Author Topic: Looking for a 27.5 trail frame  (Read 2482 times)

jondb

Looking for a 27.5 trail frame
« on: May 16, 2022, 09:33:44 AM »
My canyon spectral 27.5 rear triangle is bent and I'm looking for a new frame.

I had my eye on the AM831 but after reading Snacks his topic and FullCarbonAlchemist's suggestions, on that frame the bottom bracket will probably be too low.

Does someone know a fully trail frame that would work better with 27.5 wheels and a 160mm 27.5 fork?

G161

Re: Looking for a 27.5 trail frame
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 04:04:46 AM »
We're in the same boat mate.

I've been looking at the BXT 117 frame, it's a 29er frame, similar to the AM831. Has a high BB so I think it might work. My only reservations are a lack of reviews on BXT and I think want a bike with less rear travel, Want something more poppy and suitable for long slogs.

Maybe such a frame with a shorter stroke might work?

https://www.bxtcycle.com/am-fullsuspension-carbon-frame-29er_p69.html

jondb

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 01:53:50 PM »
With my fork, the BB height would be 325mm, 4mm higher than the am831 according to bike-stats.de.

I would like a BB height that is at least 330mm.

Thanks for the link though, I think it is the best Chinese frame available for my setup.

I'm gonna look for a used frame in my region and hope I can find something that works better.

G161

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 02:41:01 AM »
I think a Carbonda FM1002 will work for you?

Have a look.
https://www.carbonda.com/mountain/full-suspension/134.html

jondb

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 04:13:56 PM »
Looks interesting! Seems like people are pretty happy with the FM1002. My setup will have a 327mm bb height, that will probably work ok.

G161

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2022, 02:15:10 AM »
Looks interesting! Seems like people are pretty happy with the FM1002. My setup will have a 327mm bb height, that will probably work ok.

What frame did you land up using?

TribesMan

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2024, 02:04:32 PM »
My canyon spectral 27.5 rear triangle is bent and I'm looking for a new frame.

I had my eye on the AM831 but after reading Snacks his topic and FullCarbonAlchemist's suggestions, on that frame the bottom bracket will probably be too low.

Does someone know a fully trail frame that would work better with 27.5 wheels and a 160mm 27.5 fork?

I have the same problem, and would love to know what frame did @jondb end up using, if at all?

Few days ago my Spectral AL EX 27.5 broke at the seat tube.
Crack propagated from the dropper post cable hole around the seat tube, snapping it completely.
Luckily it failed when I was going uphill, otherwise it would be "an interesting experience"...

The bike is 7 years old and was ridden very little, just 3160km.
It was my third bike, and I never used it "as intended".
I'm a road cyclist, and I did most of the riding with this bike on local "rough gravel" roads, with occasional smooth downhill trails.
No bike parks, no "big" jumps, no crashes... so you can imagine I was quite shocked that this happened.
I have several bike, some even 20 years old... never have I seen anything like it.

Also the bike never "suited me"...
I always felt I was sitting way back... feeling like I have to hold on for dear life when going up steep hills.
Probably due to quite old-school geometry of this bike.

Since it is just one year over the warranty period (just 6 years for Canyon  :-\ )... I do not expect getting anything from them.
I sent them an email, but after few days no reply.

So now I'm looking what to do with the components that are left over.

Unfortunately I could not find any true 27.5 bike frames in the "china town".
Most of the models on sale are 29/27.5+, so that makes use of my existing components quite a pain in the back.

The FM1001 looks "interesting".
It has relatively low BB drop, and I like the steeper seat-tube geometry, it would shift me forwards on the bike, which I missed on the Canyon.
Maybe if combined with 2.6" 27.5 tyres, the BB clearance would end up being acceptable.

Fork Axle to crown length of 27.5" 150mm fork is quite similar to 29" 140mm fork, just a few mm difference, so I guess that would work.

Dropper post diameter is also 30.9, like on Canyon, and other stuff like brakes and groupset should not be an issue at all.

Only thing that would probably need replacing is the rear shock...
Canyon uses "standard mount" 190mm / 51mm shock.
And Carbonda is Trunnion 185mm / 50-55mm.
Do you think it would be possible to run 190mm shock from canyon with Trunnion adapter, or would the linkage hit the frame when extended fully?
That would be quite nice, because it would raise the rear end ~10mm and make it even more "XC like" and I would end up with ~125mm travel, which I would actually prefer.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear your opinion.