Author Topic: Experience with Tsunami GR02 Frameset  (Read 519 times)

Steve42

Experience with Tsunami GR02 Frameset
« on: March 04, 2024, 08:38:20 AM »
Hey Guys,

i got a lot of help here while planning my first bike build last spring, so I want to return the favor and tell a bit of my experience of the GR02 frame.

I bought the Tsunami (Seaboard) GR02 frame. I ordered directly over the Tsunami website and it arrived after 3 weeks, was well packaged and looked great. It costed me 526€ with shipping to Germany and taxes pre-paid. I only came to build it recently with a LTWOO 2x11 kit with Zrace BR-005 and 105 Casette and Chain. Build went well, most struggles here came from the inner cable routing handlebars that I chose (Great that my next frame (CFR707) is fully internal routed :D ).

The frame rides good, and comfortable with my 38mm gravel tires. It is not remarkably stiffand while pushing higher watts, it really flexes at the bottom bracket. I have only discovered recently, with the bike mounted on a indoor trainer, that you can really see the flex. This made me a bit worried.
Then I looked at the BB while just doing regular maintenance and found something which seems like a crack to me. So now I was worried a bit and tried to contact the manufacturer and seller, Tsunami Bicycles. Wrote two mails, did three requests over the support formular on the website: Never got an answer... I am really hoping for a reply.

So I will add some pictures and would like to hear your opinion, please.
I do not have much experience with materials and I am unsure, how to classify this crack. Maybe it is fine, maybe I should not ride it anymore. For me, it looks like the crack was there before painting, as the paint seems to be in good condition.
The Bike has around 500km clocked now, half of them on an indoor trainer, so it is almost new.

Also tell us if you have some experience with the GR02 Frame, good or bad.

Thanks, Steve

TidyDinosaur

Re: Experience with Tsunami GR02 Frameset
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 08:49:31 AM »
Are you sure it's a crack? Looks like drips in the paint. Can you see movement there when flexing the frame?

I'm looking forward to seeing the reply from the seller, since this frame is quite often recommended here.

jonathanf2

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 09:43:52 AM »
I'm no weld expert, but it just looks like they over welded the BB joints and did a somewhat sloppy job. Ride it a bit and see if it gets worst, if not it should be fine.

I'd also post on the thread about the GR02 in the Metal Frame sub-forum. Ask other owners of the frame to inspect their BB just to see how their welds look in comparison to your frame.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 09:46:45 AM by jonathanf2 »

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2024, 12:21:38 AM »
That’s almost definitely not a crack.

Steve42

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2024, 06:36:27 AM »
It is for sure no residue from welding or painting, as it is not standing out, it is definitely going into the material.
There is no visible movement in the "crack" under load, also the paint is not cracked (or damaged) which seems to be a sign that it is not a crack.

But as you say, I will further ride the bike and have an eye on it. Thanks for comforting me  :)