Author Topic: D-shaped Steerer Road Disc Fork  (Read 752 times)

Eddy_Twerckx

D-shaped Steerer Road Disc Fork
« on: March 11, 2024, 12:17:58 PM »
EXS makes a carbon fork that's meant to hide the cables on the old TCR. I'm wondering if anybody makes a similar fork with a 1 1/8" steerer tube.

https://www.pandapodium.cc/product/exs-fk-01-integrated-fork/

joegal

Re: D-shaped Steerer Road Disc Fork
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2024, 03:00:54 PM »
Winspace?

Sakizashi

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2024, 01:23:32 PM »
EXS makes a carbon fork that's meant to hide the cables on the old TCR. I'm wondering if anybody makes a similar fork with a 1 1/8" steerer tube.

https://www.pandapodium.cc/product/exs-fk-01-integrated-fork/

Email EXS. They have shown a fork that appears to be what you are looking for integrating cables on a Tarmac SL6. It was captured by one of the more technical members of the Escape Collective community.

Eddy_Twerckx

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2024, 01:51:54 PM »
Email EXS. They have shown a fork that appears to be what you are looking for integrating cables on a Tarmac SL6. It was captured by one of the more technical members of the Escape Collective community.

Interesting. I wonder if it’s the same fork with a different headset. I was looking at the diagrams and the outer diameter of the top bearing is the same for the TCR and Tarmac (and most road bikes). The inner diameter is what is difference to fit the bigger steerer tube. I wonder if you could just buy a TCR headset assembly to make it work.

ritxis

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2024, 02:24:26 PM »
Interesting. I wonder if it’s the same fork with a different headset. I was looking at the diagrams and the outer diameter of the top bearing is the same for the TCR and Tarmac (and most road bikes). The inner diameter is what is difference to fit the bigger steerer tube. I wonder if you could just buy a TCR headset assembly to make it work.

without counting the new TCR 2025...all previous TCRs have the seat for the steering the same up or down...so all TCR frames can mount OD2 or OD fork......You just have to install the appropriate bearings, up and down.

I have a Giant OD2 fork at home and I can place the fork on a Focus frame and on a Cube, with the OD2 lower bearing...the problem is at the top, although the bearing fits into the frame, when putting the adjustment wedge and the bearing cover, there is a lot of space between it and the frame

From what I have looked at, the superior OD2 bearing has an external diameter the same as other bikes with a 1 1/8 headset (the ones named Focus and Cube and many others...) but that bearing, the wedge and the cover are specific for OD2 forks.....There may also be a difference in the depth of the seat at the top of the frame.....

in short.....In the same TCR frame we could mount their OD2 and OD forks and other forks that have a 1 1/4" bottom, but the Giant OD2 forks with a 1 1/4" top tube would not be suitable for other frames....we would just have to check the Canyon and Scott using above 1 1/4"

Eddy_Twerckx

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2024, 02:35:10 PM »
without counting the new TCR 2025...all previous TCRs have the seat for the steering the same up or down...so all TCR frames can mount OD2 or OD fork......You just have to install the appropriate bearings, up and down.

I have a Giant OD2 fork at home and I can place the fork on a Focus frame and on a Cube, with the OD2 lower bearing...the problem is at the top, although the bearing fits into the frame, when putting the adjustment wedge and the bearing cover, there is a lot of space between it and the frame

From what I have looked at, the superior OD2 bearing has an external diameter the same as other bikes with a 1 1/8 headset (the ones named Focus and Cube and many others...) but that bearing, the wedge and the cover are specific for OD2 forks.....There may also be a difference in the depth of the seat at the top of the frame.....

in short.....In the same TCR frame we could mount their OD2 and OD forks and other forks that have a 1 1/4" bottom, but the Giant OD2 forks with a 1 1/4" top tube would not be suitable for other frames....we would just have to check the Canyon and Scott using above 1 1/4"

Are you saying the Giant bearing is too short or too tall? Or rather, is the bearing seat too far down in the steerer? I’m trying to visualize what you said. Do you have any pictures?

ritxis

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2024, 01:33:26 AM »

Are you saying the Giant bearing is too short or too tall? Or rather, is the bearing seat too far down in the steerer? I’m trying to visualize what you said. Do you have any pictures?

This afternoon I take photos of the Giant fork mounted on the Focus frame

at the moment bearings of the Giant

OD2 fork: Upper – MR136 – 32.8 x 41.8 x 6 – 45/45     Lower – MR137 – 37 x 46.9 x 7 – 45/45

OD fork Upper – MH-P08F – 30.5 x 41.8 x 8 – 45/45      Lower – MH-P22 – 34.1 x 46.9 x 7 – 45/45

As you will see...in the upper one only the thickness changes 6 vs 8 and obviously the inner diameter

in the lower one only the inner diameter

Eddy_Twerckx

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2024, 05:45:38 AM »
This afternoon I take photos of the Giant fork mounted on the Focus frame

at the moment bearings of the Giant

OD2 fork: Upper – MR136 – 32.8 x 41.8 x 6 – 45/45     Lower – MR137 – 37 x 46.9 x 7 – 45/45

OD fork Upper – MH-P08F – 30.5 x 41.8 x 8 – 45/45      Lower – MH-P22 – 34.1 x 46.9 x 7 – 45/45

As you will see...in the upper one only the thickness changes 6 vs 8 and obviously the inner diameter

in the lower one only the inner diameter

If it’s a thickness issue, I imagine a few spacers could solve that? Or maybe a different top cap?

ritxis

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2024, 11:00:39 AM »
If it’s a thickness issue, I imagine a few spacers could solve that? Or maybe a different top cap?

Focus Izalco Race with Cube Attain fork.....(frame head tude and fork tube tapered 1 1/8"-1 1/4"

Frame with  Defy OD2 fork

Detail upper headset (FSA OD2)

]

« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 11:03:04 AM by ritxis »

Eddy_Twerckx

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2024, 05:29:00 PM »
Focus Izalco Race with Cube Attain fork.....(frame head tude and fork tube tapered 1 1/8"-1 1/4"

Frame with  Defy OD2 fork

Detail upper headset (FSA OD2)

]

Hmm. Interesting. All the diagrams I've seen would suggest that the Giant OD2 bearings and headset pieces are smaller than my current setup. So maybe the cups are recessed more with the Giant.

The Giant top bearing is 6mm, my normal top bearing is 8mm. So it should sit lower in the frame. But it looks like the Giant frame bearing is recessed into the frame. I wonder if a different top cap would work.

I ordered a Giant bearing to try with my frame to see what it looks like. We'll see.

Eddy_Twerckx

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2024, 10:13:02 AM »
Winspace?

Yes! They make exactly what I need. Now just need to buy one.

The white one is actually the exact thing I'm looking for to match the frame I have. I've emailed Winspace to ask about buying. I wonder if there are other channels to get a hold of one.