Author Topic: Smart trainer  (Read 697 times)

Ludo

Smart trainer
« on: August 25, 2024, 12:17:45 PM »
What are you guys using?

I have seen some in Ali, discussed here, I saw some on market place too, but really unsure what to get. Looking at something to keep me going during the winter months but I don’t want to break the bank for it…

Any must avoid or recommendations? Admittedly I have doing much research on the topic yet…

James dean

Re: Smart trainer
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2024, 02:57:02 PM »
you can do a cheap elite trainer. They are ok for a few years at best.

Serge_K

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2024, 03:20:52 PM »
I have two elite trainers. One I got second hand, that's seen many, many, many hours of work. Very happy with both.
Honestly I think any of the usual suspects will do the work just fine, unless you really have very specific asks.
DC rain maker and llama and these guys have basically shown how similarly great all the usual suspects are.
If you're going to zwift, that zwift cog looks very interesting. My trainers make much more noise in the big ring so I like the idea of using the small ring and that cog while having all the range of geas. Although that's not currently possible. Probably something they'll software fix.
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.

ultreia

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2024, 10:52:26 AM »
I used a Xplova Noza S.

Now I am a happy user of Thinkrider X7 Pro Gen4. Not too much use at the moment, let's see how it goes this next winter!

ich1maru

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2024, 11:06:33 AM »
I would recommend waiting few months for the new Jet Black Victory smart trainer. For 399$ you get everything you would need from a smart trainer. Its the same company that made the zwift smart trainer so you should expect at least the same quality as that and it seems like its a good product.

ChrisB

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2024, 04:20:03 PM »
User of two Tacx Flux-S here, many used on the market for a decent price.
They may need some belt maintenance once in a while but you can find a lot of information in a Facebook group and parts are easy to get.
Mine is now over 5 years old and still going strong.

In my opinion not worth getting something unproven from AliX, due to the weight the shipment will cost you and arm and a leg...

BR Chris
« Last Edit: August 27, 2024, 04:22:22 PM by ChrisB »

Ludo

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2024, 06:29:54 PM »
Thanks all for your feedback, I’ll look for recommended stuff on marketplace locally.