Author Topic: WheelTop EDS TX Full Wireless Groupset (Chinese SRAM)  (Read 25000 times)

cramy

Re: WheelTop EDS TX Full Wireless Groupset (Chinese SRAM)
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2024, 02:41:38 AM »
Their website is down right now so I'd guess they're probably working on updating it for the launch.

It is live again, with the eds tx

https://wheeltop.com/

Tijoe

« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2024, 11:10:53 PM »
It is live again, with the eds tx

https://wheeltop.com/
On Fire Fox, It looks like it is live, but when I click on the selection box, it locks up the selection feature, and the top pull down menu to select either MTB or road. 
If I touch the "learn More" box details for the kit show up, but once on this page other features are locked up. 
I have to close the page and start over again.

When I open using Chrome, everything works OK. (I try not to use Chrome these days after having a bunch of problems last year.)

cramy

« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2024, 11:39:30 PM »
On Fire Fox, It looks like it is live, but when I click on the selection box, it locks up the selection feature, and the top pull down menu to select either MTB or road. 
If I touch the "learn More" box details for the kit show up, but once on this page other features are locked up. 
I have to close the page and start over again.

When I open using Chrome, everything works OK. (I try not to use Chrome these days after having a bunch of problems last year.)

for me it works well on firefox 121.0.1

cramy

« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2024, 11:43:03 PM »

The build is about to begin.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/RzfPshUKSZooryHM6

Nice frame, it is the alpe d'huez, right?

Let us know about the shifting performance

ritxis

« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2024, 12:58:20 AM »
They have front derraileur trim, if it's auto trim they'll be getting a call from shimano lawyers this time

By?? The Sram eTap has wired blips, wouldn't Shimnao have patented satellite controls? The new Red AXS that is coming out soon also has an auxiliary button on the levers, isn't that also patented by Shimano....the Sram and Campagnolo derailleurs have auto trim, right?

toxin

« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2024, 05:34:51 AM »
Ltwoo had auto trim and had to remove it after a warning from shimano

cramy

« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2024, 07:23:37 AM »
Ltwoo had auto trim and had to remove it after a warning from shimano

true it was part of an update they did later on, after shimano complain. with all the patents sram and shimano have placed it is very difficult for the new groupset manufacturer to navigate.

Sakizashi

« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2024, 09:42:50 AM »
By?? The Sram eTap has wired blips, wouldn't Shimnao have patented satellite controls? The new Red AXS that is coming out soon also has an auxiliary button on the levers, isn't that also patented by Shimano....the Sram and Campagnolo derailleurs have auto trim, right?

The methods for managing "trim" different. Campagnolo uses a sensor to guide the trim behavior and while i think Sram played with autotrim or something that behaved like it on some beta releases, i think the firmware launched with the D2 Force groups does individual front shift profiles depending on the rear gear you are in and rely on the YAW geometry (which they also patented) to avoid needing trim the way Shimano does it.

I am sure patents exist on satellite shifters, but guessing they either weren't enforceable or were covered under expired patents from Mavic Zap or Mektronic.

The legal stuff around groups has really hobbled Ltwoo and Wheeltop. A far cry from a decade ago when Cherry was making GM and VW cars where you could swap body panels with the real thing.

mirphak

« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2024, 01:10:10 PM »
who else finds that a fixed battery is a very bad idea? if it dies for whatever reason during a trip or something, game over Mario  :-*.

The solution from Shimano DI2 is a little better in the sense that it can be easily replaced, but still you cannot that easily bring a spare.
The solution from SRAM I find the best (I wish it was patent free so that Shimano and Wheeltop could just use it). Cheap and lightweight batteries with the same format for all parts which, in case of battery malfunction -or running out of juice-, you can just replace.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2024, 01:32:01 PM »
who else finds that a fixed battery is a very bad idea? if it dies for whatever reason during a trip or something, game over Mario  :-*.

The solution from Shimano DI2 is a little better in the sense that it can be easily replaced, but still you cannot that easily bring a spare.
The solution from SRAM I find the best (I wish it was patent free so that Shimano and Wheeltop could just use it). Cheap and lightweight batteries with the same format for all parts which, in case of battery malfunction -or running out of juice-, you can just replace.

Yeah, those small non-replaceable batteries are also a no-go for me.

jonathanf2

« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2024, 01:37:01 PM »
I actually like LTwoo's battery replaceable solution and user selection for 10/11/12 speed cassettes. If it wasn't for the issues with dead derailleurs, I probably would have bought the groupset already. I'll see what 2024 has to offer.

cramy

« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2024, 12:25:17 AM »
they are quite active on their instagram account.

Sebastian

« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2024, 12:38:33 AM »
I actually like LTwoo's battery replaceable solution and user selection for 10/11/12 speed cassettes. If it wasn't for the issues with dead derailleurs, I probably would have bought the groupset already. I'll see what 2024 has to offer.

I like that approach better, too. With LTWOO you could literally pop into a shop and buy a set of regular batteries and get going again. To me that’s a welcome deviation from the usual proprietary stuff that bike brands come up with. Regardless I’m super interested to see how the new Wheeltop groupset performs.

Tijoe

« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2024, 06:27:48 PM »

All 4 of my EDS OX derailleurs have the removable batteries.   To date, the removable batteries last a long time, over 600 miles of riding for me with lots of shifting.

OTOH: Weird things have been happening.  Yesterday, I went out on a snow ride on a bike I haven't ridden it about a month.  The bike was shifting OK, but I though that I would swap to a charged battery to be sure that the battery on the bike might be low on charge.  I swapped to a supposedly fully charged battery.  It wouldn't shift. No lights.  Swapped to another battery.  This battery didn't shift the derailleur either.  Put the original one back one and rode, leaving the other 2 on their chargers.   Then swapped one of the freshly charged battery onto the derailleur and it worked.  Now I am wondering why 2 fully charged batteries were drained of power after sitting around on a shelf for a month after last being charged. 

Regarding the fixed battery.  I am sure you can put a routine in place where you use your Wheeltop app on your phone to check the % charge / # of shifts left.   If you see the battery is below your charge comfort level, you can top it off. 

I wonder too, if the magnetic charging cable charges the battery while the derailleur is in operation.  One could secure the charge cable to the frame and use a battery bank to charge the battery while riding.  (Anyone test this?)