Author Topic: Spcycle New Mold G056 Carbon Gravel Frame  (Read 32109 times)

lantz

Re: Spcycle New Mold G056 Carbon Gravel Frame
« Reply #120 on: July 18, 2024, 10:20:21 PM »
Oi did anyone use the provided external shell BB from the Ceccotti providers? Setting up 1x and the spacers they provided are.. strange? They're smaller diamter than other spacers I've used that go on the outside - perhaps I'm naive, but what's the play here to get the right chainline for 1x on this crazy wide bottom bracket shell?

lantz

« Reply #121 on: August 06, 2024, 03:36:58 PM »
First rideable version of the build.

- The bars I bought arrived *very* late and were completely smashed, so I couldn't use them. Fortunately I had a pair of Deda DCR bars from a road build that allowed me to use the internally routed stem that I bought from Fire Spider. Gonna fucking suck to disconnect the hoses and remount the brifters when the replacement bars show up, but I gotta have that flare, baby.
- Awaiting a set of pedals, using my Candy 1s for now.
- Awaiting Specialized Mirror clone saddle from Ali that's delayed, using Brooks Cambium c16 for now.

Impressions? Pretty fucking sick, honestly. It rides like butter, is faster and more responsive on pavement than I expected. Doing a longer gravel ride on Saturday ahead of a weekend in Stemboat Springs next weekend so I'll have more hard-nosed feedback to give then.

Some notes:
-- Positive
- LTWOO gRX is pretty tight, exactly what I expected after using the eRX on my road bike.
- The Pirelli Cinturato Gravel RC have an excellent tread for combo riding, really impressed.
- These Kactus rotors are amazing - never had a rotor and caliper combo feel so good, so fast.
- Knockoff RedShift grips are fun, will be really nice on flared bars.

-- To be seen:
- As I've posted in other threads, I had to file down a nylon c-ring to get the spacers to set correctly on the frame, which i'm not super stoked about. I've got an order that should be here shortlyf or a better spacer set that should set on top of one of the aluminum c-rings that I have, but god damnit, I already installed the brake lines, so there's a calculus to be made there about how the existing spacer set up is performing/whether it's worth the effort to essentially full-bleed the brakes (if ya'll have suggestions for un-routing hoses easily, I'll fucking take em.)
- Was able to get to what I think is the best chainline I'm gonna get - but the climbing gear is definitely clunky, just a suboptimal chainline, to be sure - anyone in here running a similar 1x? How did you use spacers to configure the chainline?
- Any recommendations on a plug for the FD port that I'm not using?
- Computer mounts? Having a hard time finding one that will work, since the stem didn't come equipped with under-mounted screws for an out-front mount and the bars are not round. I got a stem-bolt-mounted one but it still doesn't feel/look right. Maybe a cap mount?

jonathanf2

« Reply #122 on: August 07, 2024, 10:33:50 AM »
Bike looks good! I've been eyeballing this frame from a few AliEx vendors, but I can't really justify a new gravel frame just yet! Regarding your chain line, I'm guessing that's a 0 offset chainring? Maybe get a chainring with a 3mm offset to bring it slightly inboard. A cap computer mount should work, but I personally prefer my computer out front. Keeps things less cluttered!

lantz

« Reply #123 on: August 07, 2024, 12:03:40 PM »
Bike looks good! I've been eyeballing this frame from a few AliEx vendors, but I can't really justify a new gravel frame just yet! Regarding your chain line, I'm guessing that's a 0 offset chainring? Maybe get a chainring with a 3mm offset to bring it slightly inboard. A cap computer mount should work, but I personally prefer my computer out front. Keeps things less cluttered!

Thanks!

Yeah, I figured out a decent way to use the stem-mount out-front computer mount and it feels pretty good now tbh.

Re: chainline - haven't ever used offset chainrings, but it's a good option! Any gotchas to be aware of? I'm doing some climbing today where I expect to spin in the granny gears, so we'll see how it actually feels.

jonathanf2

« Reply #124 on: August 07, 2024, 12:15:41 PM »
Thanks!

Yeah, I figured out a decent way to use the stem-mount out-front computer mount and it feels pretty good now tbh.

Re: chainline - haven't ever used offset chainrings, but it's a good option! Any gotchas to be aware of? I'm doing some climbing today where I expect to spin in the granny gears, so we'll see how it actually feels.

The 3mm offset chainrings move the chain line closer to the hub. I guess in theory it's supposed to be better optimized for climbing gears. Though when I was running 1x, I didn't notice much difference. I was running a Pass Quest 1x aero chainring with 3mm offset and it was a bit noisy. I never tried a non-aero offset chainring before switching back to 2x.

lantz

« Reply #125 on: August 07, 2024, 02:38:40 PM »
The 3mm offset chainrings move the chain line closer to the hub. I guess in theory it's supposed to be better optimized for climbing gears. Though when I was running 1x, I didn't notice much difference. I was running a Pass Quest 1x aero chainring with 3mm offset and it was a bit noisy. I never tried a non-aero offset chainring before switching back to 2x.

Loud and clear. It certainly is noisy in the current config (I think I've got a 1mm wavy spacer on the drive-side and 3mm spacer to balance the crankset on the non-drive?)

It does seem to line up where folks expect it to (49mm I think is what I measured it) - I'll see how it feels this afternoon.

Ultramic

« Reply #126 on: August 10, 2024, 04:20:57 AM »
If you are uncomfortable with the filed down c-ring, ask the seller to send you only the c-ring that comes with the handlebar/frame package. It's metal and sits much lower - of course you need to reconnect and rebleed the brakes though.

swhelan

« Reply #127 on: August 23, 2024, 09:17:57 AM »
I’m debating on ordering the G058 frame which is the same as the G30 CWind I believe. After reading this forum I’m not sure which size to order. This will be my first gravel bike and I have sat on 54cm bikes and they seem to fit. Does this fram run larger? I’m 178cm tall.

« Reply #128 on: August 23, 2024, 10:26:36 AM »
I’m debating on ordering the G058 frame which is the same as the G30 CWind I believe. After reading this forum I’m not sure which size to order. This will be my first gravel bike and I have sat on 54cm bikes and they seem to fit. Does this fram run larger? I’m 178cm tall.

You can compare your frame here https://geometrygeeks.bike/

bliblablub

« Reply #129 on: August 26, 2024, 10:25:12 AM »
Has anyone ever tried any other headset then the one provided by Spcycle? I got the one from velobuild and that one sucks like hell... any headset for full integration would be great? Do you guys think a DEDA, FSA or Richtey headset would fit? Anyone tried?

Ludo

« Reply #130 on: August 26, 2024, 10:56:08 AM »
I went with Syncros Creston bar, I’ll see when I get everything how is the integration…

lantz

« Reply #131 on: August 26, 2024, 01:52:38 PM »
Has anyone ever tried any other headset then the one provided by Spcycle? I got the one from velobuild and that one sucks like hell... any headset for full integration would be great? Do you guys think a DEDA, FSA or Richtey headset would fit? Anyone tried?

I bought a Kocevelo headset as a potential replacement but haven't fussed with it yet - if I do, I'll let ya know.

Attached the final build (until I decide to push the cassette to 50t or swap the chainring) on the first *real* ride - some gravel run around out in Steamboat Springs, Colorado during the STBT GRVL weekend.

Absolutely in love with these bars.

« Reply #132 on: August 26, 2024, 06:28:33 PM »
I went with Syncros Creston bar, I’ll see when I get everything how is the integration…

I tried mounting that bar. I tried 3 different sets of aero spacers and didn't like any of them as they didn't look right. I went back to the Roval SL7 bar with aero spacers and the 50mm round top cap for them. I def would have preferred the Creston bar.

Ludo

« Reply #133 on: August 26, 2024, 08:19:12 PM »
Dang man you just crushed my vision lol

A guy on YouTube printed a 3d spacer, I will ask him if he is willing to share the file…
« Last Edit: August 26, 2024, 08:23:44 PM by Ludo »