Chinese Carbon Road Bikes > Cyclocross Frames, Wheels & Components

Wide road / Cyclocross rims

<< < (3/4) > >>

WorkingHPRs:
Going with either:

http://www.nextie-bike.com/mtb/carbon-fiber-29er-wheels-clincher-hookless/carbon-fiber-29er-hookless-mtb-rim-27mm-width-clincher-tubeless-ready

27/22 @ 360g +/-10g

or

http://xmiplay.com/ProductDetails1686

27/22 @ 365g +/- 15g

Think they are identical from the cross section diagram.

If no one can get them to me quick enough, then I will probably go with either the

HED Belgium plus one 25/20 @ 469g

or the Pacenti SL25 24.5/20 @ 450g

Thanks for everyone's input much appreciated.

cmh:

--- Quote from: Joelk on February 25, 2015, 08:53:51 PM ---I think it all comes down to the surface.  I have found that my fat bike (4.8" tires) rolls easier than my 29er with 2.4" tires over areas with lots of wrist to forearm sized roots, or fist sized to baby head sized rocks.

--- End quote ---

What tires are you running? I've got Vee Snowshoe 4.5s and they roll like the brakes are dragging. Last week we rode Wharton State Forest (not too far from you, most likely) and I took the fat bike and it felt like I was going uphill the whole way. Rode the 29er with 2.2s today and it felt much better. Hard to compare times since this was a group ride so more stops.

Joelk:
I have a Surly Bud in the front, and put quite a few miles on a Surly Lou in the rear.  For about the last two months I have been using a Vee Snowshoe XL in the rear.  All on Nextie 90mm rims.  The Snowshoe XL rolls better than the Bud, but the Bud has more traction and handles better.

Did you ride Wharton with Jim and his fatbike group last weekend?  I ride with them most weekends that I am in town.

cmh:

--- Quote from: Joelk on March 22, 2015, 04:13:51 PM ---I have a Surly Bud in the front, and put quite a few miles on a Surly Lou in the rear.  For about the last two months I have been using a Vee Snowshoe XL in the rear.  All on Nextie 90mm rims.  The Snowshoe XL rolls better than the Bud, but the Bud has more traction and handles better.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, seems like the Bud and Lou combo is the popular one, although the concept of a Snowshoe rolling _better_ than them terrifies me, unless the wider XL rolls even better than my 4.5s. Hard to imagine a tire rolling even slower than these. :)

--- Quote ---Did you ride Wharton with Jim and his fatbike group last weekend?  I ride with them most weekends that I am in town.

--- End quote ---

Nope, have seen fatties out there but usually riding with my wife on her "skinny" bike. Only time I've ridden with fat bikes was at the beginning of the season on a snow ride - which was why I decided to try it out, I was on my FS 29er at the time.

Joelk:

--- Quote from: cmh on March 23, 2015, 05:46:58 AM ---Nope, have seen fatties out there but usually riding with my wife on her "skinny" bike. Only time I've ridden with fat bikes was at the beginning of the season on a snow ride - which was why I decided to try it out, I was on my FS 29er at the time.

--- End quote ---

Next time you are in the pines try riding the enduro dirt bike trails or fire cuts where the ground/sand is soft.  That is where the fat bike starts to shine, when you ride where it is too soft for a regular bike to work well

Another place that I was surprised that I liked the fat bike was Wissahickon.  I really enjoyed the rocky downhills.  That should be relatively local for you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version