Author Topic: Magene QED 12spd groupset showcased in Shanghai  (Read 1281 times)

kbernstein

Re: Magene QED 12spd groupset showcased in Shanghai
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2024, 06:14:21 AM »
Why
Subcompact options that are hard to get with BCD, plus the rings are very pretty

dsveddy

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2024, 10:02:33 AM »
I just really want directmount chainrings

I bought Magene's QED crankset with direct-mount chainrings before it got pulled from the markets. Horrible experience, Magene bungled the design and they would bend and become permanently deformed from normal pedaling loads. Magene's warranty department was useless and asked me to delete my chinertown thread on the issue to cover up their screw-up. The most I got from this was a new chainring, which bent again. My experience might be part of the reason why that product got pulled from the shelves in the first place.

Even worse, they have a proprietary chainring interface and no aftermarket spider or alternative chainrings, which means I am completely fucked and have a $500 brick of a crankset. In summary, be thankful they learned from their mistakes and aren't making DM chainrings anymore.

I know the spider based PMs are great, PES is great, and their accessories are great, but damn do I feel bitter about Magene after my QED experience.

Nadeshiko

« Reply #17 on: Today at 05:52:21 AM »
I used to have a similar power imbalance. You may need shims or insoles. However, just lowering the saddle 1.5cm for me made the balance equal.

I have worked with both a professional coach and a fitter. Position is much more comfortable for me now but I still can't get my imbalance to improve.

Serge_K

« Reply #18 on: Today at 08:20:40 AM »
I bought Magene's QED crankset with direct-mount chainrings before it got pulled from the markets. Horrible experience, Magene bungled the design and they would bend and become permanently deformed from normal pedaling loads. Magene's warranty department was useless and asked me to delete my chinertown thread on the issue to cover up their screw-up. The most I got from this was a new chainring, which bent again. My experience might be part of the reason why that product got pulled from the shelves in the first place.

Even worse, they have a proprietary chainring interface and no aftermarket spider or alternative chainrings, which means I am completely fucked and have a $500 brick of a crankset. In summary, be thankful they learned from their mistakes and aren't making DM chainrings anymore.

I know the spider based PMs are great, PES is great, and their accessories are great, but damn do I feel bitter about Magene after my QED experience.

oh wow. Asking you to delete threads on here is really something. i guess public forums really are important consumer protection / decision tools.

zerstorer

« Reply #19 on: Today at 08:27:40 AM »
My QED powermeter crank and chainrings are still ok after 2years.

patliean1

« Reply #20 on: Today at 09:08:42 AM »
What's the difference between the QED chainrings, and the optional chainrings supplied with the PES? I'm trying to understand by Magene's QED video.

Are the QED rings similar to SRAM Red's one-piece design?

toxin

« Reply #21 on: Today at 09:59:41 AM »
Here

dsveddy

« Reply #22 on: Today at 03:17:44 PM »
What's the difference between the QED chainrings, and the optional chainrings supplied with the PES? I'm trying to understand by Magene's QED video.

Are the QED rings similar to SRAM Red's one-piece design?

As a follow-up:

The QED crankset was launched in 3 versions. 1) A standalone crankset with the integrated chainrings, no PM, 2) crankset with the beloved spider-based PM and bolt on chainrings--the exact same PM and rings as on the PES, and 3) with integrated chainrings and Stages/4iii-style P325-model PM in the crankarms, dubbed the "QED P325".

You can watch my unboxing on the P325 model video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt1B119gEiA&t=157s&pp=ygUKbWFnZW5lIHFlZA%3D%3D