Author Topic: Little metal chain guard stickers  (Read 625 times)

PLA

Little metal chain guard stickers
« on: January 22, 2024, 01:44:16 AM »
Anyone have a link to these things? I want to replace the one from my partners bike, which is peeling a little.

The little silver metal chain guard sticker things usually located behind the bb towards the chainstay.

I've seen them so many times before but I'm at a loss trying to find them again.

It’s so clearly a LARP of an aero bike.

Velovelo

Re: Little metal chain guard stickers
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2024, 04:41:44 AM »

This could work:
https://www.7hundred.co.uk/accessories/finishing-kit/pinarello-most-chainstay-frame-protector-sticker-dark__61784

I use a wide transparent sticker though, to cover the whole area and then the whole chainstay too.

PLA

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2024, 09:14:18 AM »
yeah thanks mate. ended up finding them on aliexpress. not sure how good they'll be, so got a bloke at canyon to send me one

Tijoe

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2024, 09:42:55 PM »
I purchased these for $1.99 via the choice $1.99 deals 3-pick free shipping.  Stuck them on one of my bikes yesterday, so I have no idea how long they will last.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806116116206.html

Pedaldancer

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2024, 07:37:05 AM »
yeah thanks mate. ended up finding them on aliexpress. not sure how good they'll be, so got a bloke at canyon to send me one

I bought 0.1mm steel sheet with adhesive applied to one side. This is something you can cut with a strong scissor into the desired shape.
I think the canyon metal piece is a little bit small.
But in case your Aliexpress chain guard sticker works out... what did you order?

jonathanf2

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2024, 10:53:27 AM »
I purchased these for $1.99 via the choice $1.99 deals 3-pick free shipping.  Stuck them on one of my bikes yesterday, so I have no idea how long they will last.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806116116206.html

I use those as well. Did you pick the 5 sheet option? For some odd reason they have 1 and 5 sheets as an option, both for $1.99. It does work fine on my road bikes that see minimal moisture. On my gravel bike, I use old bar tape wrapped on the chain stay instead.

I tend to think those metal chain guard stickers are for people who don't know how to tune their FD or roadies who don't have the practical sense not to be on the small/small on a bumpy descent.

Sebastian

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2024, 05:59:03 AM »
I bought the copy of the Pinarello/Most chain protector sticker and I got another one on another bike. These are all metal sheets with an adhesive layer. They've stuck to my frames no problem. The problem I've found is that the area on the frame that these go onto is usually not perfectly flat, these protection plates however are. So I wasn't able to get them to sit completely flush all the way around. That's why I wonder how good they are actually going to work when push comes to shove. I think the chain might just tear them right off. I guess I'll see.

PLA

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2024, 07:21:47 AM »
I bought the copy of the Pinarello/Most chain protector sticker and I got another one on another bike. These are all metal sheets with an adhesive layer. They've stuck to my frames no problem. The problem I've found is that the area on the frame that these go onto is usually not perfectly flat, these protection plates however are. So I wasn't able to get them to sit completely flush all the way around. That's why I wonder how good they are actually going to work when push comes to shove. I think the chain might just tear them right off. I guess I'll see.

My mate at canyon sent me a couple after I ordered some from aliex, and he said they recommend to silicon them on and not use the adhesive. Even with the specific ones they sell for their bikes.