Chinese Carbon Road Bikes > Cyclocross Frames, Wheels & Components

Wide road / Cyclocross rims

<< < (2/4) > >>

Carbon_Dude:
I would lean toward no more than 25mm wide rims for Cyclecross.  If you get wider than that I would think you would be increasing rolling resistance without much other benefit.

WorkingHPRs:
Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.

http://www.mtbonline.co.za/downloads/Rolling_Resistance_Eng_illustrated.pdf

Seems to suggest wider and lower pressure are the way to go? I wonder if someone has done similar in mud?

cmh:

--- Quote from: WorkingHPRs on February 24, 2015, 02:23:53 PM ---Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.

Seems to suggest wider and lower pressure are the way to go? I wonder if someone has done similar in mud?

--- End quote ---

If that were true, my fat bike running 3 psi would just about ride itself.  Guess what?  ;D

To be fair, I do run lower pressure on my road bike, sometimes as low as 80psi with 23mm tubeless tires, lower when I'm running the 28s, and it does feel nice, and doesn't feel slow, but it's still going to be a balancing act. Run what you want (except when rules dictate otherwise) and it's really not going to be a huge difference.

WorkingHPRs:

--- Quote from: cmh on February 25, 2015, 09:43:02 AM ---it's still going to be a balancing act.

--- End quote ---

;)

Joelk:

--- Quote from: cmh on February 25, 2015, 09:43:02 AM ---
--- Quote from: WorkingHPRs on February 24, 2015, 02:23:53 PM ---Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.

--- End quote ---

If that were true, my fat bike running 3 psi would just about ride itself.  Guess what?  ;D

To be fair, I do run lower pressure on my road bike, sometimes as low as 80psi with 23mm tubeless tires, lower when I'm running the 28s, and it does feel nice, and doesn't feel slow, but it's still going to be a balancing act. Run what you want (except when rules dictate otherwise) and it's really not going to be a huge difference.

--- End quote ---
I think it all comes down to the surface.  I have found that my fat bike (4.8" tires) rolls easier than my 29er with 2.4" tires over areas with lots of wrist to forearm sized roots, or fist sized to baby head sized rocks.

I ride two rooty trails, one of which is very rooty where the fat bike is actually faster, and one that is relatively rooty where the times are the same on both bikes.  Of course the 29er is faster just about everywhere else.

I also live close to the Delaware river and I ride the sandy/rocky shoreline at low tide.  On the soft sand only the fat bike works, on the firm sand the 29er can move, but the fat bike is still faster.  Gravel sized rocks both bikes go about the same.  Fist sized the fat bike is faster/smoother.  When you start getting into baby head and bigger rocks I have trouble even riding the 29er while the fat bike keeps going until it gets really big/jagged when I do not have the trials skills to continue.

Thus, I would say look at where you want to ride.  The rougher the wider rim/tire I would run, on the other hand if it is smooth I would choose a more moderate rim/tire width.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version