Other Resources > Maintenance, Mechanics, & Tools

Crankset clicking - Evosid - where to start?

<< < (2/3) > >>

lantz:

--- Quote from: jonathanf2 on August 15, 2024, 01:22:42 PM ---Is your chainring bolts torqued to 8nm? I'm guessing the EVOSID is a 3 bolt style crankset. Also try rocking the crankset back-n-forth in the BB to see if there's any minor play. Even if you think the crank is secure, it might not be fully locked in. If that doesn't work, I'd try another crankset (preferably with a steel axle) to see if it still creaks. If it does even after swapping out, it could be the BB not being secure or needing extra grease.

--- End quote ---

All excellent points.

- I fully torqued the chainring on install and double checked when I pulled it all apart.
- As far as I can tell, no play in the crank within the BB - I use a wavey spacer on the drivetrain side and 3 spacers and the preload ring and it is tightened down with as much care and intention as I've ever installed a crankset, lol.
- I thought the bb may not have been fully set in the body as well, so I went in on it. I've got antiseize compound on the threads, but it is... in there... pretty appropriately snug.
- I'll have to swap another crankset in to test, currently flying to Denver for some riding in Steamboat, I'll be annoyed by it the whole time, I'm sure.

Could very well be that my big ass is just too much as well, that's a fair critique hehe.

bussoff:
also having this problem. evosid crankset too. switched pedals, still there. switched bb, still there. checked wheelset too if there were any ratchet issue, still creaking. finally replaced with a good old square tapered crankset from the parts bin. And now the noise is gone. i believe its the crank itself. although i have to admit mine is a little (not little) dirty so i'll try to clean it first and see if anything changes.

i know cleaning should have been the first step but here we are.  ;D

lantz:

--- Quote from: bussoff on September 01, 2024, 11:13:06 PM ---also having this problem. evosid crankset too. switched pedals, still there. switched bb, still there. checked wheelset too if there were any ratchet issue, still creaking. finally replaced with a good old square tapered crankset from the parts bin. And now the noise is gone. i believe its the crank itself. although i have to admit mine is a little (not little) dirty so i'll try to clean it first and see if anything changes.

i know cleaning should have been the first step but here we are.  ;D

--- End quote ---

I resolved this, twice, it's entirely about torquring the crankarms. I had to crank them down to a point of feeling like I over-torqued them. Since they call for 54nm (I think) torque, that's something that I can't measure with my tools, so just had to put some power into tightening it down.

Jet the Panda:
I had a clicking drive train for 1 ride and figured out it was because I hadn't routed my chain through my derailleur properly

pushpush:
Although a totally different crankset, I've experienced this exact problem. Your description is spot on.

In my case, it wound up being the preload ring. Simply backing it off, resetting the tension, and cranking the screw tight resolved the problem for me. I never really figured out why this was a problem, but I was super happy to figure it out. That sound was making me insane.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version