Author Topic: 2022 - Rotor recommendations?  (Read 11699 times)

Bigbobby1482

Re: 2022 - Rotor recommendations?
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2024, 03:59:18 AM »
Just adding in, I have the ONIRII CD-02 lightweight rotors in center lock 160m.
They were 101 grams without the lockring.
I really don't have much confidence in these rotors, they sound really odd under heavy breaking due to the massive holes in the pad contact surface. They do break fine, and pad wear doesn't seem to be affected, but it just doesn't sound right.
 I don't live anywhere hilly, but not gonna risk it. Have been riding them for about 500km

I'm probably going to swap them for a shimano or galfer, something with more contact area.

Photo for proff: https://imgur.com/a/VssZTDA

jonathanf2

« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2024, 10:53:18 AM »
Just adding in, I have the ONIRII CD-02 lightweight rotors in center lock 160m.
They were 101 grams without the lockring.
I really don't have much confidence in these rotors, they sound really odd under heavy breaking due to the massive holes in the pad contact surface. They do break fine, and pad wear doesn't seem to be affected, but it just doesn't sound right.
 I don't live anywhere hilly, but not gonna risk it. Have been riding them for about 500km

I'm probably going to swap them for a shimano or galfer, something with more contact area.

Photo for proff: https://imgur.com/a/VssZTDA

I'm using the same rotors on one of my bikes and majority of my rides are climbs and descents. So far they've held up, though I weight under 70kg. I noticed the Panda Podium sponsored racing team is using them on their bikes as well.

dsveddy

« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2024, 09:03:07 AM »
I'm using the same rotors on one of my bikes and majority of my rides are climbs and descents. So far they've held up, though I weight under 70kg. I noticed the Panda Podium sponsored racing team is using them on their bikes as well.

Curious about how many miles/km you’ve got on them?

My biggest reservation with the loosening rivets is heat—I imagine that as the steel discs expand they push the rivet around. Of course all floating rotors do this, but my sense is that these rotors handle it poorly and permanently deform the rivet in the process. So I find it surprising that you are subjecting them to a lot of heat on these rides, and you still aren’t getting the same issue

jonathanf2

« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2024, 09:27:45 AM »
Curious about how many miles/km you’ve got on them?

My biggest reservation with the loosening rivets is heat—I imagine that as the steel discs expand they push the rivet around. Of course all floating rotors do this, but my sense is that these rotors handle it poorly and permanently deform the rivet in the process. So I find it surprising that you are subjecting them to a lot of heat on these rides, and you still aren’t getting the same issue

I rotate my road bikes every other ride. Also I tend to either late brake on descents to minimize the time I need to brake, feather the braking on curves (like an ABS system on a car) and use my body to create wind resistance to slow down. Plus I try not to get that grinding noise when braking which reminds me my rotors are heating up. So I tend to switch back-n-forth from rear to front to modulate the braking force. My gravel bike tends to get more braking on the trail, but I'm not an XC downhill racer so I'll ride at a slower pace.