Chinese Carbon MTB > 29er

New Light Carbon LCSF980 XC bike

<< < (4/6) > >>

jefflinde:

--- Quote from: Aradell on August 28, 2024, 03:45:43 AM ---If you don't mind sharing. What did you pay for the frame?
And please update on the progress! Would love to see this one being build up!

--- End quote ---

i was quoted $550 for the frame and headset, axle and seat color.  shipping to the US was 170 i think. 

repoman:

--- Quote from: Aradell on August 28, 2024, 03:45:43 AM ---If you don't mind sharing. What did you pay for the frame?
And please update on the progress! Would love to see this one being build up!

--- End quote ---

USD $783 shipped
XC14 bars were about $113
Wheels I bought were about $850

repoman:

Got the frame and bars, started building it, mostly just dry fitting everything to see if it all goes together well right now.
So far-
The good: really well finished in appearance. Carbon looks really clean on the inside from what I can see. Bearing seats on the headset look uniform and crisp/well formed.   

The bad: the BB threads were AWFUL. I thought I would have to send the frame back, they are so chunky I thought I would never get a BB threaded into either side. Spent a couple hours scraping the thread with steel pick to smooth them out enough so that one side would thread. Had to make a precision mandrel out of acetal on my lathe to guide the other bearing onto where it needed to be so it wouldn't cross thread. Got both BB bearing halves on correctly and they have chased the threads somewhat, but this was REALLY bad. It should not have left the factory like this.

There is slop in the bearing seats in the headset. It's not horrible, but not good either. I think the headset will compress everything down but this is WAY sloppier than the seats on the gravel bike I have by Light Carbon.   

There is only 1 spacer for the headset, it's about 5mm in stack. They sent a headset by mistake that must be for some road bike as well with a gajillion spacers but they are completely different in shape. I might be able to get a normal round spacer on there or 3D print some others, but it's really crummy to only get 1 small spacer.

The handlebars look ok, but the bore for the fork post is really sloppy. 
Who ever put the seat post clamp on just slammed it on crooked and tightened it, I thought I was going to break the end of the carbon seat tube when trying to delicately get it off but managed to do so.

Overall, from where it stands, I'm disappointed in this frame so far. The worst part was the BB, borderline un-useable without something like a BB BSA tap to chase or some other involved process like what I've done. I cannot get a Sram branded BSA DUB BB into it, just the one that came with the Lexon crank which is SLIGHTLY smaller in OD than the Sram one. I'll have to take it to a bike shop to recut those threads when this BB is done.

impmonkey:
That is disappointing. Was looking forward to this frame. Kinda glad I haven't ordered it yet.

repoman:

I found this in the handle bar when trimming to length, dunno what to make of it. The carbon feels like it has no resin on the surface of the interior. I can feel the weave and pick at it. There aren't loose threads but I can feel the texture of the weave. Anyone know if that is normal? Never seen that on handlebars before.  Cross section of the tubing looks very solid.  :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version