Author Topic: Comparison between different Ti frame builders: Waltly, xcad, Titan cycles, etc  (Read 2718 times)

trendsfriend

I'm trying to build a custom Ti gravel frame. Waltly seems to be the most popular one. But I'm also curious about the other ones. I'm also in contact with xcad and Titan, both of which have been more responsive and detailed with their responses. I can't find much reviews on the other 2. How do they compare with each other in all aspects ranging from build quality, design options, warranty, customer support, or anything else that comes to mind? Please share your experiences and findings

ottoreni

I have only used Walty and Titan.

I have  had two Walty builds and one Titan build.  Both were super easy to deal with and pretty straightforward. 

Walty built my two 29 hardtails.  I am currently riding one, going on three years or so.  The other one I sold sometime ago.  I am happy with the Vassago Moose Knuckle style frame they built.  It is my go to hardtail.

Titan built me a 29 soft-tail that I am still riding, going on just over a year.

I have not had to deal with a warranty issue with either, and both frames built up super easily.

I plan to get another build in another year, another soft-tail, and will most likely go with Titan as they did such a spot on job with my current soft-tail.

avocadobike

have had two bikes with waltly... no issues.

ive just received a bike by XCAD, the bottle cage screw holes are too low so cannot hang a FD unless i get a custom hanger. also i wanted it  to fit 35MM tyres which it does but sit very close to rubbbing, if my wheels dont run true ill be in trouble.

Sakizashi

have had two bikes with waltly... no issues.

ive just received a bike by XCAD, the bottle cage screw holes are too low so cannot hang a FD unless i get a custom hanger. also i wanted it  to fit 35MM tyres which it does but sit very close to rubbbing, if my wheels dont run true ill be in trouble.

Is your frame out of spec? Or were things just not caught in the drawings?

Problem solvers makes a FD hanger that is slotted to give you more range. On my bike, the hanger is between the ST bottle bosses by design; but its something that I needed to check as FD mounting height isnt universal between brands and between road and gravel groups

nicklej

I have only had a frame Titan and chose them based on price mainly but was reassured by their fast replies and helpfulness. Changing frame design with them was easy and nothing was too much trouble. My frame took about 8 weeks to produce from ordering.

I have had it coming up to 4 months now so not enough time to comment on things conclusively. I can say that the build quality was excellent. Welds are beautiful and all threaded parts of the frame are very clean. So far I have had no issues and really love my bike from them. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them and hopefully my relationship with them extends in good terms if a warranty claim is required in the future. I have been regularly checking the welds because I had a Ti frame crack previously but no signs of issues right now. Hopeful to have this frame for many years to come!

mirphak

I have a Waltly frame. Very nice build ... Until two days when my rear axle (very soft aluminum) got terribly stuck, despite not putting too much pressure on it and having some copper grease. I haven't been able to fix it yet unfortunately... :(

tripleDot

I have 3 titanium bikes all done by Waltly.

Nov 2018 - Gravel Bike
Primarily built as a flatbar gravel bike and initially built as a 1x11 and eventually converted to a Single Speed. I'm still riding it as an SS.
Notable rides : Audax 400, 300 & 200

Jul 2020 - MTB 29er
Built and setup as a full-rigid mtb as that's what suited the trails I do.
Notable rides : various overnight bikepacking, light trails

Aug 2022 - Gravel Bike
Having converted my gravel bike to SS, I built this one to serve my touring, geared gravel bike and long distance rides needs. It is set it up as a 2x11 flatbar gravel bike.
Notable rides : Audax 600, 400 & 300, various light touring

All 3 bikes are still in service and in great shape. Never had any manufacturing issues. All agreed upon specifications have been met by Waltly to my satisfaction. Dates are when the bikes were built not when it was commissioned with Waltly.
July 2020 - Custom Waltly Ti 29er
Nov 2018 - Custom Waltly Ti Gravel
Apr 2018 - CS-496 29x3.0 - stripped
Feb 2018 - CS-RB01 (SS Road)
Sep 2016 - CS-RB01 (road sold)
Jun 2016 - Chinese CF XC - stripped
Mar 2016 - Haro Projekt (sold)
Feb 2008 - Jamis Durango 29 (sold)
Mar 2001 - Scott Scale (sold)

kwantani

Almost all of the titanium factories are situated in the China Titanium Corridor: Baoji, Shaanxi Province. This is also the aerospace industry manufacturing base. Many of the mentioned ti frameset are made from here. I got my Ti gravel frameset from a Baoji based company called KWIT (King Whales Infor Technology). I'm happy with the workmanship and the quality of the frameset, but not with the company sales team (not very professional nor knowledgeable). Got my frameset in ~3 months or so like most of the posters here.

I'm looking forward for them to refine the products.. e.g. double/tripped butted tubing's, lighter weight, 3D printing etc etc...

Unsworn5836

Waltly already joined the 3d printing game.
Ordered a frame about a month back and waiting for my "pre xmas" present :D

MTBiz

I only have experience with Titan, Anita offer very good presale and after sale support.

Here's my Soft-tail I got 2 august ago