Author Topic: Travel 120mm Carbon Hardtail Frame  (Read 1085 times)

spcycle

Travel 120mm Carbon Hardtail Frame
« on: August 24, 2024, 01:44:08 AM »
Dear All:

Have a nice day.

Spcycle plans to develop molds for travel 120mm hardtail frame. The frame will be manufactured using EPS latex technology.

The following are the design requirements

1, Head Tube: 1-1/2" (52mm) above and below
2, Bottom Bracket: Threaded BSA 73 (BC1.37*24T)
3, Seatpost Diameter: 31.6mm
4, Rear derailleur hanger: UDH
5, Cable: Compatible with full integrated and semi-internal cables
6, Brake: Post mount disc brake, maximum 180mm rotor.
7, Max Tire Clearance: 29er*2.4''
8, Chainline: 55mm
8, Max Chainring: 40T
9, Dropout: 148x12mm Boost

For geometry. Looking forward to all friends to provide suggestions.

Many thanks.

Spcycle

RDY

Re: Travel 120mm Carbon Hardtail Frame
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2024, 05:39:48 AM »
There are so many hardtails suitable for hardtail use.   The market is already completely saturated.  As you might see from the many posts and threads here, what people are really interested in now, and the growth market, is hardtails suitable for use as drop bar gravel bikes.

So I'd scratch the 120mm and do 100mm.

Legit 44-46T 1x clearance without an offset chainline.  Option of running an FD with up to 50-34.  If this can be achieved with 142x12 spacing, so much the better, as it increases crank and gearing options significantly.

Top tube on the slightly shorter side, to allow for additional reach from drop bars.  Maybe 15-20mm more stack than usual, as often these bikes are used for very long races or rides.

BB offset larger than usual for hardtails, given the use case.  ~70mm.

Steep seat angle to keep effective reach down for longer legged riders. 76deg.  Head angle around 68-68.5 degrees. 

Maybe consider a kinked downtube to allow more space for bottles and frame bags.  Aero shaping.  Down tube storage.

Top tube mount points.

Square_Cookies

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2024, 11:46:50 AM »
Another underserved market that could be interesting is the light trail hardtail market (120-130mm travel). A lot of the big bike brands have gone all in on full suspension downcountry bikes, so there are very few of these carbon bikes that actually have a “modern” geometry (e.g. hta~66.5, sta >75).

Off the top of my head, I can only think of two carbon light trail hardtails:

Yeti Arc
Ibis DV9

The caveat to this is that these bikes need to have wider tires (29x2.6) which compromises the max size of the chainring.

spcycle

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2024, 09:20:40 PM »
Another underserved market that could be interesting is the light trail hardtail market (120-130mm travel). A lot of the big bike brands have gone all in on full suspension downcountry bikes, so there are very few of these carbon bikes that actually have a “modern” geometry (e.g. hta~66.5, sta >75).

Off the top of my head, I can only think of two carbon light trail hardtails:

Yeti Arc
Ibis DV9

The caveat to this is that these bikes need to have wider tires (29x2.6) which compromises the max size of the chainring.

Head tube angle 66.5°
Seat tube angle 75~76°
This is the same idea as ours.
We are considering which is more important, larger tire clearance or larger chain ring. If the tire clearance is increased to 2.6'', the largest chain ring may only be 34T (chainline 55mm crank)

BruceJR

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2024, 10:31:11 PM »
Not too many people run 2.6 on a hardtail anymore.

poloskatek

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2024, 01:31:06 AM »
créer un cadre qui résiste à l'usage pour lequel il est vendu et fournir une assistance client sous garantie comme l'exige la loi serait déjà un bon début

mermlundry

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2024, 11:53:49 PM »
What is the timeline on this? This is similar to what I am looking for.