Other Resources > Component Deals & Selection

Magene l508 vs garmin radars

(1/3) > >>

aliexpress_junkie:
Lots of reviews I've read on the magene are older (8+ months every time) and they always end up saying it's not quite as good as the garmin radars. A few false negatives, several false positives, clearing up the alert way too soon etc.

This is also valid for all the other "clones" as well, from Bryton etc.

Anybody still have that experience with the latest firmwares? I had a friend tell me the magene is amazing a year ago but he never actually had a garmin one, in a group ride we had both and it was clear the garmin one was a lot more accurate. I really love having a radar but I hate having to buy a micro-usb one like the garmin if that's the only one that's working decently, so was wondering if the firmwares made them better now or if it's really a hardware issue for most of them.

kbernstein:
This guy says the firmware is a lot better now

I agree it is a shame how many youtubers review products after one week, point out software issues and then never update us later once said issues have been addressed. And don't count on chinese manufacturers to give us a detailed changelog either

zerstorer:
Been using the Magene l508 since it was released, since July 2022.

It has never produced false negatives. No radar should do that since it would be unsafe and useless.
It used to produce an occasional false positive but you hardly see it nowadays.

The good thing about it is the app that allows you to customize every parameter from it's time to sleep, brightness and flash frequency of every single light mode and the point at which it goes into power saving mode.

pushpush:
Even the garmin produces occasional falses (neg and pos). I believe after a lot of use that this is the result of their noise filtering. The most disconcerting behavior is when a car sits behind you at a consistent distance for some period of time. The radar on occasion will decide that it isn't a moving object and will stop reporting it. When the distance to the car changes it suddenly reappears.

I still prefer riding with radar whenever possible, but it isn't perfect. None of them are. I have no experience with the Magene units, but at this point I'm sure they are as good as the Garmin ones.

aliexpress_junkie:
Yes I don't think expecting perfection from a radar is reasonable, you should always be on guard all the time and the radar is just something extra that helps.

Thanks for the recent information, this is a bit reassuring, as firmware issues that can be fixed via software is better than having say a bad sensor that just would never work no matter how much code you throw at it.

How's the magene in group rides? Does it go crazy?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version