
Well there are still general rules that a profiled shape will be more effecient than a straigh surface. F1 can't be compared since they are made to create downforce

Thomas BT

« Reply #421 on: June 17, 2024, 01:51:40 AM »
Headtube on my bike is solid. Here some photo of downtube, hope it helps.
Yes great help, thank you very much. your bike looks stunning

RoadieMKD

« Reply #422 on: June 17, 2024, 03:52:06 AM »
It's been a while since I received the frame but was only able to build the bike 3 weeks ago since I was waiting for the Ultegra DI2 upgrade kit to become available as I did not want to buy a complete groupset and end up with a BB and crankset that I will not use (crank length 172.5- I use 170 and PF BB). Wheelset is Elitewheels 65mm.

The build was super easy as am experienced building and servicing bikes and every part fits easily and how it's supposed to be.

To address the main issues discussed in this forum, seat post slipping and headset play, I have to say that I did not experience any seatpost slipping, which is mainly due to upgraded seatpost clamp with horizontal striations that lock the grippy part of the seatpost very well, and the mandatory use of carbon paste. As for the headset play, I did some mods to the C-ring. These consist of applying aluminium tape on top of the C-ring to increase the thickness by 0.3 mm (the same can be done with microspacer but I did not have any, so tape it is) and also 3 layers on the inside where the C-ring interfaces the steerer tube. I think that the C-ring needs to be 8,2mm total thickness (stock is 7,9) to avoid headset cover rubbing on the frame. If I did not add the tape, it would have rubbed after torquing down the top cap to 2.5-3 Nm. Another thig is to use carbon assembly paste on stem/steerer interface. After the initial ride the play returned but I did not torque enough initially (only finger tight to take up the slack, which is not enough obviously). Another thing that I done is also applied thread locker to the nut part of the stem bolts since there was none there and the bolts were rattling themselves loose (torqued to 6Nm only to become finger tight) after only one ride. After the mods of the C ring and top cap tightening and thread locker to the stem nuts there is no more play after 500 km with deliberate riding over cracked roads.

The supplied garmin mount acts as a leaf spring vibrating the hell out of everything attached to it. So far it has costed me a GPS unit (IGP sport, perfectly fine) which vibrated to disintegration, and yesterday my light had shorted out due to the vibrations. Use aluminium mount which may be sturdier than this thing.

The ride feel, as mentioned by other riders is subjective, but compared to my Cube Agree GTC Pro is waaaayyyy better and the bike is stiffer, a lot more responsive, rails corners, fits me a lot better and added 2-3 kmh to my average speeds instantly. Cruising at 45 km/h on the flats seems effortless or at least a lot easier to maintain. Thanks to @TidyDinosaur for advising me on sizing - this thing fits me like a glove (175.5cm 82 cm inseam and went with size S) with full stack of spacers to begin with but as I become more familiar with the bike I will remove 1cm of stack.

Total cost of this project 2500 eur. Can't beat that with what you get for this price compared to western brands.

P.S. for some reason I am unable to post with attached picture. I was only able to add this post as a quick reply. Any ideas of what might be the issue?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2024, 03:54:49 AM by RoadieMKD »

Stephiso

« Reply #423 on: June 18, 2024, 01:16:37 PM »
I ordered and customised this compression ring on Aliexpress. The headset is now 100% free of play (without any torque struggles, just as it's meant to be and ever was on any bike). It seems to be the Specialized design. I hope that it is also a bit gentler for the steerer tube.
referring to the video by henrychungfitness:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805803796644.html

I had to widen the two openings a little so that the Shimano brake cables would fit through.

I cut off the outer plastic ring on the headset cap so that it doesn't rub on the frame.

Well i have received this compression ring. However i'm having trouble making the holes bigger to pass the hydraulic cables. Also I noticed you made the headset cover a bit shorter with just a knife. However, the the headset cover i received is aluminum so I think it'll be much more difficult :/

I will probably try with the aluminum tape method now

RoadieMKD

« Reply #424 on: June 18, 2024, 02:11:50 PM »
You can use saw drill bit, it will make easy work of the aluminium. As for the headset cover cutting, you would still need to use microspacers as the SL7 ring is thinner/sits lower than the one that is supplied with the frame and do NOT modify the headset cover. Get 0.3mm microspacers as they are dirt cheap on Alix and use the stock C ring.
Aluminium tape is not a permanent solution but it works for me so far.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2024, 01:56:44 AM by RoadieMKD »

RoadieMKD

« Reply #425 on: June 19, 2024, 03:58:39 AM »

The beautiful backdrop is Lake Ohrid, Macedonia

Thomas BT

« Reply #426 on: June 19, 2024, 06:28:45 AM »
It's been a while since I received the frame but was only able to build the bike 3 weeks ago since I was waiting for the Ultegra DI2 upgrade kit to become available as I did not want to buy a complete groupset and end up with a BB and crankset that I will not use (crank length 172.5- I use 170 and PF BB). Wheelset is Elitewheels 65mm.

The build was super easy as am experienced building and servicing bikes and every part fits easily and how it's supposed to be.

To address the main issues discussed in this forum, seat post slipping and headset play, I have to say that I did not experience any seatpost slipping, which is mainly due to upgraded seatpost clamp with horizontal striations that lock the grippy part of the seatpost very well, and the mandatory use of carbon paste. As for the headset play, I did some mods to the C-ring. These consist of applying aluminium tape on top of the C-ring to increase the thickness by 0.3 mm (the same can be done with microspacer but I did not have any, so tape it is) and also 3 layers on the inside where the C-ring interfaces the steerer tube. I think that the C-ring needs to be 8,2mm total thickness (stock is 7,9) to avoid headset cover rubbing on the frame. If I did not add the tape, it would have rubbed after torquing down the top cap to 2.5-3 Nm. Another thig is to use carbon assembly paste on stem/steerer interface. After the initial ride the play returned but I did not torque enough initially (only finger tight to take up the slack, which is not enough obviously). Another thing that I done is also applied thread locker to the nut part of the stem bolts since there was none there and the bolts were rattling themselves loose (torqued to 6Nm only to become finger tight) after only one ride. After the mods of the C ring and top cap tightening and thread locker to the stem nuts there is no more play after 500 km with deliberate riding over cracked roads.

The supplied garmin mount acts as a leaf spring vibrating the hell out of everything attached to it. So far it has costed me a GPS unit (IGP sport, perfectly fine) which vibrated to disintegration, and yesterday my light had shorted out due to the vibrations. Use aluminium mount which may be sturdier than this thing.

The ride feel, as mentioned by other riders is subjective, but compared to my Cube Agree GTC Pro is waaaayyyy better and the bike is stiffer, a lot more responsive, rails corners, fits me a lot better and added 2-3 kmh to my average speeds instantly. Cruising at 45 km/h on the flats seems effortless or at least a lot easier to maintain. Thanks to @TidyDinosaur for advising me on sizing - this thing fits me like a glove (175.5cm 82 cm inseam and went with size S) with full stack of spacers to begin with but as I become more familiar with the bike I will remove 1cm of stack.

Total cost of this project 2500 eur. Can't beat that with what you get for this price compared to western brands.

P.S. for some reason I am unable to post with attached picture. I was only able to add this post as a quick reply. Any ideas of what might be the issue?
What size of handlbar did you get?
I'm the same height as you so since I am ordrering the frame in same size as you I would be happy to know

RoadieMKD

« Reply #427 on: June 19, 2024, 06:50:49 AM »
I got the 380 x 100 mm. I have the saddle pushed forward where I have around 1,5cm - 2cm (or where the 1 mark on the Ryet saddle is met by the rear of the saddle clamp) left until there is no more rail in the back. Fits me very well. I do not consider myself super flexible, but I am flexible enough to keep an aero hood position for a very long time with no discomfort.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2024, 06:52:56 AM by RoadieMKD »

Allan_Hun

« Reply #428 on: June 19, 2024, 07:59:00 AM »
Does anyone know how to contact hygge-bikes.com ?
I want to purchase model s with integrated 40mm bars, extra hanger and hardware to mount traditional (not integrated) handle bar -so I can try different stem lenghts.
For my location hygge-bikes.com is cheaper than aliexpress but no one seems to monitor their chat function and I can't find any email....

BeR

« Reply #429 on: June 19, 2024, 08:06:31 AM »
Have you tried WhatsApp : +86 186 7699 3367 ?
If give a number is not allowed, let me know.

Stephiso

« Reply #430 on: June 19, 2024, 08:59:28 AM »
You can use saw drill bit, it will make easy work of the aluminium. As for the headset cover cutting, you would still need to use microspacers as the SL7 ring is thinner/sits lower than the one that is supplied with the frame and do NOT modify the headset cover. Get 0.3mm microspacers as they are dirt cheap on Alix and use the stock C ring.
Aluminium tape is not a permanent solution but it works for me so far.

Thanks RoadieMKD.

0.3mm spacer makes sense on top of the C-ring makes sense to adjust the thickness, however you also mentioned that you added 3 layers where it interfaces with the steerer tube. What will be your permanent solution for that one if you have one already?

Thanks

RoadieMKD

« Reply #431 on: June 20, 2024, 12:14:13 AM »
Thanks RoadieMKD.

0.3mm spacer makes sense on top of the C-ring makes sense to adjust the thickness, however you also mentioned that you added 3 layers where it interfaces with the steerer tube. What will be your permanent solution for that one if you have one already?

Thanks

For the interface I would use 0.1mm shim steel and wrap it around the steerer similarly as the SL7 style ring (to leave a small gap at the back) and this will also protect the steerer from the C ring (the ring has lips on top and bottom from the inside, and these need to be sanded down lightly). For now, as everything works with my mods on the ring, I do not plan to do anything, but if, knock on wood, the play returns these will be my go-to solutions.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2024, 12:19:05 AM by RoadieMKD »

Allan_Hun

« Reply #432 on: June 21, 2024, 08:17:11 AM »
So I want to build a bike with hygge model s (disc) frame, 45x30mm carbon rims and shimano 105 di2.
But I know very little about cranks and bottom brackets. So I'm hoping someone could tell me what I need to purchase to fit 105 di2 on the frame?

RoadieMKD

« Reply #433 on: June 21, 2024, 08:29:43 AM »
So I want to build a bike with hygge model s (disc) frame, 45x30mm carbon rims and shimano 105 di2.
But I know very little about cranks and bottom brackets. So I'm hoping someone could tell me what I need to purchase to fit 105 di2 on the frame?

You would need BSA (threaded) bottom bracket to fit the cranks. If you are purchasing complete groupset, search for the BSA bottom bracket version.

Stephiso

« Reply #434 on: June 21, 2024, 11:03:48 AM »

You can get the Shimano Ultegra Bottom Bracket for like 20$ USD on aliexpress if you want to stick with shimano everything. You will also need the tool to be able to install it to the frame. You can buy an off brand tool as it doesn't matter too much, unless you're planning to building multiple bikes, no need to splurge on an expensive one