Chinese Carbon Road Bikes > Road Bike Frames, Wheels & Components

ICAN Flyee Frameset

<< < (8/10) > >>

Blueberry:
I was able to re-tap the threads and that seems to have fixed one issue, the thru axle threads are stripped and I need a new one though (ICAN said they would send one). The tap was doing a lot of work, definitely took more cutting fluid than I expected to get through... It was pretty rough in there. And that tap cost $43. If I didn't have access to the machine shop at my work and have all these these tools on hand I would definitely be less inclined to buy relatively untested framesets.

The original thru axle won't thread in but I tried one from a different bike and that one threads in fine now.

PLA:

--- Quote from: Blueberry on September 06, 2024, 03:22:22 PM ---I was able to re-tap the threads and that seems to have fixed one issue, the thru axle threads are stripped and I need a new one though (ICAN said they would send one). The tap was doing a lot of work, definitely took more cutting fluid than I expected to get through... It was pretty rough in there. And that tap cost $43. If I didn't have access to the machine shop at my work and have all these these tools on hand I would definitely be less inclined to buy relatively untested framesets.

The original thru axle won't thread in but I tried one from a different bike and that one threads in fine now.

--- End quote ---

my experience with the thru axles that come with chinese frames is a bit meh, especially when used with dt hubs that usually require more torque than the axles can spec. i always end up just using dt thru axles. they're cheap and good.

erallen30:

--- Quote from: Blueberry on September 06, 2024, 03:22:22 PM ---I was able to re-tap the threads and that seems to have fixed one issue, the thru axle threads are stripped and I need a new one though (ICAN said they would send one). The tap was doing a lot of work, definitely took more cutting fluid than I expected to get through... It was pretty rough in there. And that tap cost $43. If I didn't have access to the machine shop at my work and have all these these tools on hand I would definitely be less inclined to buy relatively untested framesets.

--- End quote ---

Glad you were able to get it sorted on your own. Hopefully ICAN can resolve that issue in future production. Will be nice to learn how it rides and if any other problems arise while riding.

patliean1:

--- Quote from: PLA on September 06, 2024, 04:00:05 PM ---especially when used with dt hubs that usually require more torque than the axles can spec. i always end up just using dt thru axles.

--- End quote ---

This is interesting. I've notice a few of my Chinese wheels using the 1st-Gen DT Swiss style design have a tiny bit of play. Specifically on my Giant Propel. This initially start happening on my first set of Magene wheels, so I assumed the issue was isolated. Figured maybe the end caps were sloppy. But it does the same on the second pair. Third time on a set of wheels from a different brand using the same hubs.

Giant recommends 11nm for their thru axles. Any more than that would make it tough to change a puncture on the side of the road. Perhaps the issue all along are the thru axles. Thanks.

PLA:

--- Quote from: patliean1 on September 08, 2024, 09:54:56 AM ---This is interesting. I've notice a few of my Chinese wheels using the 1st-Gen DT Swiss style design have a tiny bit of play. Specifically on my Giant Propel. This initially start happening on my first set of Magene wheels, so I assumed the issue was isolated. Figured maybe the end caps were sloppy. But it does the same on the second pair. Third time on a set of wheels from a different brand using the same hubs.

Giant recommends 11nm for their thru axles. Any more than that would make it tough to change a puncture on the side of the road. Perhaps the issue all along are the thru axles. Thanks.

--- End quote ---

I have the peak power of a gorilla and ftp of a newborn baby, so the first thing I get is brake rub if the axles aren't done tight enough. Most of the Chinese frames I've had come with those crappy 10Nm axles and I get the play like you mentioned and brake rub. DT recommend 15-20Nm. I do them at 15Nm and that is fine with no issues. No idea how anyone could possibly undo them with the pissy little handles they supply, probably need to stand on them. I actually carry around a regular length 6mm Wera hex key in my saddle bag for roadside.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version