Chinese Carbon MTB > Fat Bikes

Fat bike project underway

(1/9) > >>

cmh:
So I'm jumping in on this fat bike bandwagon to see if it's all that. My point of entry was a Motobecane Boris the Evil Brute Sprung - and yes, that's actually the name. I considered going with a Chiner, but since a fat bike has many parts that I don't already have on hand, (frame/fork/wheels/tires/etc) I decided to go with a complete bike, especially since the purchase price of a Bluto fork is half of the total purchase price of the Boris. A Bluto plus a set of Chiner fat bike wheels would almost equal the purchase price of the Boris! Plus, I've always been curious about bikesdirect bikes, so this was an opportunity to get some info, get a bike, and try out the fat bike thing all at once.

In the pursuit of information, first thing I did was not assemble it - but tear it down completely and weigh everything:

Fatty McBlorp's weight loss program

Got it all built up and gonna ride it stock for a little while - about as long as it takes the shipment from XMIPlay of rims, handlebar, and seatpost to arrive. :D

Carbon_Dude:
I like the fork.  Not crazy about the frame though.  Maybe get a Chiner Fatbike frame and move all the parts over :).

Sitar_Ned:
I've bought Motobecane bikes before.. Nothing but good things to say, really. Seems like the Boris is a great entry point into a fat bike to see if it's something you'll want to ride and invest in long term. If so, you can always upgrade the frame later on down the road. Seems more important that you went ahead and got the carbon fat bike rims. I've no experience with fat bikes, but it seems that it'd be pretty important to have a mid to high range set of wheels and rubber on there. I mean.. holy cow.. 15.5 pounds in wheels and tires alone? That sounds like it'd be sluggish to me BUT I've never ridden one. 

How much do you expect to lose by upgrading to the Iplay carbon rims, bar, and post? You have your next upgrade in mind yet?

Looking forward to hear how you like it, and how much you ride it compared to your other bikes. See if it becomes your "go to" bike, or just a cool addition you have fun on occasionally.

cmh:

--- Quote from: Carbon_Dude on February 03, 2015, 08:58:51 PM ---I like the fork.  Not crazy about the frame though.  Maybe get a Chiner Fatbike frame and move all the parts over :).

--- End quote ---

That's my exact thought process! :D

1) Get the Boris, cheap entry level - get the Bluto and the nice XT parts.
2) Hit the important upgrades (rims for weight loss and easy tubeless, post and bars because cheap)
3) Ride it, see what I think
4) If I like it... well, the IP-N019 sure looks nice.

jwilds1:
Good luck!  I've got a Fantom FB4 Comp from bikesdirect and I can't complain - the price of entry is half that of other bikes.  I made a half-hearted attempt to sell it to fund my Chiner, but I've had so much fun on it this winter that I'm keeping it and putting it on a diet on a budget.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version