Author Topic: Eddie's Airwolf YFR066 Build Thread  (Read 8632 times)

zilcho

Re: Eddie's Airwolf YFR066 Build Thread
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2024, 06:05:33 PM »
I'll cover my full story in the main YFR066 thread once it is finished, so as to not hijack Eddie's build, but the short story is that I regret working with Airwolf

eekden

« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2024, 10:34:42 PM »
More integrated handlebar issues... after cutting down the fork and installing the compression plug, I went to install the cap that is fitted to the integrated handlebar and it doesn't sit flush. Basically nothing related to the integrated handlebar is manufactured well enough to have a clean fit.

Vladik005

« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2024, 02:02:55 AM »
Hello, guys! It's a pity I didn't see your messages last month. I've already ordered the frame, and it's almost here.
I hope I won't be too disappointed, but I'm already choosing a new frame. I'm now afraid to ride on such a frame on gravel. But in any case, I will try to assemble the bike and write here about its quality.

eekden

« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2024, 06:30:17 PM »
Finally got my first short ride in with the bike fully assembled (Seattle and the rainy weather bleh). Bike is very agile, frame is not totally noodley for me, but could be stiffer. If I were to do it again, still would consider throwing a couple hundred more on a different frame.

Anyways thought I'd drop a photo to share the complete build. Happy with the Di2 105 drivetrain too!

Total weight clocked in at 8.1kg including pedals, tires, tape, water bottle cages... everything you see here minus the water bottle itself. Not bad!

coffeebreak

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2024, 01:00:55 AM »
Looking good there! Tan walled tires with brown tape are going well together. If you ever come ride on Cedar river trail, I'll keep an eye out. Not many open mold bikes in the area.

eddietheengineer

« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2024, 07:02:24 AM »
Your build looks great! It's good to hear another opinion on the ride, I bet the integrated handlebar is stiffer than what I have too so that may be part of it!

Alan Morgan

« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2024, 11:02:19 AM »
Sorry to sneak into this thread as a +1. I've ordered a YFR066 frameset and integrated bars and have just been told it's been collected by DPD in China. The frameset was ordered on 18th December BTW and communication with Airwolf has been fine. It's going to be a slightly unusual build as I'm speccing the bike for very hilly sportive events (specifically the Fred Whitton Challenge here in the UK). Gearing will be 50/34 11-40, giving a 23" lowest gear. So far I've built the wheels, using Ryet hubs and 38mm rims off Aliexpress (Carbon Beam Store) with Sapim Race spokes - they come in at 1402g for the pair.

If there is interest in yet another YFR066 build, I'll keep the forum posted on how things go.

jeffrey

« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2024, 01:35:46 PM »
Sorry to sneak into this thread as a +1. I've ordered a YFR066 frameset and integrated bars and have just been told it's been collected by DPD in China. The frameset was ordered on 18th December BTW and communication with Airwolf has been fine. It's going to be a slightly unusual build as I'm speccing the bike for very hilly sportive events (specifically the Fred Whitton Challenge here in the UK). Gearing will be 50/34 11-40, giving a 23" lowest gear. So far I've built the wheels, using Ryet hubs and 38mm rims off Aliexpress (Carbon Beam Store) with Sapim Race spokes - they come in at 1402g for the pair.

If there is interest in yet another YFR066 build, I'll keep the forum posted on how things go.

I would definitely enjoy another take on this frame

Alan Morgan

« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2024, 05:37:57 AM »
Well, my frameset turned up today. First signs weren't encouraging...

However, it had been packaged well inside the box and there doesn't appear to be any damage

I'm happy with the colour (Red Crystal)

The caliper mounts have been painted on the mounting faces so I'll need to sort that but the BB shell is within tolerance and round.

These are the weights...

Frame - Size 54, painted with derailleur mounts and bottle cage bolts 1120g
Fork, uncut 440g
Seatpost assembly 179g
Integrated bars - 400 wide 120mm stem 414g

I'm waiting for a few more bits but I'll post updates in due course.

eddietheengineer

« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2024, 03:26:28 PM »
Thanks for sharing and please keep us updated!

MasterB

« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2024, 08:57:05 AM »
I'm waiting for a few more bits but I'll post updates in due course.

I registered on this forum because I am about to pull the trigger on a red crystal YFR066 frame, just like yours... And I was wondering if the paint job looks good.
Please do keep us updated!

eekden

« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2024, 12:27:22 PM »
I'm about 10 rides in to owning the frame, figured it makes sense to have an update. I did have one issue with the front derailleur mount bolts getting stripped after tightening them up. Was attempting to get to 5nm and they stripped at around 3nm, which seems really low. When it gets loose next, I'll extract them and replace them with better quality bolts. Not a big deal.

That being said, riding this bike has been excellent. I am happy with the stiffness and agility of the frame and the integrated handlebars.

As Eddie did, here is my build including all the tools I bought to assemble it: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kxmcrzbgUrXaXckA3jgbMvaOweVeR3Iw0n9Df3uwnoA/edit?usp=sharing

jeffrey

« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2024, 02:05:54 PM »
I'm about 10 rides in to owning the frame, figured it makes sense to have an update. I did have one issue with the front derailleur mount bolts getting stripped after tightening them up. Was attempting to get to 5nm and they stripped at around 3nm, which seems really low. When it gets loose next, I'll extract them and replace them with better quality bolts. Not a big deal.

That being said, riding this bike has been excellent. I am happy with the stiffness and agility of the frame and the integrated handlebars.

As Eddie did, here is my build including all the tools I bought to assemble it: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kxmcrzbgUrXaXckA3jgbMvaOweVeR3Iw0n9Df3uwnoA/edit?usp=sharing

Happy to read that!
So it sounds like a good bike, if you accept to face some building difficulties. Would you still advise spending more? (though I'm afraid the Carbonda would end up more than 200€ higher)

eekden

« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2024, 02:50:54 PM »
Happy to read that!
So it sounds like a good bike, if you accept to face some building difficulties. Would you still advise spending more? (though I'm afraid the Carbonda would end up more than 200€ higher)

That's a good question. My frame was $495 w/taxes including painting and the integrated handlebars because of the Aliexpress 11.11 sale which was definitely worth it, even if it did take 7 weeks to show up, but current price would be more like $610 so is that worth it? I don't know.

How much is the CFR 1056 frame (most similar geo)?

Also reading the 1056 build thread, people had headset issues on the carbonda frames too: https://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,2982.msg24577.html#msg24577

jeffrey

« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2024, 03:58:03 PM »
That's a good question. My frame was $495 w/taxes including painting and the integrated handlebars because of the Aliexpress 11.11 sale which was definitely worth it, even if it did take 7 weeks to show up, but current price would be more like $610 so is that worth it? I don't know.

How much is the CFR 1056 frame (most similar geo)?

Also reading the 1056 build thread, people had headset issues on the carbonda frames too: https://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,2982.msg24577.html#msg24577

Yeah, that's not inviting.

I don't have an exact price as I made an enquiry through their website a couple weeks ago but got no answer.
Reading here and there, it should be in the 8-900€ range including shipment (and possibly handlebar) for the painted integrated cable version.
Once you factor in also having to deal with them outside Aliexpress - so even more wild than it usually is, the Carbonda route is loosing its appeal too.