Chinese Carbon Road Bikes > Road Bike Frames, Wheels & Components

Seka Spear

(1/5) > >>

Eddy_Twerckx:
Seka just released their new frameset and it looks pretty good. Kind of poised as an endurance bike judging by the geo numbers but not super relaxed. Weight is really nice and looks decently aero. There’s a big discussion about it over on WeightWeenies (along with the usual bickering). Interested to hear what people here think. It’s not listed on the Seka website yet though.

Sakizashi:
That thread over on WW is a mess. I think its an interesting idea. Definitely an endurance bike except for the "R" sizes which are more inline with current race bikes.

What it seems to show is that Seka has produced a competitive bike with the latest gen of bikes. Is it any more or less competitive than the similar weight Elilee Blize? Not really by what is shown. Does Seka make a better bike? Maybe? They made a lot of noise about the RDC line using the same factory as Factor, but that's pretty meaningless. The price point is fun but not that convincing. I would like to see these brands do more. Elilee could do bundles with their cranks and i would like to see these brands make their own super light stems in addition to their bar.

Its cool there are now Chinese brands looking to compete internationally with their products and mix it up with the top names.

patliean1:
That thread was a mess because folks have become too comfortable with personal attacks, rude comments, and low value replies. A trend I've also seen grow on this forum in the past year, but we all are free to choose where we spend our time online. No harm no foul.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this SEKA Spear release plays out. Some of the larger hurdles will be availability to the western world, fulfillment times, and post-sales customer support. Among whether or not the frame will actually be any good.

Currently I'm in the market for an SL8, but now I'm just gonna wait until the Spear, Tavelo Arow, and Bross Zenith get launched. $1500 and up Chinese frames can be a hard sell for some people, but I do think there is some value there if packaged correctly.

Petr (CyclistsHub.com):
At first glance, their WindEye seatstays seem like a marketing gimmick. However, according to SEKA, they should also have practical benefits (aero + comfort). Whether this is also reality is the question. Anyway, I'm starting to like it, and in an age where most bikes look almost identical, it seems like a good and thoughtful move from a business perspective. At the same time, it's interesting that they decided to go the "wide fork" route. I'd honestly like to see the frame in the real world in that "raw carbon" design. However, the question is when and for how much the frame will be available in Europe and the US.
By the way, I've written up what we know about the SEKA Spear so far here: https://www.cyclistshub.com/seka-introduces-spear/.

Serge_K:
I tried to read the WW thread, all 7 pages of it. That was painful. And sad. I think 4 posts were useful, the rest being people with account names like "TobinHatesYou" bickering like old Greek women at the market for a grand total of zero value add.
I have mixed feelings about expensive Chinese frames, and big reservation around the seat stays, & would rather buy the same frame for less and just painted black, BUT the weight & aero claims really are compelling. It does look like great attention to detail, given the well thought out accessories. At some point it can't all be just marketing, right?
I also find it telling that they seemingly are much more focused on the Asian market than the West. If that's really the case, then it's really an interesting evolution of the road bike market.
And kudos to them for releasing so many sizes, making all these moulds and running inventory on everything is quite a task.
I would fit on a Medium myself, it's a tad lower than my LT268, so that clearly isn't an endurance geometry, but not too aggressive either.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version