Author Topic: Goldix/Evosid Dimpled Crankset  (Read 4165 times)

jonathanf2

Re: Goldix/Evosid Dimpled Crankset
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2023, 12:24:55 PM »
This is the lightest bang-for-buck (sub-$50 USD) crankset on AliEx. Yes they are a bit sketchy, but I love them! I have them mounted on my 1x gravel bike paired with a Pass Quest aero 1x chainring. I'm not sure if the hollowed out crank arms might affect your aero, but I'm guessing side winds won't be an issue. AliEX DIY hack is to toss the stock pinch bolts from the non-drive side and replace them with M5x25mm titanium screws. This will allow slightly higher screw torque at 8-9nm. Stock steel screws will start rounding out beyond 7nm and cause creaking under high torque at that torque range. Trace Velo had creaking issues and I believe it was due to the pinch bolts being inadequate.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804815422658.html

GXP/Direct mount 1x aero chainring (make sure to get ordinary if you're not using SRAM AXS):
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804752779564.html

sandwich

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2023, 07:05:50 AM »
This is the lightest bang-for-buck (sub-$50 USD) crankset on AliEx. Yes they are a bit sketchy, but I love them! I have them mounted on my 1x gravel bike paired with a Pass Quest aero 1x chainring. I'm not sure if the hollowed out crank arms might affect your aero, but I'm guessing side winds won't be an issue. AliEX DIY hack is to toss the stock pinch bolts from the non-drive side and replace them with M5x25mm titanium screws. This will allow slightly higher screw torque at 8-9nm. Stock steel screws will start rounding out beyond 7nm and cause creaking under high torque at that torque range. Trace Velo had creaking issues and I believe it was due to the pinch bolts being inadequate.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804815422658.html

GXP/Direct mount 1x aero chainring (make sure to get ordinary if you're not using SRAM AXS):
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804752779564.html

Okay so first off- I was under the impression that a chainring had to be compatible with the AXS flattop chain, but that most other chains were compatible with AXS chainrings.  Basically, AXS chains are special but AXS chainrings are not.  My intent is to run a YBN chain anyways, so I would go regular, but would prefer maximum compatibility if possible.  I reached out to Pass Quest and they want an extra $20 to customize for AXS compatibility.

As to that crankset, I'm not sure I'm ready for something so light with so many quite obvious corners being cut.  24mm aluminum spindle is already a risk, pinchbolts on an aluminum axle, and those spindly arms.... I appreciate the nod, but at 200lb that's probably not the right crank for me.

After all this discussion I'm probably going to end up sticking with my 105.  Rock solid and I can adjust the chainline without worrying about an offset ring.  Those solid Goldix cranks are tempting tough.

BalticSea

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2023, 07:17:15 AM »
IMO, just get Fovno Aurora Pro if you want a light aluminium crank. 170mm crankarms with spindle are lighter than Goldix, but should be far superior when it comes to durability (solid arms, 29mm alloy spindle)

benquick

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2023, 04:11:27 PM »

There is another super cheap goldix direct-mount CNC crank on ali with lower Q and 24 mm steel spindle - I'd rather take that one for those reasons, but that's just personal preferences (fuck, I'd put narrow track cranks on all my bikes if I could). It's usually around 30 bucks for the crank alone (a bit more with EU import tax). I have one, but never mounted it (because reasons on my end), so, never ridden one.

The crank you reference is actually giving mixed information about whether the axle is steel or aluminum. First, the description says "3. Axis Chrome-molybdenum steel, High strength, High temperature resistance, Preservative, Light weight.", but then later "Shaft Material: 7075 aluminum alloy".

Do you have this specific model at home? Could you check which material the axle if built from?

Wet Noodle

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2023, 05:16:37 PM »
The crank you reference is actually giving mixed information about whether the axle is steel or aluminum. First, the description says "3. Axis Chrome-molybdenum steel, High strength, High temperature resistance, Preservative, Light weight.", but then later "Shaft Material: 7075 aluminum alloy".

Do you have this specific model at home? Could you check which material the axle if built from?

Mine (which is the model shown in the link) in 165 mm has a steel axle.

Somewhat related: There used to be offers for that very same model (in 165 mm, at least) where the longer versions would look slightly different. I can't speak to those.
Not really related: As stated in my original post, there also is a similar-looking model with 24 mm aluminium axle, slightly nicer finish and some additional milling (letters on the front or something). I can't find it anymore, but there is a tracevelo video on it (just for visual reference). However, you could confidently guess the axle material of those two different types from the wall thickness alone.