Author Topic: Brake sound question  (Read 4260 times)

Patrick C.

Brake sound question
« on: January 04, 2015, 10:39:03 PM »
I have XT brakes on my -057, and so far the performance has been excellent.  This is the first time I've had discs and I was wondering if some of the sounds are normal, or if maybe I didn't wear-in the pads enough.  They make a scrubbing sound on most stops- not super loud, so I usually can't hear it on a hard stop, but it is noticeable if everything else is quiet.  I also get a lot of squeal when they are wet, but this goes away after a couple of good stops.  Do I just need to do some power stops in the parking lot, or does it sound like there is something else going on?

MTB2223

Re: Brake sound question
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 02:43:37 AM »
Couldn't hear anything on your video, so, my answer is based on your text.

First start to clean your brake rotor with special brake cleaner. Do the same with your brake pads. Then it's important to run in you brake pads. Make some speed, downhill is the best, use your brake lightly (to warm them up a little bit) and then firmly (power stop). Do this multiple times (front and rear separately). This is the best way to prepare your brake even for wet weather.

I had some braking noise on my first rotors (shark fin rotors), it didn't go away. After changing my rotor for other (totaly different design, Avid HS3) it's now very quiet.

MTB2223

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 03:02:26 AM »
Couldn't hear anything on your video, so, my answer is based on your text.
I got a second monitor for my laptop and used HDMI, that's why I couldn't hear anything.

Now I've heard the sound, I stay with my answer.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 04:32:19 PM »
I have XT brakes on both my 29ers, generally no issues with them.  Like MTB2223 says, proper bedding of the pads is important, you need an even transfer of pad material on the rotor surface.  Some recommend to just sand the pads slightly to renew the surface for a second shot at bedding in the pads to the rotors.  Never needed to do it myself.  My only issue with noise is when the rotors get wet, they will howl a bit until under initial braking but nothing consistently annoying.  In the dry my brakes are near silent.

Also, double check you have torqued all the rotor and caliper bolts to spec.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Patrick C.

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 05:09:31 PM »
Thanks guys- they are centerlock, so I guess that's 10 fewer things to get loose :)

Torque should be good on everything.  The power stops are probably good to get a feel for just how hard I can brake before going over the bars.

MTB2223

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 12:09:10 AM »
  The power stops are probably good to get a feel for just how hard I can brake before going over the bars.
With the right (basic) technique you'll never going over your bars, no matter how hard you using your brakes.

Patrick C.

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 01:44:08 PM »
Sure, but with the right technique I'd never crash at all :)

cmh

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 02:18:45 PM »
Sure, but with the right technique I'd never crash at all :)

Just saw the video, definitely nothing out of the ordinary, I've had brakes make that noise. Don't think they do now, another +1 for MTB2223's reply.

Vipassana

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 12:59:19 PM »
Mine moan/Squeal just a bit at the start of really wet/muddy rides.  But they are quiet again within a couple of stops.  So far, they are the least problematic brakes I've ever had experience with.  By a LONG margin.

Mine make a slight scrubbing (rubbing noise I guess) sound on long slow stops, but I would think it is normal.  It's hardly noticeable and can't be heard on the trail.

cmh

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 09:59:06 PM »
Mine moan/Squeal just a bit at the start of really wet/muddy rides.  But they are quiet again within a couple of stops.  So far, they are the least problematic brakes I've ever had experience with.  By a LONG margin.

Every set of Avids I've had howl like hungry dogs if they get even a little bit wet. Just seems to be what they do. My wife has a set of Formula R1s on her (now basically unused) 26er, and they made a chirping noise which had me calling her the "angry chipmunk" - but the XTs on her 29er, I don't think they've ever made a peep. We did get that bike used so the brakes were already worn in.