Author Topic: Lightweight Gravel Frames  (Read 1147 times)

pushpush

Lightweight Gravel Frames
« on: August 23, 2024, 12:31:10 PM »
So many of the popular open mold frames are heavyweights.

Let's talk about the lightweight gravel options. Which are the alternatives to a crux or hakka? Which gravel frames are less than 1kg?

Tsunami

Re: Lightweight Gravel Frames
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2024, 03:33:17 PM »
Carbonda 505 SL is below 1000g

repoman

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2024, 05:10:44 PM »
Specialized really know what they are doing in layup/design...there's really no one else that comes close to the Crux and Aethos in terms of weight.  Crux is 725g in S-Works PAINTED...no one approaches that. I don't think anyone can really afford to spend the RnD in designing a frame like that because the return on investment won't be anywhere near what Specialized gets, so everyone plays it safe and puts out 1000-1200g gravel frames.

jonathanf2

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2024, 11:09:09 PM »
https://www.pandapodium.cc/product/voicevelo-g-major-disc-brake-gravel-frameset/

The Voicevelo G Major frameset is probably the lightest gravel frame from the Chinese domestic market. At $2099 USD though, you could probably find a non S-Works Crux if you shop around.

jfcb

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2024, 08:38:22 AM »
My carbonda 505sl was 1020gr for an xl frame.
It holds wel after many though gravel races.

Concerning crux and it's low weight: that one easily breaks, a small crash and you end up with 2 pieces of frames. This is also a reason why you could opt for the 'heavier (Chinese) frames.

jonathanf2

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2024, 10:13:35 AM »
My carbonda 505sl was 1020gr for an xl frame.
It holds wel after many though gravel races.

Concerning crux and it's low weight: that one easily breaks, a small crash and you end up with 2 pieces of frames. This is also a reason why you could opt for the 'heavier (Chinese) frames.

Durability is definitely a concern for me with gravel. I probably crash my gravel bike on yearly basis. Are Crux frames really that fragile? 200-300g extra on a Chinese gravel frame doesn't seem that much if it means better durability. Compared to steel/alloy/titanium, a reenforced 1-1.25kg carbon frameset is still quite lightweight.

repoman

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2024, 04:39:23 PM »
Durability is definitely a concern for me with gravel. I probably crash my gravel bike on yearly basis. Are Crux frames really that fragile? 200-300g extra on a Chinese gravel frame doesn't seem that much if it means better durability. Compared to steel/alloy/titanium, a reenforced 1-1.25kg carbon frameset is still quite lightweight.

No. They are extremely good frames. I know of a couple of really, really fast riders that beat the crap out of theirs on single track, technical stuff.

pushpush

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2024, 05:45:48 PM »
https://www.pandapodium.cc/product/voicevelo-g-major-disc-brake-gravel-frameset/

The Voicevelo G Major frameset is probably the lightest gravel frame from the Chinese domestic market. At $2099 USD though, you could probably find a non S-Works Crux if you shop around.

I've looked at the voicevelo one. It looks really nice but as you say they have priced themselves out. I guess a used crux frame is the answer. This was my original plan before I got lured into the idea of building with an open mold frame. Full circle. :)

dsveddy

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2024, 10:59:04 PM »
Lightcarbon LCG071 is just over 1000g for a 55cm, (verified), and comes fully integrated. It's a slow bike at speed though, seems to have poor aerodynamics.