Chinese Carbon MTB > 29er

XC Marathon Fully with... Drops? Advice?

(1/5) > >>

MovinMamba:
Hi everyone, I'm looking to build a gravel bike that might be on the verge of over biking.

I saw XC FS frames used at races like Leadville and was wondering how dumb would it be for a roadie like me to build up the same kinda bike with a drop bar? I.e Dylan Johnson style with FS (He used a hardtail xc).

I'm assuming reach issues with a 30-40mm stem could be solved to get a similar geo to most gravel bikes, so far I've been looking at the Light Carbon 918?

Considering there isn't too much information and I've been a roadie for the past 3 years, is this a really really dumb idea?
Am I missing something completely? Any advice is appreciate thank you I love you all mwah mwah

wfl3:

Really the biggest issue I see using an MTB frame as the base for a gravel bike is the limited front chainring size if you try to keep the recommended chain line.

Maybe going 2x solves this?     

MovinMamba:
Sorry I'm somewhat of a mtb newbie, but why is it limiting? I mean I know the LCFS918 is listed as 36t but is this typically a bottoming out or frame issue? Ideally I could run 40t 1 by.

And if it was 2 by you mean to say that it would clear the frame better because it's offset? Do you think I could just run a single chainring then if I just yolo it and leave only the big ring on?

Appreciate your help and here is one of my Inspos :D

https://www.instagram.com/p/CxOiucSuq0s/?hl=en

Peak district XC:
I think you main issue would be clearance on the frame rear triangle I think 38t would be possible on 918, but wouldn’t be ideal clearance wise. X2 I don’t think would work as the spacing would be terrible for chainline. You could see what a what gearing you could do with 36/38t with a non standard 12speed rear cassette to give closer higher speed ratios (Shimano make one for the old x2) but your going to be limited by the smallest cog for the highest gear. Would something like as you mention a HT mtb or maybe better the new gravel frame with a small amount of rear travel and put a front fork in.

jefflinde:
dengue makes a full suspension gravel frame.  built around a 100/100mm travel.  http://m.dengfubikes.com/index.php?s=/229.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version