Author Topic: 29er/29er+ Picture Overaly  (Read 1895 times)

Carbon_Dude

29er/29er+ Picture Overaly
« on: June 21, 2016, 07:11:18 PM »
So I thought I would try overlaying a picture of my -057 and Stache to get a visual of how different the bikes are and if there was something I could do on the -057 to make it more comfortable like the Stache is for me.

I aligned the center axle of the crank in Photoshop.  What surprised me was how the seat heights were nearly identical even though the seat feels a bit lower on the Stache.

Here is another version of the same picture with a filter applied:

2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Sitar_Ned

Re: 29er/29er+ Picture Overaly
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 08:54:30 PM »
Huh. Well that's pretty damn interesting CD. I can't for the life of me understand what would make the Stache more comfortable for you, as they look so close. One thing that stands out is the Stache has a more raked out fork (slacker hta?) but that wouldn't affect comfort really, as much as it would handling. Perhaps just a better seat, bars, and grips? Or maybe a bit of confirmation bias due to you being so impressed with the 29+ platform?

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 09:08:18 PM »
I'm thinking I could adjust the stem, bars, grips and seat a bit on the -057.  I could shorten the stem down by 20mm, to 80mm, get a set of low rise bars that are a bit wider, 720mm instead of 680mm, put on a set of ergonomic grips, and push the seat back about 1/2".  Doing so would make the -057 closer to the Stache in terms of reach.

I rode another guys Stache that was setup completely different than mine in terms of the seat, bars, stem and grips. Frame size was the same.  I wasn't a fan of his setup but it showed me just how different two bikes can be with just what seems to be minor differences in those few parts.

However, the biggest difference may still be the HUGE difference in how smooth the ride is with the plus tires.  I just don't seem to nearly as much fatigue in my lower back as I do on the IP-057.  Much less than I would even get on my FS Chiner.  Patrick C tried installing a set of 27.5 wheels with 2.8" tires but clearance at the chain stays was nearly zero.  Not to mention, I've ridden some 27.5x3.0 bikes and the ride is only slightly less harsh and grip is only slightly better than my -057, not nearly the difference the Stache has.

Also the picture shows there is an extra inch or so of bottom bracket clearance on the Stache which helps explain why I have only had 1 pedal strike in 200 miles of riding so far.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 09:11:03 PM by Carbon_Dude »
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Patrick C.

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 09:34:36 PM »
Pretty cool comparison.  Can you get someone else to take the picture with you on the bike, to see how your posture compares?  Aligning the pics at ground level would be interesting too.  It looks like everything is a half inch to an inch higher, just wondering if you are more upright or more relaxed on the Stache.  I'm sure the softer ride is a big factor, but like you mentioned small changes in the setup can have a big impact.  I've tried tweaking my bar position lately (rotating the bar in the stem) after I started getting numb hands.  I probably need to try different bars/stems as well, and remember not to keep a death grip on the bars.

SportingGoods

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 02:55:47 AM »
One key point I just noticed: the seat tube angle is very different. The Stach, with a lower angle, will be more comfortable while riding as the seatpost will flex more. I wouldn't expect any difference in static position, just while riding. Thinking twice about it, this could explain that you feel lower on the Stach, a couple mm are enough to make a difference.
You really did a good job at matching your position on the 2 bikes.