Author Topic: TT-X21 topcap broken - TanTan does not have replacements  (Read 494 times)

ldavies

TT-X21 topcap broken - TanTan does not have replacements
« on: August 21, 2023, 03:16:24 PM »
Hi all,
Anyone have an idea as to where to get a replacement top cap for a TT-X21?  This is the one that goes with the handlebar that is attached to the fork steerer tube with a wedge/expander thingy.  Pictures of the wedge and broken top cap attached.  And Tan Tan says they do not have any replacements!!!!!!!
Lloyd

blublob

Re: TT-X21 topcap broken - TanTan does not have replacements
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2023, 10:36:18 AM »
I don't have a source for a replacement top cap. I could probably model and print you one though, if you are located somewhere sending a package from Germany to is not outrageously expensive. You wouldn't be able to preload the steerer with it - you would have to use a normal round cap for that - but it should look pretty decent.
Is my assumption correct that the only thing broken is the chamfer interfacing with the screw?

bremerradkurier

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2023, 02:49:45 PM »
Depending on how the dimensions match up, maybe drill the second hole in one of these caps?

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804647093885.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.28.21ef1802h226db&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

ldavies

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2023, 07:15:09 PM »
I don't have a source for a replacement top cap. I could probably model and print you one though, if you are located somewhere sending a package from Germany to is not outrageously expensive. You wouldn't be able to preload the steerer with it - you would have to use a normal round cap for that - but it should look pretty decent.
Is my assumption correct that the only thing broken is the chamfer interfacing with the screw?
Thank you for the kind offer but I think the other one mentioned in the post above will fit with a few small adjustments which I can do with sandpaper.

ldavies

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2023, 07:16:09 PM »
Depending on how the dimensions match up, maybe drill the second hole in one of these caps?

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804647093885.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.28.21ef1802h226db&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa
Thank you so much.  Dimensions will ft almost exactly and I think I will be able to modify it as I need with a bit of sandpaper.  Two are on teh way from Aliexpress.

Lloyd