Author Topic: Spcycle 053V  (Read 899 times)

MtbNewbie

Spcycle 053V
« on: September 21, 2023, 03:57:56 PM »
Built this with a 1x Sensah group set that was lying around for a nearly two years, Light carbon wheels.
Idea is to use for Road mostly and light gravel once in a while as the frame can clear 32c.

Current weight is 17lbs with bottle cages and pedals.

What do you all think?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 04:06:07 PM by MtbNewbie »

cucumber19

Re: Spcycle 053V
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2023, 06:34:32 PM »
Looks good! More importantly, what do you think? What’s your impression of the frame set as far as the build went? Does it ride well?  I have an spcycle fork on my steel gravel bike (surprisingly hard to find a carbon 1-1/8 straight steerer gravel fork!) and for $100 it’s fantastic. Have thought about this frame for a cheap build. Would love to hear your impressions.

MtbNewbie

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2023, 09:16:42 PM »
Build was not bad at all. It went smoothly. The routing for integrated handlebar is a bit fiddly but doable.

Too early to provide riding impressions, I am new to carbon road bikes and have very little experience to compare against. The bike felt stiff and responsive in the first few rides, still working on the fit before going on a long ride. obviously, the 1x provides fewer gear options and therefore gets a little getting used vs. 2x or 3x. I may eventually go to a 2x setup as electronic shifting is becoming more affordable. Braking is adequate, I have some cane creek ee brakes that I may install at some point.
This is a much more aggressive riding position compared to the Sequoia touring triple I have been riding for a long time. Hubs are a bit loud but overall wheels seem well built. I do not race or do any big events so this is more than enough bike for my needs once the fit is dialed.

Maden

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2023, 10:33:55 PM »
Very cool! First time I've seen a Chinese carbon frame with rim brakes and clearance for 32c tires. What size did you get for your height? Any issues with seatpost slipping or preloading the headset?

Also curious to what kind of computer mount fits that single bolt in the front.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 10:36:24 PM by Maden »

MtbNewbie

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2023, 10:56:53 PM »
This mount fits in front.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPJJbxy

I got a size M for 175cm height, no issues with headset or seat slipping.

jonathanf2

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2023, 10:53:41 AM »
Unique build you got there! I haven't seen many wide tire rim brake setups. I also tried running 1x also on an SPCycle road frame (the SP-027D), but I eventually went 2x. It's just more versatile in that configuration. Though my gravel bike is 1x and I prefer it, since it's more of a dedicated trail climber.

MtbNewbie

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2023, 12:43:53 PM »
Yes agree, this build came about due several parts that were available including wheels that were bought to fit a different frame etc. You are right, I could not find any rim brake frame that could clear 32c. I am not sure if Shimano 105s that are currently installed will clear 32s...same for Cane creeks..will have to find out.

paldo

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2023, 11:45:51 AM »
Just ordered this frame. Does it come with a headset spacer? Or which did you get from AliExpress?