Author Topic: Rimbrake Frame recommendation  (Read 1558 times)

daniel87

Re: Rimbrake Frame recommendation
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2023, 10:04:39 AM »
That is probably the difference, I have already built a Chinese frame a DengFu FM066SL ten years ago.

I am looking for rim brake aero frame to last a few years. So I am looking at the top end, hence Giant Propel SL, Scott Foil RC etc.

An Aeroad would work, but they are rare (and expensive) in Australia.

Prices locally:
2015 Merida Reacto 7000 frame with brakes 300EUR (would like the next model)
Cheap Chinese rim brake aero frame + shipping and taxes 450EUR
2017 Scott Foil frame 600EUR (XL I need M/L)
Velobuild VB-R218  with integrated handlebar + shipping and taxes 660EUR
2017 Giant Propel SL complete bike with Ultegra + training wheels 900EUR (ISP cut 20mm short for me)

On my search I am finding out most people do not ride 10,000+km a year ;-) Most do a lot less and rarely in the rain. I can spot crash damage, so will avoid frames/bikes that have been in crashes (unlike the ones I already own)

Still buying second hand has it risks as does buying a Chinese frame, particularly the cheaper ones.

For me I see more value buying a five year old premium rim braked aero frame that has probably done less than 10,000km than a new frame from China.

Should i ask you,how you can spot crash damage?

I can't tell if it's just paint peeling off or cracks in the carbon.

Do you have any tips when looking at used carbon frames?

Froglover825

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2023, 07:19:14 PM »
That is probably the difference, I have already built a Chinese frame a DengFu FM066SL ten years ago.

I am looking for rim brake aero frame to last a few years. So I am looking at the top end, hence Giant Propel SL, Scott Foil RC etc.

An Aeroad would work, but they are rare (and expensive) in Australia.

Prices locally:
2015 Merida Reacto 7000 frame with brakes 300EUR (would like the next model)
Cheap Chinese rim brake aero frame + shipping and taxes 450EUR
2017 Scott Foil frame 600EUR (XL I need M/L)
Velobuild VB-R218  with integrated handlebar + shipping and taxes 660EUR
2017 Giant Propel SL complete bike with Ultegra + training wheels 900EUR (ISP cut 20mm short for me)

On my search I am finding out most people do not ride 10,000+km a year ;-) Most do a lot less and rarely in the rain. I can spot crash damage, so will avoid frames/bikes that have been in crashes (unlike the ones I already own)

Still buying second hand has it risks as does buying a Chinese frame, particularly the cheaper ones.

For me I see more value buying a five year old premium rim braked aero frame that has probably done less than 10,000km than a new frame from China.
The giant TCR's are really cheap here second hand, i've seen 3~ year old frame go for $500 aud.
I'm almost tempted to get one with an ISP and spend the money saved on a premium western one piece handlebar.

daniel87

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2023, 06:28:55 AM »
The giant TCR's are really cheap here second hand, i've seen 3~ year old frame go for $500 aud.
I'm almost tempted to get one with an ISP and spend the money saved on a premium western one piece handlebar.

I would like to live in Australia for Ride :)

jefflinde

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2023, 10:38:55 AM »
Yes you are right. That Fram is perfect ,so i did write E-Mail yesterday for LCR006-V but Wendy said MOQ is 100 set.

You could ask if she knows of a reseller that has them.  Also the LCR014 frame is very close.  Brakes are under the chainstays but that may be a no MOQ frame.   

jefflinde

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2023, 10:41:05 AM »
Velobuild also has the 218 with brakes on the seat stays. 

daniel87

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2023, 11:04:19 AM »
You could ask if she knows of a reseller that has them.  Also the LCR014 frame is very close.  Brakes are under the chainstays but that may be a no MOQ frame.

It is great Idea.  now LCRXS-V, LTK 268-V and SC-R48V(This is not Aero Frame) are in my list.

daniel87

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2023, 11:05:00 AM »
Velobuild also has the 218 with brakes on the seat stays.

Thank you for recommendation but it looks copy of Dogma.

daniel87

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2023, 01:06:29 PM »
Has anyone heared this company "Ornan" before?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 03:03:23 PM by daniel87 »

bremerradkurier

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2023, 02:13:50 PM »
Has anyone heared this Marke "Ornan" before?

Somewhat unintentionally funny name for the German market-Does one O(r)nanieren while riding this brand? 

nickobec

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2023, 08:23:48 AM »
Should i ask you,how you can spot crash damage?

I can't tell if it's just paint peeling off or cracks in the carbon.

Do you have any tips when looking at used carbon frames?
I would avoid anything with peeling paint, might no be a crack but why take a risk. You want a decent frame, not one with damaged paint.

I would looking at the bike to see if it has been crashed, tell tale signs, badly grazed:
QR skewers, handlebars (pop the end caps off and feel for sharp edges), levers, hoods, saddle

Some saddles have marks from resting against objects, but sliding down the road will rip a chunk out of a saddle.

on a frame look for grazes on the forks, chain stays and seat stays.

An unscrupulous seller, might replace the parts, the could also patch any damage and get it properly resprayed (but if they go to that level, the repair is probably very good and the frame stronger than before and a few grams heavier).  If you notice a respray avoid.

JimLee

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2023, 01:45:20 AM »
Thank you for recommendation but it looks copy of Dogma.
LCROX-V and LCRXS-V now no MOQ, one set is ok, in special price.