Chinese Carbon Road Bikes > Road Bike Frames, Wheels & Components

TPU vs Latex innertube

<< < (6/6)

Takiyaki:
I'm still torn. Latex is def cheaper and easier to install but for me they never held air for more than a day. I think they'd lose pressure on a long (for me) ride. I'm gonna try tubeless and see what happens

BalticSea:

--- Quote from: Takiyaki on March 17, 2024, 07:56:39 AM ---I'm still torn. Latex is def cheaper and easier to install but for me they never held air for more than a day. I think they'd lose pressure on a long (for me) ride. I'm gonna try tubeless and see what happens

--- End quote ---

I believe RideNow TPU tubes are cheaper than any latex tube on the market. And doesn't lose pressure nearly as easily either.

I don't think latex tube would lose enough air to worry about, unless you ride for 8 hours non-stop, but I've had plenty of times when I had to inflate tubes twice in one day - in the morning to get to the work and in the evening to take a ride after work.

Sebastian:

--- Quote from: Takiyaki on March 17, 2024, 07:56:39 AM ---I'm still torn. Latex is def cheaper and easier to install but for me they never held air for more than a day. I think they'd lose pressure on a long (for me) ride. I'm gonna try tubeless and see what happens

--- End quote ---

I really only have experience with Vittorias latex tubes, as a stand-alone inner tube and as part of their tubulars. In my experience they retain air pretty well actually when new. Not much at all within a day. It’s only really on the second or third day that you notice significant pressure loss. If they’re older however  then it gets much worse. I had older tubulars where pressure already dropped noticeably within the same day. It wouldn’t be enough to be really noticeable within a single ride. But if you did more than 10 hours of riding or you’re out there all day, you would get to the point where you need to top up air.

jonathanf2:
I've setup numerous gravel tires for tubeless with no issues, but setting up 25c tubeless tires was problematic for me. I don't see myself sizing up my tires for road. I just said f**k it, and went back to TPU tubes and clinchers. I can toss several TPU tubes in the saddle bag and carry an electric pump. Sure you're still prone to flats, but you can easily swap out your clincher tires depending on terrain. I prefer having that flexibility if I want to go with a sub-200g slick or a more durable road tire.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version