Author Topic: Spacers on top of the Velobuild stem?  (Read 756 times)

dustedrob

Spacers on top of the Velobuild stem?
« on: December 02, 2023, 12:39:14 PM »
I have a feeling this is not going to be possible but for anyone that has ordered a Velobuild frame with separate stem: Is there a way to put spacers on top of it? I don't want to commit to cutting the fork entirely but I guess this is a design flaw or they seriously expect you to get your stack height 100% correct at first or with all the spacers under the stem. Picture for reference:

joegal

Re: Spacers on top of the Velobuild stem?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2023, 03:42:12 PM »
I have a feeling this is not going to be possible but for anyone that has ordered a Velobuild frame with separate stem: Is there a way to put spacers on top of it? I don't want to commit to cutting the fork entirely but I guess this is a design flaw or they seriously expect you to get your stack height 100% correct at first or with all the spacers under the stem. Picture for reference:

I 3d printed an adapter for this, based on a file shared on the 177 thread.

You could possibly sand down a tall enough spacer to match the curvature of the stem.

dustedrob

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2023, 03:21:03 PM »
Lifesaver! Thank you!

Froglover825

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2023, 06:13:14 PM »
That looks like a really stupid design lmao, where is it inspired from? so I can be sure to never buy that brand.

joegal

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2023, 02:09:02 AM »
That looks like a really stupid design lmao, where is it inspired from? so I can be sure to never buy that brand.

As the title says: Velobuild.

But tbh, i like their stem. Not too heavy for a stem with integrated hoses.

bichler.bua

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2023, 03:12:09 AM »
I would say the stem is more tolerant to adjusting height compared to traditional stem designs.
The problem with this stem design is the specific top cap and its weak design, which does not allow sufficient headset compression and leaves many Velobuild customers with headset play.

Froglover825

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2023, 09:37:03 PM »
As the title says: Velobuild.

But tbh, i like their stem. Not too heavy for a stem with integrated hoses.
yes i realise this one is from velobuild but i mean where did they get the original design from? velobuild isn't making original moulds.

joegal

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2023, 12:47:37 AM »
yes i realise this one is from velobuild but i mean where did they get the original design from? velobuild isn't making original moulds.

Nobody found out about that yet, i think. Would bei interested as well in who makes their frames and parts.

The 099 seemed to be made by longteng, but i nevere founde the 168, 177, 268 etc from other vendors/manufacturers.
Same goes fore the stem, i specifically searched for it as i wanted to get a different size for cheap, but i could not find the stems anywhere at all.

dustedrob

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2023, 01:12:05 PM »
To be honest, i haven't experienced any headset play and I'm cognizant that this is something that happened to many people here. Yes, it's an impractical design but i guess if you have the correct fit since the beginning it shouldn't be too much of an issue.