Author Topic: Yishun R086-D Aero Road  (Read 20564 times)

neobiker

Re: Yishun R086-D Aero Road
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2023, 02:40:56 AM »
The Tofla is the R068-D [it might my next bike], the Cupra is probably the 1058, and maybe an unreleased bike for the fusion X? It looks really cool like the Scott foil.

ENEP

« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2023, 03:26:01 AM »
And the R086-D ist this modell:
https://prorace.be/bikes/aero/randa/

What are the other ones from prorace.be?
https://prorace.be/bikes/aero/fusion-x/ ?
https://prorace.be/bikes/lightweight/cura/ ?

https://prorace.be/bikes/tofla/ ? ( this one looks very good and sporty vor an endurance...?)

Thank you for finding and sharing theese. The Tofla seems to be Yishun R068-D which is on my shortlist. I've been waiting to see it painted and built up. Seeing it now as a Tofla I must say it looks great for an endurance category bike. If only LightCarbon could adopt the R068-D so I can have it painted straight away also it would be perfect.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 03:27:58 AM by ENEP »

Dark17

« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2023, 04:16:25 AM »
Yesterday I brought the R086-D to my weekly fast group ride. The 2 hour training ride consists of a section of rolling hills and several sprint/drag points where we can easily hit 38-40mph on the flats with a proper tailwind. While it's technically not a road race (we re-group after every sprint section and traffic light) all the local race clubs do show up to make it quite competitive. For these type of rides I only trust my T1500 and Allez Sprint for obvious reasons.

Last year as an experiment I once brought my VeloBuild VB-168 with the same Elite Drive 65D wheels as a test. Big mistake. I was struggling all evening to put the power down as the 168 was noticeably sluggish/flexy (for me). Not great out of the saddle either.

I can confirm with both Bike Radar and Road.cc that the R086-D is a proper aero bike. Sprinting, climbing, handling into the corners at speed. The bike is fast on the flats and I did not detect any noticeable deficiencies compared to the T1500 and Allez Sprint. In fact this frame may just be slightly faster on the flats than the Allez Sprint, but I don't have any scientific data to prove it.

I've been showing up to this group ride for 2 years. Everyone knows each other well. But last night I was complimented on my ability for closing down gaps and make several bridges to the lead groups attacking up the road (I never do this LoL). While some of this is from experience and fitness, honestly the R086-D is such a bike to ridden fast with confidence.

Last thing note about the frameset specifically - I would invest in some microshims for underneath the headset cover and do a dry run of fitting the entire cockpit (including the expander plug and compression cap) before permanently routing the cables. Initially the headset cover was very slightly rubbing on the headtube. A 0.25mm microshim immediately solved the issue. I can't say if the problem was a anecdotal or a tolerance-related. No one else has reported it but just a heads up to be safe.

How's your experience on the climbs? Is it better than most of the lightweight bikes? Reason I asked because it's hilly on our place and i might be having some issues climbing with this bike rather than the current one I have (Merida Scultura).
rematistang jempoy (sprinter fred) from The Philippines

Sebastian

« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2023, 05:45:54 AM »
The Tofla is the R068-D [it might my next bike], the Cupra is probably the 1058, and maybe an unreleased bike for the fusion X? It looks really cool like the Scott foil.

Looks like the TanTan X38.

PLA

« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2023, 09:59:27 AM »
Geometry for the R086-D is now updated live on the website.
It’s so clearly a LARP of an aero bike.

Sakizashi

« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2023, 12:23:57 PM »
And the R086-D ist this modell:
https://prorace.be/bikes/aero/randa/

What are the other ones from prorace.be?
https://prorace.be/bikes/aero/fusion-x/ ?
https://prorace.be/bikes/lightweight/cura/ ?

https://prorace.be/bikes/tofla/ ? ( this one looks very good and sporty vor an endurance...?)

The Cura also has a different geometry than Yishun has on their own website. Curious to see if that also gets updated over time. For a long time I thought that the Flybike Carbonda stuff was a cut above the other available open molds, but the recent stuff on here from Yishun is really impressive and I am certainly following the 1058-d to see where it goes.

Dark17

« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2023, 02:02:51 PM »
Cura's 546 / 383 stack/reach is familiar to me. I just can't remember where I saw that stack/reach
rematistang jempoy (sprinter fred) from The Philippines

PLA

« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2023, 03:56:04 AM »
The Cura also has a different geometry than Yishun has on their own website. Curious to see if that also gets updated over time. For a long time I thought that the Flybike Carbonda stuff was a cut above the other available open molds, but the recent stuff on here from Yishun is really impressive and I am certainly following the 1058-d to see where it goes.

R086-D on yishun site had error, just updated yesterday

chughes

« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2023, 01:54:29 PM »
Yesterday I brought the R086-D to my weekly fast group ride. The 2 hour training ride consists of a section of rolling hills and several sprint/drag points where we can easily hit 38-40mph on the flats with a proper tailwind. While it's technically not a road race (we re-group after every sprint section and traffic light) all the local race clubs do show up to make it quite competitive. For these type of rides I only trust my T1500 and Allez Sprint for obvious reasons.

Last year as an experiment I once brought my VeloBuild VB-168 with the same Elite Drive 65D wheels as a test. Big mistake. I was struggling all evening to put the power down as the 168 was noticeably sluggish/flexy (for me). Not great out of the saddle either.

I can confirm with both Bike Radar and Road.cc that the R086-D is a proper aero bike. Sprinting, climbing, handling into the corners at speed. The bike is fast on the flats and I did not detect any noticeable deficiencies compared to the T1500 and Allez Sprint. In fact this frame may just be slightly faster on the flats than the Allez Sprint, but I don't have any scientific data to prove it.

I've been showing up to this group ride for 2 years. Everyone knows each other well. But last night I was complimented on my ability for closing down gaps and make several bridges to the lead groups attacking up the road (I never do this LoL). While some of this is from experience and fitness, honestly the R086-D is such a bike to ridden fast with confidence.

Last thing note about the frameset specifically - I would invest in some microshims for underneath the headset cover and do a dry run of fitting the entire cockpit (including the expander plug and compression cap) before permanently routing the cables. Initially the headset cover was very slightly rubbing on the headtube. A 0.25mm microshim immediately solved the issue. I can't say if the problem was a anecdotal or a tolerance-related. No one else has reported it but just a heads up to be safe.

Patrick, I decided to make the leap especially after reading some of the reviews of brands using that frameset. Wanted the integrated handlebar { 400±10 g} but they had none available at 38cm so i went the sep bar and stem route { 250+-/10g +  163±5g) especially since strangely there seemed hardly any weight difference. Looking at the pics, the stem looks like the sep stem/bar one for Velobuilt VBR 168. This then makes me wonder if i can use a integrated stem and bar combo I have on the VBR168 {got it from a company called airwolf). Plan to install semi hydraulic callipers {found some really good ones -ONIRII) and go the di2 11 speed route. Should save me at least 200 grams vs going 12 speed di2 105 or Ltwoo ERX.

wandulus

« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2023, 01:31:48 AM »

Nice to read that Pat.
Just to be curious, W/Kg of that "race" rides?

PLA

« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2023, 07:45:28 AM »
I am 183cm tall.

https://geometrygeeks.bike/ is a great resource to compare frames and sizes to your current bike.

Just a heads up - Yishun only provides 20-25mm of spacers.

You have a long torso and short legs right?

patliean1

« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2023, 09:26:11 AM »
Yishun is building me a set of these wheels to test. They should be delivered this week:

https://www.yishunbike.com/product/rbd50c/

Model 206DB-RBD50C
-Arch Bridge design (think ENVE/Princeton)
-50mm Depth
-Ext Width 30mm, Int Width 23mm  8)
-Pillar Wing 20 Spokes
-Straight pull hubs w/ ENDURO bearings, 36T star ratchet (DT style)
-Claimed weigh around 1490g

From Yishun:
"Net price 539 usd + delivery cost 100 usd around, we sell to others."

My Winspace Hyper D67 wheels are my road favorite wheels. However, they are freaking $1500 now  :o
I recently have been testing Magene's latest DB508 Ultra wheels with 23mm internal width and let me tell you - this has been a game changer for me. The comfort of 23mm width internal is superior to 21mm because of the wider contact patch the tire has to the road. And you can run slightly lower tire pressure.

I say this to say that I'm really looking forward to these Yishun wheels. They should easily become my most versatile set of wheels for both road and gravel. And I think for the price, they will give Yoeleo and other sub-$1000 wheels a run for their money. Xiamen wheel builders (Yishun, Wheelsfar, Light Bicycle) offer some of the best value for wheels. However, the majority of the wheel expense come from using brand name hubs like DT Swiss or Chris King. I have found that the recent star ratchet design Xiamen wheel builders are using are just as good. And MUCH cheaper.

WhityWhite

« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2023, 10:38:47 AM »
Yishun is building me a set of these wheels to test. They should be delivered this week:

https://www.yishunbike.com/product/rbd50c/

Model 206DB-RBD50C
-Arch Bridge design (think ENVE/Princeton)
-50mm Depth
-Ext Width 30mm, Int Width 23mm  8)
-Pillar Wing 20 Spokes
-Straight pull hubs w/ ENDURO bearings, 36T star ratchet (DT style)
-Claimed weigh around 1490g

From Yishun:
"Net price 539 usd + delivery cost 100 usd around, we sell to others."

My Winspace Hyper D67 wheels are my road favorite wheels. However, they are freaking $1500 now  :o
I recently have been testing Magene's latest DB508 Ultra wheels with 23mm internal width and let me tell you - this has been a game changer for me. The comfort of 23mm width internal is superior to 21mm because of the wider contact patch the tire has to the road. And you can run slightly lower tire pressure.

I say this to say that I'm really looking forward to these Yishun wheels. They should easily become my most versatile set of wheels for both road and gravel. And I think for the price, they will give Yoeleo and other sub-$1000 wheels a run for their money. Xiamen wheel builders (Yishun, Wheelsfar, Light Bicycle) offer some of the best value for wheels. However, the majority of the wheel expense come from using brand name hubs like DT Swiss or Chris King. I have found that the recent star ratchet design Xiamen wheel builders are using are just as good. And MUCH cheaper.

Exactly these wheels I have also been offered!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 12:51:57 PM by WhityWhite »

chughes

« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2023, 12:23:10 PM »
@patliean1 been watching their wheels for some months now  LightCarbon Super Light C67DB Undulating) but from one of their other name's cproxy, 45=50 mm depth, 1319 grams, more thinking a Christmas gift to myself. How are you finding the yoelero sat wheels?

patliean1

« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2023, 12:36:21 PM »
@patliean1 been watching their wheels for some months now  LightCarbon Super Light C67DB Undulating) but from one of their other name's cproxy, 45=50 mm depth, 1319 grams, more thinking a Christmas gift to myself. How are you finding the yoelero sat wheels?

The Yoeleo Pro 50 wheels are very comfortable especially with latex tubes. Steel spokes in general just handle bad roads better than carbon spokes. My original set of Magene Exar wheels also came with steel spokes, and I paired them tubeless 32 Conti GP5000s. Both the Yoeleo and Magene are like riding on clouds.

Besides being a bit of a weight weenie, I still do prefer carbon spokes for the stiffness, lighter weight, and tire feedback. One thing I should note regarding the R086-D frameset: It's not the most comfortable bike when ridden slowly. I think steel spoke wheel will help but then you will lose a little bit of responsiveness. Then again you can always increase the tire pressure. The bike truly comes alive when ridden fast or at least at tempo.