Author Topic: Best TPU tube brand  (Read 6210 times)

BeR

Re: Best TPU tube brand
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2024, 06:22:14 AM »
Do you know which one of the Offbondage is the last model ? (Yellow valve or black/metallic valve)

I hesitate between Offbondage or Ridenow like everybody I think :D.

RoadieMKD

« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2024, 06:46:38 AM »
Do you know which one of the Offbondage is the last model ? (Yellow valve or black/metallic valve)

I hesitate between Offbondage or Ridenow like everybody I think :D.

The black/metallic valve came in at a later date and they advertise it as upgraded weight even though it is heavier. If you mind gold, go with black. That is the main difference between them. Have not tried Ride now, but a friend had them with plastic/transparent valves and they both leaked at the valve, so basically the same experience as I had with Thinkrider, only more expensive. On the other hand, I have 5000km on a single set of Offbondage TPU tubes, and not to jinx myself, no issues so far. Just a regular top up with air on every other ride.

beemerchie

« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2024, 12:50:14 PM »
using cyclami here... so far runs almost 2k with ultrasport tire in my old bike... still riding fine...

Wet Noodle

« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2024, 05:19:42 AM »
I have used a few RideNow tubes of the older kind with black plastic valve stem and they were hassle-free until they weren't. Valves fine, valve stems fine, just the tubes themselves might eventually develop micro holes that you can't really fix (too small to find and they usually come by the  dozen).

I am still riding them and I would probably buy more.

amacal1

« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2024, 09:32:40 AM »
I've only gone to using TPU recently and I've had some flats that forced me to change tubes a few times. It was all entirely road damage and not the tube's fault in every case. I'm now on my 3rd or 4th RideNow tube and every one has been great. I'm only going to be buying RideNow from now on, considering the issues I had with leaking valves on some other TPU brands I tried a while back. I've now used both the RideNOW 36g tubes and the RideNOW 24g tubes and each worked fine. I realized a little too late that I should probably try repairing my tubes rather than just throwing them away, so I'll probably try that for future flats.

Serge_K

« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2024, 10:36:03 AM »
Afaik, TPU is TPU (Thermoplastic polyurethane). I pick my TPU tubes based on whatever's cheaper on AliX. I have a friend who says he's got a slow leak on his. I've punctured 3 & broken at least one. A friend broke 2 trying to fix one puncture.
I presume that if you spend 35 eur on a tubolito, you wont have slow leaks, even though they can't test them because once you've inflated a TPU tube, you can't fold it nearly.
But if you get them for c.4 eur, then if sometimes you get a dud, put a new one. I've setup probably 12 to 15 wheels w these tubes, and more often than not, whatever TPU goes in works just fine.
Critical though: be careful during installation. They are easy to twist / pinch / break (at the valve).
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.

jonathanf2

« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2024, 11:02:32 AM »
I recently bought a pair of Meroca TPU tubes just because it was enough to trigger the coupon deal I was trying to get from the same store. Surprisingly they've been holding air quite well with slightly less daily air loss.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256807147121474.html

amacal1

« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2024, 12:45:23 PM »
Afaik, TPU is TPU (Thermoplastic polyurethane). I pick my TPU tubes based on whatever's cheaper on AliX. I have a friend who says he's got a slow leak on his. I've punctured 3 & broken at least one. A friend broke 2 trying to fix one puncture.
I presume that if you spend 35 eur on a tubolito, you wont have slow leaks, even though they can't test them because once you've inflated a TPU tube, you can't fold it nearly.
But if you get them for c.4 eur, then if sometimes you get a dud, put a new one. I've setup probably 12 to 15 wheels w these tubes, and more often than not, whatever TPU goes in works just fine.
Critical though: be careful during installation. They are easy to twist / pinch / break (at the valve).

TPU is TPU, but how the seams are made, how the valve is reinforced at the seam, and what the valve joint is made of seems to vary quite a bit between all the brands. It's worthwhile to spend time discussing which brands are fabricating them better at scale.

Serge_K

« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2024, 03:10:03 PM »
TPU is TPU, but how the seams are made, how the valve is reinforced at the seam, and what the valve joint is made of seems to vary quite a bit between all the brands. It's worthwhile to spend time discussing which brands are fabricating them better at scale.

I dont disagree per se, but we can also spend time what a "brand" means in a chinese context, especially via aliexpress. There's zero guarantee / assurance that what's called TPU from brand X at T0 will be the same item / quality / spec next time you order.
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.

amacal1

« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2024, 04:44:25 PM »
I dont disagree per se, but we can also spend time what a "brand" means in a chinese context, especially via aliexpress. There's zero guarantee / assurance that what's called TPU from brand X at T0 will be the same item / quality / spec next time you order.

I thought that was the entire point of this site, right? That might be true for some brands, and less true for others. By each sharing our experience with the brands, something valuable may be learned. I was pointed towards the RideNow tubes by hearing such stories, and I get the impression they are just a slight cut above some of the others based on my own experience.

OralMaster

« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2024, 08:33:15 PM »
I am trying out a new brand called OVTK for both my gravel and road, i think its sold on aliexpress but im getting them from taobao. they made a video on why TPU shouldn't be so thin and most TPU brands do not control the circumference of the tube. The bonding of the valve to the tube plays a huge part as well.

after trying out the 19g Ridenow and having them not last more than 2 rides, i am convinced to run slightly thicker TPU tubes

【教授单车OVTK山地公路自行车折叠车TPU超轻内胎安装详解教程-如何避免爆胎、漏气。】 https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1z14y1d7Vb/?share_source=copy_web&vd_source=e267faed3a20f56e8561577c077b5fe6

Sebastian

« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2024, 11:45:24 PM »
Yeah. I prefer the 36g Ridenow tubes for this reason. They’re still durable enough to quickly change them on the side of the road without fear of damaging them. And they’re light and supple enough for me. And you can still take three of those with you for the weight of one butyl tube.  The 18g versions are pushing it too much I fear.

coffeebreak

« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2024, 09:47:26 AM »
The 18g ones are impossible to patch up too. The thicker, heavier ones are better in that the patches adhere well and don't leak air. My experience anyway. I have thrown away a bunch of 18-24g tubes after one tiniest of leaks.

kubackje

« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2024, 10:53:37 AM »
I also use 36h RideNow version and they are doing good. As for patching the RideNow patches are absolute trash, therefore I buy cyclami patches and they hold really well. Heard good things about park tool patches also.