Author Topic: VeloBuild VB-R-268 frame  (Read 28810 times)

joegal

Re: VeloBuild VB-R-268 frame
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2024, 04:02:40 PM »
So basically the frame was manufactured for that company for a while, contract ended and now the mould is open for companies like Velobuild?

Thats how I imagine it to be... Same for the 168, as I just discovered.

hazzer19

« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2024, 04:34:24 PM »
What size of hole do they recommend?

I did't ask. Not quite sure I can tell you what I used either, big enough/not too big?  ;D

dank_ganks

« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2024, 04:39:47 PM »

Edit: @ Dank_ganks, please see pics  :)

Thanks a ton for the pics - the frame looks awesome, great design!!

Guess I'll go with the "wrap it in foam and jam it in" strategy.

hazzer19

« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2024, 05:17:52 PM »
So basically the frame was manufactured for that company for a while, contract ended and now the mould is open for companies like Velobuild?

I don't know that this is an open mould, so although VB may have manufactured it for them, it likely can't be made by others using the same mould.

BTW, for those who have their frame: what shape/dimensions is the interior of the seatpost? Wondering how I'm going to mount my Di2 battery.

I just mounted my battery to the inside of the seat post using one of the standard rubber cases from Shimano. There was some wiggle room, but it ended up securing it with some foam that was covering the Di2 dongle I have in there as well.

Benbenben

« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2024, 07:16:26 AM »
I also received my frame yesterday, but will probably not build it before April/May as I am waiting for the er9 to be a reliable option My frame is chameleon Silver.

For the s1neo. I went through their FB posts (reached 2019 posts) and couldn't find anything about the 699D that looks identical to vbr268.

EDIT: VBR268 clearly is the 2022 699D. YouTube Video from s1neo channel clearly displays it
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 09:07:10 AM by Benbenben »

Takiyaki

« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2024, 09:49:59 AM »
Guys, this is what open mold means lol. Everyone and their mom has some kind of SL7 variant.

« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2024, 09:58:11 AM »
Good afternoon:

I am new to the forum and on January 8th I ordered the frame in chameleon silver color size S. Yesterday it arrived correctly packaged.
What I didn't get in the package is the cycle computer holder and the extra rear hanger, but they have already told me by email that they will send it to me tomorrow.
I must say that the paint is spectacular, it only has a small bubble on the back that will not be difficult to fix by lightly polishing.
I also have to go over the steering bearing seats and bottom bracket seats with very fine sandpaper.

Waiting to start assembly, happy with the order.

hazzer19

« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2024, 05:12:35 PM »

Build is pretty much done. Not too many new parts as everything has been moved over from my VB-R-177 build.

Haven't had a chance to take it out for a long spin but general impressions so far based on a short coffee ride:

- Stiffer than the 168 and as stiff as the 177 but more aero (not sure I noticed the more aero part haha)
- Zero offset seat tube is really going to help my personal fit
- Saddle clamping system worked really well and easy to adjust. Extra fittings for carbon rail saddles was great to have included.
- Mavic Speed release style axles are going to take a little getting used to. May need a dedicated axle for the trainer to make things easier to take on and off.
- Overall no issues with the build, ended up drilling a hole in the bottom of the BB area to drain water. Also had to drill out the metal FD cable stop to fit Di2 wire
- New HB-010 integrated bars that came with the frame feel much stiffer than the original ones I had with the wedge tightening system instead of standard two bolt

Just needs some bar tape and maybe some decals and should be ready.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 06:21:43 PM by hazzer19 »

chughes

« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2024, 05:24:45 PM »
@hazzer19 how does it ride? ie How responsive to your pedaling (stiffness)? What's the weight of your build. Have to say kudos to VB, they are now good at painting frames.

oringso

« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2024, 03:23:58 AM »
Build is pretty much done. Not too many new parts as everything has been moved over from my VB-R-177 build.

Haven't had a chance to take it out for a long spin but general impressions so far based on a short coffee ride:

- Stiffer than the 168 and as stiff as the 177 but more aero (not sure I noticed the more aero part haha)
- Zero offset seat tube is really going to help my personal fit
- Saddle clamping system worked really well and easy to adjust. Extra fittings for carbon rail saddles was great to have included.
- Mavic Speed release style axles are going to take a little getting used to. May need a dedicated axle for the trainer to make things easier to take on and off.
- Overall no issues with the build, ended up drilling a hole in the bottom of the BB area to drain water. Also had to drill out the metal FD cable stop to fit Di2 wire
- New HB-010 integrated bars that came with the frame feel much stiffer than the original ones I had with the wedge tightening system instead of standard two bolt

Just needs some bar tape and maybe some decals and should be ready.

Nice build, could you please show a picture of the front derailleur di2 wiring especially the parts you drilled.

Easyfunk

« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2024, 04:38:51 AM »
I am almost finished with the assembly. Overall, I am very pleased with the frame. The workmanship is good as far as I can tell. I haven't ridden the bike yet, but overall it looks like the frame is stiff enough. At least it doesn't feel too wobbly in the shop. I will report back when I have ridden the bike.

Now I want to give a few more details. Tire clearance is no problem at all. The 30 Continental tires are 32mm wide on the rim, which fits perfectly.

The frame weighs almost exactly 1160 grams in size 58. The uncut fork weighs 424 grams. The cockpit weighs exactly 404 grams at 110x420 mm. The seatpost weighs 230 grams. Other accessories such as the headset topcap, headset, seatpost clamp and thru-axles add another 200 grams.

I built the frame with Ultegra Di2. The complete bike weighs 8.3 kg without the computer. That's not exceptionally light, but it's not terribly overweight either. The wheelset (Lightbycicle WR65 with Goldix 240SL) weighs 1550 grams.

The rear thru axle mount did not work for me. The thread was broken. The thru axle was also not mounted correctly. This means that after the paint job at the latest, it must have been noticed that the thru axle did not fit into the thread. Obviously nobody was interested in that. The frame was shipped anyway. This does not speak well for the quality control at Velobuild. I was promised a new thread for the thru axle. Unfortunately I have not received it yet.

The finish is purple chameleon matte. The quality of the paint is very poor. This is especially true for the durability. There is obviously no top coat. You only have to look at the paint once and there's already a flaw. I'm afraid it's not going to be very durable.

Then there's a minor problem with the top cap. It closes very flush when the handlebars are not tightened. But once you apply the correct torque, the top cap protrudes a bit to the side. This is mainly an aesthetic problem and doesn't look very good.

Now I have to make a few adjustments (like the saddle angle) before I can ride it outside. Also, the weather here in Germany is pretty bad at the moment. I also need new chainrings as the ones I have only work for 11-speed and the shifting performance is pretty bad.

Here are some pictures as a first impression. As soon as I'm outside and can take better pictures, I'll post them here.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 04:41:30 AM by Easyfunk »

Stephiso

« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2024, 08:22:41 AM »
I think if you go with Matte paint there is never a top coat. Even for Mercedes Benz cars if you go with matte paint there isn't a top coat. Sucks about the other issues though and doesn't look super good for velobuild quality :/

Thegoods

« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2024, 11:07:01 AM »
I ordered the 268 and received something else yesterday. It looks like I got the fork and seat post for the 268 but the frame is something completely different. Anyone have any experience with this? It’s also painted which I didn’t order.

s3si1u

« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2024, 12:29:36 PM »
I ordered the 268 and received something else yesterday. It looks like I got the fork and seat post for the 268 but the frame is something completely different. Anyone have any experience with this? It’s also painted which I didn’t order.

Looks like a gravel frame. They must have mixed your order up with someone else, and they got your frame. Have you reached out to velobuild?
Instagram: @aerosloth

Thegoods

« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2024, 12:46:15 PM »
Yeah I’m pretty sure it’s their 2021 gravel frame. Its a size xs too…. I sent them an email. I don’t expect to hear anything back soon since it’s lunar new year right now.