Chinese Carbon Road Bikes > Road Bike Frames, Wheels & Components

Rim brake road bike frame with at least 28mm tire clearance

<< < (2/4) > >>

Takiyaki:
Have you considered going disc with cable? That will let you keep everything rim brake except the calipers/wheels, and give you substantially more tire clearance.

Velobuild's VB-R-066 comes in rim brake and disc and meets a lot of your requirements. I would still lean towards disc. Yes you will need a new wheelset too but that's an opportunity to really lean into the width. You can even get MTB wheels if aero is not a concern. Then use your rim brake groupset with something like Juin Tech F1 calipers. Something to think about

KvotheTheRaven:
I have a rim brake Trek Emonda ALR. I've fitted 30c tires in there and would have no problem going to 32s. It's decently light too for an aluminum frame at around 1200g with paint and hardware in size 50. The only box it doesn't tick is a threaded bb. I would definitely recommend, the smooth welds make it seem almost like carbon.

Sebastian:
There's still a few options around with direct mount rim brakes if you search Aliexpress thoroughly enough. My VB-R218 has direct mount rim brakes and definitely fits tires measuring up to 32mm with still enough clearance. Also my rims are 30mm wide and the slightly better braking performance with direct mount rim brakes helps with that. But I think this is about the widest you will ever be able to go with rim brakes.

belgischer_kreisel:

--- Quote from: Takiyaki on March 28, 2024, 06:02:16 AM ---Have you considered going disc with cable?
--- End quote ---

Haha YES. Every other day I change my mind. I am just a bit concerned about guiding compressionless housings along the handlebar/through the frame (too strong bends) and from which cable actuated brakes to choose (maybe juintech f1 but they are pretty damn expensive).

Anyway, thanks for the big response. I fear its a never ending quest for me.

Takiyaki:
I mean if you really just want to dip your toe into the disc brake thing, consider getting a disc fork + wheel + cable brake caliper for one of your rim brake road bikes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version