Other Resources > Maintenance, Mechanics, & Tools

Grease / Thread lock / Anti-seize

(1/4) > >>

BeR:
I have tried to identify all the components that require the application of a product before being installed on a carbon road bike.

Please feel free to correct me or add other components that I may have forgotten :

Headset bearing : Grease
Stem on the fork : Carbon paste
Handlebar on the stem : Carbon paste
Stem bolt: Blue thread lock
Front and rear caliper bolt : Blue thread lock
Front derailleur mounting bolt : Blue thread lock
Rear derailleur mounting bolt : Anti-seize (not sure)
Seatpost : Carbon paste
Threaded BB (like BSA 68 mm) : Anti-seize
Pedals : Anti-seize (not sure)
Thread of the thru axle : Anti-seize (not sure)
Middle of the thru axle : Grease
Freewheel body : Grease
Crankset : Grease

electrolux:
For the purposes of a bike I would imagine grease would happily replace anti seize + carbon paste for seatpost.

Wet Noodle:

--- Quote from: electrolux on September 09, 2023, 10:23:10 AM ---For the purposes of a bike I would imagine grease would happily replace ... carbon paste for seatpost.

--- End quote ---

Not for cf seatposts. The grease might be happy, but neither your cf seatpost nor you. For one thing, some greases will do strange things to the clearcoat and/or epoxy, giving it a gummy gooey surface and whatnot. But more importantly, grease will make already slippy cf seatposts slip even more, requiring more torque, making it easier to crack them. Carbon paste has its uses and the crunchy bits in it are there for a reason.

jonathanf2:
I wouldn't go too crazy with blue thread lock. Plus regular grease can be used on most areas. I only use CF paste on the seat post, saddle clamp and the fork expander plug. I think proper torque settings is the more important aspect when building a carbon bike.

BeR:

--- Quote from: jonathanf2 on September 09, 2023, 11:21:21 AM ---I wouldn't go too crazy with blue thread lock. Plus regular grease can be used on most areas. I only use CF paste on the seat post, saddle clamp and the fork expander plug. I think proper torque settings is the more important aspect when building a carbon bike.

--- End quote ---

What will you apply to the screws instead of blue thread ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version