Author Topic: Non-Square Taper Torque Sensors?  (Read 2823 times)

1Sigma

Non-Square Taper Torque Sensors?
« on: November 11, 2021, 08:26:39 AM »
First post in the eBike Parts Sub-Forum!

Hi All,
I am looking to build a discreet rear-hub carbon road ebike build.

Question is about torque sensors.  Most Road eBikes use cadence sensors, as that allows use of common road cranksets.
The most effective torque sensor (I could find), that doesn't requirea custom frame, have the sensor built into the bottom bracket, which is almost always square taper. 

Has anyone come across a torque sensor that isn't square taper?  Or better yet, has anyone come across a torque sensor that allows for integrated axle cranksets (a la HT2)?

Thanks!

Better than average - Extra Average

1Sigma

Re: Non-Square Taper Torque Sensors?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 12:49:27 PM »
I've decided to research using ANT+ protocol on a power meter to feed torque readings to an eBike controller and what would be involved.
I am not a coder, nor know anything about circuitry, so I'd need to reach out to others.  I do not know anything other than it ought to be possible.

Anyone know anybody who is a proficient ANT+ developer?

carbonazza

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 01:39:21 AM »
I would look at something like https://www.espruino.com/ because it is a very easy way to learn and put some electronic intelligence.
I'm a coder, and your apparently simple need smells like the start of a very long, but interesting, journey  ???
Note, it is BLE not ANT+
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 01:46:24 AM by carbonazza »

1Sigma

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 07:03:10 AM »
I would look at something like https://www.espruino.com/ because it is a very easy way to learn and put some electronic intelligence.
I'm a coder, and your apparently simple need smells like the start of a very long, but interesting, journey  ???
Note, it is BLE not ANT+

Thanks Carbonazza.   You are absolutely correct - many a long, deep rabbit hole starts with "You just need to...", and "its simply..."
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 07:05:30 AM by 1Sigma »