Author Topic: Elitewheels Edge wheelset  (Read 14790 times)

TidyDinosaur

Re: Elitewheels Edge wheelset
« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2024, 10:02:59 AM »
There is a weight difference of 300gr. Comes with a better hub (ratchet) and pillar wing spokes. Also they use the lighter carbon for the rims. Both good wheels tried them both.
Both are loud but I don't mind that.

300gr is A LOT. So probably worth the difference.

Serge_K

« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2024, 02:23:12 PM »
Assuming you're going to actually ride the bike, get the lighter / nicer wheels. 300g is indeed a lot. The bike will for sure feel better with the nicer wheel, not just because of the weight, but the nicer rims will probably be stiffer too, and the spokes will be better, will just be a materially better wheelset. It's not a huge difference and it's worth paying for the upgrade. Ceramic bearings for cycling are useless though.

Minjin

« Reply #107 on: April 22, 2024, 09:45:14 PM »
Thanks guys for your input. This is my primary road bike right now so I plan to ride it quite a bit. I just picked up the bike as something better suited to the hilly rough roads where I now live vs my old aluminum race bike. And since I paid 1600 for the Domane (which I think was a good price), I didn't want to turn around and be wasteful with the wheelset budget. That's why I was curious if people thought it was worth the price difference and it sounds like it is.

coffeebreak

« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2024, 03:35:10 PM »
My SLT wheels are very loud too. Opened the hub and greased everything but unlike some other wheels that didn't dampen the sound at all. It's comparable to Reynolds hubs on Reynolds R3 wheelset. People will hear you definitely and while working indoors it will scare the cats.

Serge_K

« Reply #109 on: April 24, 2024, 04:20:03 AM »
I paid 1600 for the Domane (which I think was a good price)

Photos and specs please! I really like the Emonda, i find the frame timeless. I wish they had a 32-34C version.
The domane is the bastard version between the emonda and the madone right, with the weird thingy at the seatpost?

ScottL

« Reply #110 on: May 01, 2024, 02:03:52 PM »

Looking at the wheels on Aliexpress, does anyone know what the differences are between the types? PRO, ENT, SLT, SLR, EDGE? The Elitewheels website has a different range, so not much info there, and the Ali information is pretty much useless with the pictures contradicting the information in a lot of cases.

I'm looking for a set of very lightweight rim brake wheels, shimano compatible hub, not interested in aero. I'm a flyweight, 53kg. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

« Reply #111 on: May 02, 2024, 01:51:29 AM »
I've tested EDGE, ENT, and DRIVE wheels. The ENT and EDGE differ mainly in weight, spokes, and rim profiles. I am not sure about the SLT and SLR. I will consider writing a comparison article about all these wheelsets. Anyway, the DRIVE wheels have carbon spokes and ceramic bearings.
Regarding ride feel, EDGE + ENT are pretty soft but comfortable. But for example, I didn't feel like riding 1350g wheels when riding EDGE. They are not as responsive as DRIVE ones, which are a bit lighter. The ENTs are much heavier and better for flats and steady efforts.
Having said that, I would recommend saving a bit more for DRIVE wheels. They are my go-to climbing wheels (45mm depth weighs under 1300g), and they are much more responsive than EDGE.
However, it also depends on your experience. For example, I would be happy if I was transitioning from ALU wheels to EDGE. But given that I've tried wheels costing over $1000 with carbon spokes, I'd opt for those instead.
Feel free to visit my website where you learn more details on these wheels.

buttcrack

« Reply #112 on: May 02, 2024, 02:14:40 AM »
can not find EW Drive on AX, probably just on their web shop.

« Reply #113 on: May 02, 2024, 02:54:38 AM »
can not find EW Drive on AX, probably just on their web shop.
DRIVE and Marvel wheels are only available on their website. This is a branding decision. They probably don't want to offer cheap wheels right next to their high-end offerings to avoid hurting their brand.
Founder of the CyclistsHub.com and avid cyclist.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@cyclistshub
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mycyclistshub
Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/9599006

buttcrack

« Reply #114 on: May 02, 2024, 04:02:38 AM »
I understand, but the price for delivery to EU is probably way to high with additional customs and taxes included.

AX gives us the chance to send the wheels past this extra costs.

I have read your review about the Edge wheels and if you could explain a little bit more about the stiffness... I am in no way a pro rider but really love it so I upgraded my wheels to these form the stock ones. I am more of an uphill rider so what the stiffness mean to rides like this.

« Reply #115 on: May 02, 2024, 04:41:56 AM »
I understand, but the price for delivery to EU is probably way to high with additional customs and taxes included.

AX gives us the chance to send the wheels past this extra costs.

I have read your review about the Edge wheels and if you could explain a little bit more about the stiffness... I am in no way a pro rider but really love it so I upgraded my wheels to these form the stock ones. I am more of an uphill rider so what the stiffness mean to rides like this.
The problem with explaining stiffness is how abstract it is. But I will do my best. With very stiff wheels (usually those with carbon spokes), you get the feeling when pedaling that the bike is immediately moving forward and reacting quickly. On the other hand, on rough roads, most of the vibration is transmitted to the bike frame and seat, which can lead to fatigue (as your body gets constant "hits").
Softer wheels (usually steel-spoked ones) offer higher ride comfort (because the vibrations are absorbed by the wheels and are not further transferred to the frame to such a high degree). But they don't have the same feeling that you're going immediately forward. Anyway, if these are your first carbon wheels, you probably won't notice anything like that. Personally, I only started noticing these differences when I side-by-side tested multiple pairs of wheels.
Maybe one more thing: The heavier you are, the more you will probably notice the differences, especially when riding out of the saddle and sprinting. I weigh ~68 kg.

buttcrack

« Reply #116 on: May 02, 2024, 04:49:22 AM »
thanks, indeed it is (will be once delivered) my first carbon wheels. I weigh a few kg more (74) and probably do not ride as aggressive as you do, so I am not really afraid any more. But I still reckon this will be a big upgrade to the cheaper stock wheels.