Author Topic: Gravel e-bikes?  (Read 2590 times)

FullCarbonAlchemist

Gravel e-bikes?
« on: April 07, 2022, 07:08:08 PM »
I’ve had my eye on something similar to the GT eGrade Current (flat bar, 250w wheel motor and small 250wh battery in the relatively normal sized down tube) for a while, but would consider more of a normal crank type motor and large battery too.

Preference is for something that has good geometry for a flat bar, or an extremely upright drop bar setup; my spine has had it with my current gravel bike which is a fairly upright drop bar. Otherwise pretty standard modern gravel attributes: throughaxles, clearance for at least 42-45mm tires and preferably 50mm+, solid construction, and hopefully compatible with suspension forks like the Fox 32 AX or Rockshox Rudy. Though I’d probably do an initial build with an ordinary solid fork.

atlet

Re: Gravel e-bikes?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2023, 05:41:56 PM »
Did you find any frame and motor?

cybrsrce

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2023, 06:49:31 AM »
Closest thing I found was https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804828954669.html
It doesn't seem to have a lot of clearance but I was considering the with 650b x 40c tires for basic rail trails.  Decided to go with a low end hardtail emtb instead.

Firon

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2023, 11:02:32 PM »

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2023, 03:00:04 PM »
here are 2 choices

hub-drive: https://lfbikes.com/products/quicksilver

mid-drive: https://lfbikes.com/products/eagle

Interesting bikes, though I can’t find any geometry or sizing.

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2023, 03:10:24 PM »
Did you find any frame and motor?

I’m still waiting to put together the money for my next gravel bike. Right now I’m focused on getting one that has updated, suspension corrected geometry (and has a high stock bar height, as those tend to) and gets me all the modern stuff my current GT Grade V1 lacks like 50mm tire clearance, dropper compatibility etc.

At the moment I’m seriously considering the Grade V3 which just came out about a month ago, and has all those things. I know some folks at the “new” GT who can hook me up with a deal and I’d be happy to have an excuse to keep riding at least one of their bikes now that I’ve been doing my own Carbonda MTB frame builds for the past couple of years.

I could be convinced to get a “Chinese” gravel e-bike but it would have to be a really good deal and offer a very upright riding position that isn’t too stretched out or has too many non-standard parts (triangular steerer spacers etc). I want to ride with acoustic gravel groups who are culturally MTB riders and I feel like I’d be happier with a more modern bike that has a suspension fork for that.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 05:18:36 PM by FullCarbonAlchemist »

Tijoe

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2023, 02:52:09 PM »
My next generation gravel bike gets configured using my SPCycle 29er Carbon, 1 X 12, hardtail frame, where I swap to a rigid Trifox 29er carbon fork.  I use my narrower width 29er carbon Clannad rimmed wheels with 50mm/2" low rolling resistance tires and a Carbon ZNIINO gravel "H" bar.   This configuration weighs about a pound less than my gravel bike.
I used this bike for my latest 2 day grovel grinder trip and loved it.  I was able to descend so much faster than the other riders in my group who were riding their traditional grovel bikes with 38mm tires, and I climbed almost as fast as they did.

Firon

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2023, 03:22:40 AM »
Interesting bikes, though I can’t find any geometry or sizing.

Eagle's geo//sizing are there.