Author Topic: Budget Build  (Read 43036 times)

ecaos

Re: Budget Build
« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2015, 10:54:30 AM »
Hi, I just bought a Jagwire MTN Pro kit, it’s my first time using something different than the standard shimano steel cable + prelubed housing. I bought the kit expecting better performance for longer. I hadn’t paid that much attention to the whole kit until reading this so I didn’t know there is a separate piece of liner besides the housing. My frame has internal cable routing and from reading the instructions on the kit, seems to me that the liner is for those sections of external routing in between cable stops where there’s no housing. So, the liner shouldn’t be used in internal routing, isn’t it?

cmh

« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2015, 02:47:46 PM »
I did put on a cable lubricant when installing my r/d and remote lockout cables.  I think it was Cablemagic, lubes the cable and helps prevent corrosion.  My shifting is as smooth and accurate as the day I built the bike.

I've tried cable lubes in the past and have found that running them dry works best as long as you're using good quality cables and housing, and that doesn't necessarily mean expensive. Especially if you have multiple short sections of housing vs. a full run, it just seems like cable lube winds up attracting dirt and such. For the most part, they don't hurt, for sure, but I just haven't found them to be necessary or increase longevity.

To that point, I've tried a bunch of the high end fancy cable/housing sets - Nokon, Gore, etc - and don't find it to be worth the money. It's kinda like expensive spark plug wires for your car - if your old cables were really beat, the expensive new ones will make it seem like they're super awesome - when a new set of basic cables would have done the same thing. Plus, you don't feel so bad about regularly changing them which I've found over the years to be by far the best way to maintain shifting performance.

As for preventing corrosion, you should never be using anything but stainless cable so that shouldn't be an issue. :) Haven't found any benefit to running drawn cables or coated cables, so I just run plain stainless Jagwire cables.

Run full housing wherever you can, and replace it when the shifting isn't perfect.

bdub

« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2015, 04:28:17 PM »
Received my fork and wheelset from Bike-Discount.de today. Parts were packaged extremely well, and certainly no damage to anything. Total shipping time was exactly 2 weeks and didn't own any duties or taxes either.

Would definitely recommend them to anyone looking for a great price.

Now just waiting for my Merlin package. Will be exactly 2 weeks tomorrow so hopefully it comes before the long weekend.

Andy

« Reply #108 on: February 12, 2015, 06:48:35 PM »
I did put on a cable lubricant when installing my r/d and remote lockout cables.  I think it was Cablemagic, lubes the cable and helps prevent corrosion.  My shifting is as smooth and accurate as the day I built the bike.

I also use cable lubricant on all my bikes.  Cuts down on friction HUGE!!!!  Highly recommended for the ultimate performance from your shift/derailleur system.
Andy
Ip036
Ltk023
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 08:05:42 PM by Andy »

bdub

« Reply #109 on: February 19, 2015, 01:12:58 PM »
Going on 20 days since I ordered my XT Groupset from Merlins. Starting to get a little frustrated with this.

bdub

« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2015, 11:08:39 AM »
Apparently my package has been lost at the Royal Mail facility in the UK since 3 days after they shipped it, so over 2 weeks. Merlin probably could have fixed this last week when I emailed them if they hadn't blown me off. Really awful customer service.

bdub

« Reply #111 on: February 25, 2015, 10:41:53 AM »
Finally received my package from Merlins. What an adventure that was. Package went from the UK to the Netherlands, all the way to San Francisco and then finally to Utah. Hope to get this thing built by the weekend.

bdub

« Reply #112 on: February 28, 2015, 12:38:59 PM »
I have everything installed and now just trying to adjust the shifting and running into some issues. When I go to the biggest gear in the back and front the chain jams on the front derailleur. When installing the bottom bracket I used one spacer on the drive side per instructions. Possible that I shouldn't have used any?

bdub

« Reply #113 on: February 28, 2015, 03:06:50 PM »
Here she is all done. Just need to do a little adjusting here and there but she is ready to ride.

bdub

« Reply #114 on: March 02, 2015, 04:08:00 PM »
Updated my first post with my build list and prices.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #115 on: March 02, 2015, 09:28:35 PM »
Nice job keeping the cost down to around $2,000 USD.  Best bang for the buck!
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

MTB2223

« Reply #116 on: March 03, 2015, 03:29:49 AM »
Looking good!! Do you know the total weight ?

bdub

« Reply #117 on: March 03, 2015, 11:01:02 AM »
Thanks guys. Not sure on weight yet. Need to take it in to the shop to have it weighed.

bdub

« Reply #118 on: March 18, 2015, 12:13:39 PM »
Finally was able to get in a few rides and I am really like this bike. However I do have a few fit issues that I am not sure of the best way to fix. Going up hill it feel great but on the downhill it feels very twitchy and I feel like I am over the handle bars to much. What are things I can try to fix that?

JohnnyNT

« Reply #119 on: March 18, 2015, 02:00:26 PM »
Offset seatpost maybe ?