Author Topic: Elitewheels Drive 50D --> Rim Failure  (Read 2975 times)

CJ

Re: Elitewheels Drive 50D --> Rim Failure
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2024, 12:37:46 PM »
That wouldn't be UPS's handy work, would it?

Indeed it was  ;D

CJ

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2024, 01:01:10 PM »
Update from Anthony @ Elitewheels:
Sorry for the problem and the inconvenience caused to you.

We did include the spare nipples and rim tape in the package. They must fall out of the package which was severely damaged in transit.

Please do not worry, we will send new parts via FedEx to you soon. Please wait for our next email about the tracking number.

Please feel free to let us know if you have any questions. Have a nice day.

00Garza

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2024, 03:23:59 PM »
Nice to see a business taking care of their customer.

CJ

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2024, 08:27:33 PM »
UPDATE (Day 22) - The nipples and rim tape arrived today. Dropping off at my wheel builder tomorrow.  Will also have him inspect the front wheel.

electrolux

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2024, 04:03:37 PM »
This is good to hear compared to what Lexon do

chughes

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2024, 05:21:29 PM »
UPDATE (Day 22) - The nipples and rim tape arrived today. Dropping off at my wheel builder tomorrow.  Will also have him inspect the front wheel.
CJ I take it things went well and your wheel builder was able to to get the job done? Have they provided any feedback on how different it is from regular spokes? Had a recent situation where I ended up in a pot hole and my rear wheel broke hence will have to be rebuilt

Serge_K

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2024, 09:03:09 AM »
Only seeing this now. Curious as well to know how things went.
The pictures very much look like delamination. Very odd.
For comparison, a friend (he weighs 2.5 ants) crashed during a race last summer and broke 2 Farsports wheels, photos attached. He says he was drafting and slammed right into a curb at 40kmh, something like that. Let's say he definitely felt the crash :)

chughes

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2024, 06:44:46 PM »
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ac-FVFzAk4xqTcZhqnGxhNm7nb3i73_V?usp=drive_link   showing images of rim after impact. Pothole was obscured by water due to rain. Pic of  pothole taken a few days later
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 06:48:35 PM by chughes »

Serge_K

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2024, 10:39:04 AM »
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ac-FVFzAk4xqTcZhqnGxhNm7nb3i73_V?usp=drive_link   showing images of rim after impact. Pothole was obscured by water due to rain. Pic of  pothole taken a few days later

Wow the rim disintegrated! The pothole looks huge given the size of the wheel on the picture. When you take such a picture, put a known object for size, because without the wheel, the pothole could look tiny.

FSN

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2024, 10:57:26 PM »
Hi everyone. New here.
I'm just looking for some light on a small issue and this might be the thread. I bought a pair of Elite Wheels through their store in alixpress. The front wheel came with a very small dent on the rim. This is something to ask for replacement? What you guys think?
I talked to Elite through alixpress and they said to me there is no problem riding it, but i don't know.

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2024, 09:14:41 PM »
Those are the Panaracer Agilest Duro TLR right? Hopefully not contributable by the tire in any way.
I have the Agilest Clincher and its sidewall blew a huge hole 3km into its maiden ride. I went on Amazon to read further reviews of the Agilest in general and found that I was not alone with blown sidewall off a perfectly new Agilest.

BTW I am using a DRIVE 45D.

Serge_K

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2024, 02:36:04 AM »
Hi everyone. New here.
I'm just looking for some light on a small issue and this might be the thread. I bought a pair of Elite Wheels through their store in alixpress. The front wheel came with a very small dent on the rim. This is something to ask for replacement? What you guys think?
I talked to Elite through alixpress and they said to me there is no problem riding it, but i don't know.

Very strange, it's small, but also, it's not small. it's probably fine. If you press on it with your finger, does it feel different than on the rest of the rim? If so, then i'd worry.
I've handled quite a few carbon wheelsets, never had that issue. rim moulds are a super basic shape on the outside, there's no good reason why you'd have such a depression there that i can think of.
Maybe email carbon experts? there are several who're featured a lot on YT, i suspect they get such emails all the time.

FSN

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2024, 06:00:25 AM »
Very strange, it's small, but also, it's not small. it's probably fine. If you press on it with your finger, does it feel different than on the rest of the rim? If so, then i'd worry.
I've handled quite a few carbon wheelsets, never had that issue. rim moulds are a super basic shape on the outside, there's no good reason why you'd have such a depression there that i can think of.
Maybe email carbon experts? there are several who're featured a lot on YT, i suspect they get such emails all the time.

Thanks!
Yes it is a little different when i press with my fingers. I also made the coin test and it is different. I'll try again with Elitewheels if they replace it.

Serge_K

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2024, 07:35:10 AM »
Thanks!
Yes it is a little different when i press with my fingers. I also made the coin test and it is different. I'll try again with Elitewheels if they replace it.

Yeah, i'm no expert but it would be a bit sad to hit a pothole at 70kmh and for the rim to disintegrate because of this point of weakness. if you take a video where you can show that there's material missing / it sounds different, you should get aliexpress to take your side even if elite is reluctant.
If they're being unfair / trying to hard ball, you can tell them you will leave negative comments with your experience on the last 20 GCN videos to expose them as crooks or something. Their reputational risk is very high if they refuse to replace stuff when their QC misses material defects in stuff.