Author Topic: New Dangerholm inspired Scott Scale GR RC - Chinertown build?  (Read 3231 times)

Kommandant33

Last year, Dangerholm showed off his "Super Gravel" Scott Scale RC build - a gorgeous Porsche Forest Green with matte gold accessorized fully rigid flat bar gravel bike.

This year, Scott have announced that they are making their own version of the bike - the Scott Scale GR.

Now that I have completed my first Chinese Carbon build for my daughter, I think it is my turn - and the above builds have inspired me.

I currently ride a Marin DSX 2 flat bar gravel bike. It has served me VERY well. It has handled everything I ave thrown at it from short rides with the family around the neighbourhood, to long distanced rides to mountain biking tracks in the hills and back home to the 'burbs. In ~3500km all that's been needed is the rear wheel to be rebuilt with a stronger rim (which is expected with how hard I ride it) and a few sets of tires.

What I like about it:
  • 42 Tooth Chainring/10-51 Cassette
  • versatility
  • Easy to work on

What I don't like about it:
  • It's a bit heavy
  • XL frame size slightly too small for me
  • Not too exciting to look at

About me: I am a bigger rider being 196cm tall and ~110kg. I ride and XL frame, and even then I find the DSX 2 a bit small for me. I ride my bike just about every day, and love learning new skills/how to do things myself.

My plan: My wife, daughter and I all ride bikes. My daughter's bike build I have covered on the forum - I will build a similar one for my wife soon, and I have a gravel bike and a dual suspension bike. Now that my daughter is on her 29er, I want all 3 of us to have 29ers with 10-51 12speed so all our wheels can be interchangeable.

Komm's Super Gravel bike build
(please chime in with any suggestions)
Fully rigid carbon boost frame and fork Super Gravel bike.

Frame:
FM1306
Pro: Great geometry. Available in XL size. Have dealt with Wing at Carbonda with great success.
Con: Expensive (from Carbonda), Max chainring size 36T

Spcycle T1000

Pro: Very similar to the Scott Scale frame
Con: Only available in S, M, L (I will check the geo chart and compare the L to other XL frames)

Fork
Carbonda CFO 496 - Rigid boost carbon fork

Wheels
Elite Wheels SLR-MTB 29er

Tires
Vittoria Terreno XC Race

Drivetrain
I will stick with a Shimano 12 speed 10-51. Cranks/chainring will be decided when we know the limitations of the frame, but by the looks of things I won't be able to stick with a 42t chainring on a boost hardtail bike.

Brakes
I would love to try out some Lewisbike brakes, but they are so expensive when I can get light weight Shimano XT brakes for less!

Cockpit
TBA - would love some guidance

Seatpost/Saddle
TBA - I would probably go for a dropper post.

Any advice from the esteemed Chinertown crew would be great to help build a strong but light Super Gravel bike!

Komm

Ludo

Re: New Dangerholm inspired Scott Scale GR RC - Chinertown build?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2024, 06:30:15 AM »
I have the Scott, I think it will be definitely too small for you; mine is L and I am 183cm, it fits me.

Chainring is definitely limited for this bike.

Tijoe

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2024, 02:52:30 PM »
I've been very happy with this Spcycle frame I purchased about 3 years ago.  I believe it is lighter than the Spcycle version you posted.

https://www.sp-cycle.com/2022-new-hardtail-single-speed-crank-29er-mountain-bike-frame-bsa-148mm-boost-29-full-carbon-mtb-bicycle-frame-p3650491.html

Arno Knell

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2024, 02:05:28 PM »
My last " Monstergravel"
SP-M05
7,8 kg in size "L"
« Last Edit: August 13, 2024, 02:08:18 PM by Arno Knell »

RDY

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2024, 05:49:49 PM »
What's the max chainring on the M05.  Any chance of 40-44T?  Or their 36T claim is accurate?

lukwy

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2024, 02:33:14 AM »
I don't have the M05 frame, but as far as I remember some builds the biggest was 38T with boost chainline (52mm).
Maybe someone who ride it can tell. The Airwolf YFM-026 is hard to beat with 42-44T, but the HA is 69.5
FS: Carbonda FM936, XT/SLX 1x12, 2.4
Gravel: TanTan GR045, GRX820/105 2x12, 700x35c

MTB-Addicted

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2024, 05:02:37 AM »
My last " Monstergravel"
SP-M05
7,8 kg in size "L"

Great build, very similar to my dream bike:
Black layout, no logo, oval chainring, Continental tyres.. top!

Where did you buy the rigid fork ?
Thanks.

RDY

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2024, 08:08:59 AM »
I don't have the M05 frame, but as far as I remember some builds the biggest was 38T with boost chainline (52mm).
Maybe someone who ride it can tell. The Airwolf YFM-026 is hard to beat with 42-44T, but the HA is 69.5

Yeah I've looked at it.  Ideally HTA would be a bit slacker, but it's not a disaster as I'd use it as a drop bar gravel bike.  Slack STA is more of a pain ... though again that can be remedied with a Fair Bicycle adapter.  Also 10mm less BB drop than most similar frames is definitely not a positive for most use cases for this frame - bike touring excepted.

But I really wish someone would make one of the modern 67-68 HTA and 76 STA hardtails with capacity for a 44 or 46T and 100mm fork, super deep profile head tube, and IS52/IS52.  It wouldn't be particularly difficult to do, with some shaping of the DS chainstay.  There are so many scale clones or inspired frames, but none with bigger clearance.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2024, 11:13:05 AM by RDY »

Arno Knell

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2024, 09:21:24 AM »
Great build, very similar to my dream bike:
Black layout, no logo, oval chainring, Continental tyres.. top!

Where did you buy the rigid fork ?
Thanks.

Thank's
I ordered the fork (SP-MF01) at the Spycycle Official Store.

Vipassana

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2024, 08:26:32 PM »
This is exactly the build I'm hoping to do. But I was hoping to find a frame with headset routing. I know everyone hates it, but the clean look is my preference. I've had it now for 18 months on my Scott Spark and it's been no trouble at all.

Ludo

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2024, 10:44:07 PM »
The sp cycle copy of the scale is headsets routing

RDY

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2024, 06:07:57 AM »
The sp cycle copy of the scale is headsets routing

But unfortunately sweet FA re: chainring clearance.

Ludo

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2024, 06:18:43 AM »
I just received my 0 offset chainring, should fit it this weekend so I’ll get better idea on frame chainstay clearance

Ludo

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2024, 05:37:30 PM »
So I fitted new chainring wit 0mm offset, it definitely moved away from the frame and chain still stay on (previous 0mm was dropping the chain non stop). I for sure can support more than the 32 I am running, 40, I wouldn’t bet on it. If someone has a 40 and wants to try before buying the frame, send it to me for test fitting ;)

RDY

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2024, 12:59:45 PM »
So I fitted new chainring wit 0mm offset, it definitely moved away from the frame and chain still stay on (previous 0mm was dropping the chain non stop). I for sure can support more than the 32 I am running, 40, I wouldn’t bet on it. If someone has a 40 and wants to try before buying the frame, send it to me for test fitting ;)

So 34 oval or 36 round, maybe.