Chinese Carbon Road Bikes > Road Bike Frames, Wheels & Components

Elitewheels Edge wheelset

<< < (24/25) > >>

Petr (CyclistsHub.com):

--- Quote from: buttcrack on May 02, 2024, 04:02:38 AM ---I understand, but the price for delivery to EU is probably way to high with additional customs and taxes included.

AX gives us the chance to send the wheels past this extra costs.

I have read your review about the Edge wheels and if you could explain a little bit more about the stiffness... I am in no way a pro rider but really love it so I upgraded my wheels to these form the stock ones. I am more of an uphill rider so what the stiffness mean to rides like this.

--- End quote ---
The problem with explaining stiffness is how abstract it is. But I will do my best. With very stiff wheels (usually those with carbon spokes), you get the feeling when pedaling that the bike is immediately moving forward and reacting quickly. On the other hand, on rough roads, most of the vibration is transmitted to the bike frame and seat, which can lead to fatigue (as your body gets constant "hits").
Softer wheels (usually steel-spoked ones) offer higher ride comfort (because the vibrations are absorbed by the wheels and are not further transferred to the frame to such a high degree). But they don't have the same feeling that you're going immediately forward. Anyway, if these are your first carbon wheels, you probably won't notice anything like that. Personally, I only started noticing these differences when I side-by-side tested multiple pairs of wheels.
Maybe one more thing: The heavier you are, the more you will probably notice the differences, especially when riding out of the saddle and sprinting. I weigh ~68 kg.

buttcrack:
thanks, indeed it is (will be once delivered) my first carbon wheels. I weigh a few kg more (74) and probably do not ride as aggressive as you do, so I am not really afraid any more. But I still reckon this will be a big upgrade to the cheaper stock wheels.

MythWuKong:
I just received mine, bought the 45mm with steel bearings. I noticed the rear wheel doesn't spin as smoothly and freely I thought it should, there are some resistance when I spin the axle, and comparing to another wheel I have it's free wheeling noticeably shorter. I've asked EliteWheels about this and below is their reply:

"We have received feedback from engineers. Through the video, we think bearing is no problem. You only need to install the wheel to the frame. The wheel can work normally because of the contact area between the bearing and the axle we use for this wheel. It is relatively large, so there will be some resistance, but it can better improve the waterproof performance of the hub, and it smooth when riding."

Not sure if this is normal and if anyone else's wheel is the same? I've attached the video and hope that's clear to see.

BeR:
It is the same for me (and I have ceramic bearings).

MythWuKong:

--- Quote from: BeR on May 09, 2024, 11:15:32 PM ---It is the same for me (and I have ceramic bearings).

--- End quote ---

OK good to know it's not an issue with my particular wheel, thank you. If it's not as smooth when free wheeling does it mean technically it requires more effort to ride? Or that small amount of resistance is negligible

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version