Author Topic: Hygge Aero Carbon Frame  (Read 43126 times)

Dmgreen13

Re: Hygge Aero Carbon Frame
« Reply #225 on: October 14, 2023, 06:44:58 PM »
Fork rigidity test:

For the sheer joy of testing and its simplicity, I decided to apply lateral force to the fork arms and measure the resulting deflection. While this test may not directly correlate with real-world scenarios it does provide a general insight into its rigidity. (A fork is primarily designed to withstand vertical forces, as well as forces opposing the direction of travel :D, in reality it is reinforced by the wheel's axle.)

I compared the deflection measurements to those of a 2021 KTM Revelator Alto fork:
KTM: 101.16 -> 98.20mm (3%)
HYGGE: 98.50mm -> 89.56mm (9%)

Indeed, the significant difference in deflection (3 times, that's a huge difference!!) measurements between the two forks raises valid concerns about the safety and overall performance of the fork.

That's really interesting. My 2013 Orbea Orca has about 30mm of flex in the same way you have demonstrated. I have done over 30,000km on this with no problem whatsoever.  I'm not sure what the concern is when any flex is limited as there is a wheel axle limiting any movement.

My real concern with any cheaper frame is the steerer tube not braking or cracking.

What is the weight difference between the two forks you compared?

joegal

« Reply #226 on: October 15, 2023, 01:48:49 AM »

- The handlebar is just one of the cheap generic ones from aliexpress. It feels extremely flexy, I'm not sure I trust this one.
You can often find it branded as Kocevlo, but there are many other brandings too:
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005006028345937.html
Strangely, their website shows a completely different cockpit and headset assembly:
https://hygge-bikes.com/products/high-performance-integrated-road-handlebar

I am confused by your statement about the cockpit being flexible.
People write a fair amount of positive feedback on the "the one pro", kecevlo, etc. handlebars which are all the same as the one you got.

Maybe the Lack of siffness correlates with your headset Player issue and your high spacer stack.

Do the others have some additional feedback on the handlebars? I am thinking about getting a set.

BeR

« Reply #227 on: October 15, 2023, 04:35:56 AM »
Headset assembly:

I received the headset unit (pic headset_assembly_label.png) with cone A, but unfortunately, part B is missing. The problem is that cone A is not flexible. While the outer conical surface (blue) fits snugly into the inner bearing ring, the inner surface (green) lacks a positively interlocking connection with the steerer tube. An additional clamping ring is missing here, which could possibly press A and steerer tube together. Or cone A should be designed to be flexible to clamp itself onto the steerer tube due to its conical shape and the force from above.
I am not sure how cone B is designed, but if it is flexible, this might be the solution. A flexible cone is 'advertised' on hygge-bikes.com.
Another example of a flexible topcap:
https://ritcheylogic.com/bike/headsets/Switch-upper-headset
It's frustrating that such small details were messed up. Play in the headset (on a new bike) sucks! Luckily this should be easily fixable with another top-cap/cone. Top bearing and steerer are standard, but will the interfacing to the spacer dovetails (or if spacer are swapped too, to the stem) then fit?

Here is my part. It is the hygge_bikes_com of your picture.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #228 on: October 15, 2023, 05:41:50 AM »
People write a fair amount of positive feedback on the "the one pro", kecevlo, etc. handlebars which are all the same as the one you got.

Maybe the Lack of siffness correlates with your headset Player issue and your high spacer stack.

Do the others have some additional feedback on the handlebars? I am thinking about getting a set.

I have no problem with the handlebars. Plenty stiff for me... But I almost never do a sprint (I don't even think I ever did a decent sprint now I think about it). So maybe I'm not a good reference...
I think they look nice. I like the sharper edges on the handlebars compared to the ones that came with my TFSA frame (Black Inc. Barstem copy)

fabxyz

« Reply #229 on: October 15, 2023, 06:08:07 AM »

No, that are two different topics. There is play in the headset, I do not consider that as flex. The steerer is super stiff, the high spacer stack doesn't add a lot of flex (if any).

The handlebar is super flexy (I got the 380/120mm). You can already feel a slight flex on the brifters, but that's okay. In the drops I can bend it more than 1cm in any direction.
For sprinters this is not acceptable and I've never seen that on handlebars from reputable brands (neither alu nor carbon, they are all much stiffer).
A few years ago I had a Chinese carbon cockpit with a similar bend, it started creaking and I ended up breaking both handlebar sides right at the STI attachment point, during a load test.

The good news is that his cockpit isn't creaking yet, I'm not a sprinter, I'll keep using it (at least in the off-season).

fabxyz

« Reply #230 on: October 15, 2023, 06:10:13 AM »
Here is my part. It is the hygge_bikes_com of your picture.

So you got the headset with the silver flexible top cone? The one with the smal (1mm) compression gap?

BeR

« Reply #231 on: October 15, 2023, 08:41:40 AM »
So you got the headset with the silver flexible top cone? The one with the smal (1mm) compression gap?

Those components in red. I don't have the bottom part full closed likes on your second picture.

Okay

« Reply #232 on: October 18, 2023, 12:30:57 AM »
Same set of headset parts here

Dmgreen13

« Reply #233 on: October 18, 2023, 12:39:05 AM »
Same set of headset parts here

Looks to be the standard parts that it comes with. Mine were all the same as yours.

Okay

« Reply #234 on: October 18, 2023, 01:04:58 AM »
It seems that the manufacturer has changed the steering kit, the hardware used to be more varied before.
Otherwise, I have no complaints, the frame looks amazing, I hope it will be the same in use.
The weight for size M with steel screws is 980 grams, the fork with the axle - 388, the seatpost - 202, the handlebar with stem (400/120) - 368.9 grams.

I'd like to specifically note the presence of carbon highlights under the matte varnish of the black version without decals. Usually, manufacturers hide imperfections in the frame's weave under black primer, but in this case, the primer seems transparent. This speaks highly of the manufacturer.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 01:08:18 AM by Okay »

Benbenben

« Reply #235 on: October 20, 2023, 03:15:20 PM »
I am debating between the velobuild vbr 177 and this Hygge model s. Any of you guys with the model s that also has experience with the vbr177?

Okay

« Reply #236 on: October 21, 2023, 11:58:24 PM »
Finished assembling a bike on this frame. Wanted to share my thoughts with future buyers. This isn't some cheap Chinese wonder, you get what you pay for. Inside, there will be ugly blobs of glue, and there's an unsightly gap between the seat post hole and the frame. The di2 cable routing was intricate; I had to put in some effort to route the cable for the rear derailleur. Otherwise, everything's fine, done one indoor workout - it works quite nicely.

The matte black color is quite odd because of all these carbon reflections; perhaps I should have gone with a different finish.

Upd.
The 32mm tires fit, leaving a small mud clearance.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 01:12:49 AM by Okay »

Okay

« Reply #237 on: October 22, 2023, 04:27:29 AM »
I am debating between the velobuild vbr 177 and this Hygge model s. Any of you guys with the model s that also has experience with the vbr177?
As I see, Velobuild has updated the model 177 and now it supports tires up to 32mm, it also has a round seat post and a slightly higher stack. Additionally, the manufacturer indicates EPS molding on the website. Considering this, I would prefer Velobuild.

Ahuevos

« Reply #238 on: October 24, 2023, 10:05:55 AM »
Fork rigidity test:

For the sheer joy of testing and its simplicity, I decided to apply lateral force to the fork arms and measure the resulting deflection. While this test may not directly correlate with real-world scenarios it does provide a general insight into its rigidity. (A fork is primarily designed to withstand vertical forces, as well as forces opposing the direction of travel :D, in reality it is reinforced by the wheel's axle.)

I compared the deflection measurements to those of a 2021 KTM Revelator Alto fork:
KTM: 101.16 -> 98.20mm (3%)
HYGGE: 98.50mm -> 89.56mm (9%)

Indeed, the significant difference in deflection (3 times, that's a huge difference!!) measurements between the two forks raises valid concerns about the safety and overall performance of the fork.

You have hit on my main problem in buying these frames.

Some time ago I bought a Spanish brand of frame (CBK) I think manufactured in ICAN. After some time I improved my performance and noticed how in short and strong intervals it gave a flexing sensation.
I switched to Merida Scultura and buaf, new world, much more stiffness and I can't put fork and chainstays together with my hands.
Currently, I have a max power of 1300W, and I want to look for a frame with disc brakes and internal cabling, but at less than 700usd, I doubt the stiffness.

I like Elves, Hygge....

Yunglord

« Reply #239 on: October 24, 2023, 12:12:41 PM »
You have hit on my main problem in buying these frames.

Some time ago I bought a Spanish brand of frame (CBK) I think manufactured in ICAN. After some time I improved my performance and noticed how in short and strong intervals it gave a flexing sensation.
I switched to Merida Scultura and buaf, new world, much more stiffness and I can't put fork and chainstays together with my hands.
Currently, I have a max power of 1300W, and I want to look for a frame with disc brakes and internal cabling, but at less than 700usd, I doubt the stiffness.

I like Elves, Hygge....

Check for the Speeder frames if you want something stiff I have their R48D and it's just as stiff or more then my allez sprint disc.