Author Topic: Chiner derailleur hanger  (Read 3456 times)

ecaos

Chiner derailleur hanger
« on: February 08, 2015, 10:16:55 AM »
Hi there,
I would like to know if anyone is having the same problem and if you have any suggestions to fix this issue.
I've been very happy with my frame, no problems at all with it but it's the derailleur hanger that is literally driving me crazy. My frame is a flyii 26" FR-207 (I'm attaching a picture of the hanger). First of all I think the aluminum on the chiner hanger is too soft, it bends very easily that even when just moving the bike around if the derailleur touches anything or just by leaning on it the hanger bends so it's never straight and I'm always having problems getting the derailleur to be aligned or shift right. I already used a 58 wheels manufacturing hanger, it is a little stiffer but same, it's already bent a little. I imagine if having the hanger attached to the outside of the frame would give it a little more support, there are actually frames that use basically the same hanger on the opposite side but it's like a mirror of mine. Any way, have you had this same problem?

outriding9800

Re: Chiner derailleur hanger
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 01:08:26 PM »
I had the same issue with my airborne..

The wheelsmfg were of similar hardness as a brand name bike..

Remember it has to bend before the frame does.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 03:44:38 PM »
Personally, I have never had a problem with my hanger bending too easily on any bikes I've owned.  They only bend on me if they take a hit.

I wonder if you could put your hanger through a hardening process, heat it up to a particular temp, then quench it in a bucket of water.  Here is some info:  http://www.thefabricator.com/article/aluminumwelding/achieving-t6-designation-for-6061
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

ecaos

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 11:42:29 AM »
Thanks for your responses, I now it has to bend but it seems that it bends by just even looking at it (a little of sarcasm here).
Heat treating it might help, I’ll give it a try with a bent one first.

ecaos

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 02:57:52 PM »
Hi there, to follow this topic up, I just bought a hanger from this guy at ebay that makes several CNC hangers. I had bought one from him in the past for another bike and I really liked the quality of his products. I found that he makes hanger 96 which is a mirror of 58 (the one I use), so asked him if he could work a 58 out and he did with no extra cost, quality is the same as before, it fit my frame perfectly and definitely looks more solid than the original and even the wheels manufacturing one. Oh! and they're cheaper.
So I thought of sharing my positive ebay experience in case you need a hanger, you might want to take a look at these ones:

http://stores.ebay.com/925engineeringderailleurhangers?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 03:57:00 PM »
Maybe they should make some replacement hangers for Chiner frames.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

ecaos

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 04:49:04 PM »
Yeah, get in contact with him, he was very easy to work with. If he is directed to this forum and sees what your needs are and that it's profitable for him, he might be interested.

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 07:44:46 AM »
I had the same problem. Way too soft and would not keep alignment for even one ride. I got a replacement (same cheap quality) and it happened all over again. Try this website. I found a hanger that was an exact match except it's made out of a better quality aluminum and it's machined not molded.

derailleurhanger.com

ecaos

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 11:44:40 PM »
Thanks 7, I also bought one from them to carry as a spare. Both look of very good quality, the ebay one even looks a little bit more solid.
I already had a derailleurhanger one that took a big hit and bent, it broke when I tried to make it straight. It did it's job though. I didn't have it long enough to see how better it stayed without bending with normal use.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 10:36:43 AM by ecaos »

cmh

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 05:38:58 AM »
Hi there, to follow this topic up, I just bought a hanger from this guy at ebay that makes several CNC hangers. I had bought one from him in the past for another bike and I really liked the quality of his products. I found that he makes hanger 96 which is a mirror of 58 (the one I use), so asked him if he could work a 58 out and he did with no extra cost, quality is the same as before, it fit my frame perfectly and definitely looks more solid than the original and even the wheels manufacturing one. Oh! and they're cheaper.
So I thought of sharing my positive ebay experience in case you need a hanger, you might want to take a look at these ones:

http://stores.ebay.com/925engineeringderailleurhangers?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Cool share, thank you! I'm curious if he'll make a direct-mount (Shimano Shadow) version for bikes which only have conventional derailleur mounts. Might have to get in touch and see.