Author Topic: Why youtube wants to show chinese carbon frame failures  (Read 1171 times)

darius72

Why youtube wants to show chinese carbon frame failures
« on: September 02, 2024, 09:38:53 AM »
Hi!
  every time I try to search a review of a frame or mtb based on the frames discussed here on this forum, youtube offers me as a first result a video (4 millions visualizations) where a dude with an injured leg show his chinese broken MTB frame and recoommends to stay far from these products.
While it's clear that quality of chines carbon is a mixed bag and failures happens they also happen with famous brands frames; maybe less frequently who knows.
For sure this video is sponsored by "someone" to scare people on youtube looking for chinese frames.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2024, 09:42:50 AM by darius72 »

Ludo

Re: Why youtube wants to show chinese carbon frame failures
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2024, 09:48:25 AM »
Because algorithm know what’s attract views, controversy leads to click, so does people misfortune…

Silverado123

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2024, 04:20:44 AM »
Yt supports the mainstream. Anything thats not the mainstream or from "official sources" will not be looked at positively.

Ar26

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2024, 06:15:59 AM »
In defense, Chinese manufacturers have a lot of work to do in terms of communication, marketing, etc. I am always surprised to see videos of frames coming out of the back of a workshop at some manufacturers and resellers, with just a sheet in the background in a more or less dirty setting. Then, we can see machines dropping weights to see the strength of the carbon. In short, there is a little artisanal side that is not very reassuring.

Serge_K

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2024, 12:20:09 PM »
The comment on outrage leads to clicks is very true.
Also, people who crash their Chinese frame are more likely to make a video than people who don't have any problems with it. Creating content is hard work, and unless you have a referral code there's no money in it, but if your leg is broken, you can film the broken frame and bitch about life.
Although, and to be fair, it may be a MTB thing, because i don't really remember seeing broken Chinese road frame videos. A key reason why I'm on this forum is because there's hardly any content about Chinese road frames on YT (i discount the influencers shilling, that's basically ads)
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.

ausmtb8989

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2024, 07:19:44 AM »
is that the one where the guy who looks like he weighs 200 pounds, thinks its a good idea to go to a DH MTB jump park with a 120mm XC bike?

uberamd

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2024, 08:08:26 AM »
In defense, Chinese manufacturers have a lot of work to do in terms of communication, marketing, etc. I am always surprised to see videos of frames coming out of the back of a workshop at some manufacturers and resellers, with just a sheet in the background in a more or less dirty setting. Then, we can see machines dropping weights to see the strength of the carbon. In short, there is a little artisanal side that is not very reassuring.

The communication is a big one. On my Epic Evo clone frame there was a big defect where the derailleur housing and brake hose routing holes in the front and rear triangle didnt align near the BB so you couldn't even build the frame up. I had to use a dremel and widen the routing holes in the front triangle to get things to align. Communicating with the seller was a lost cause, they just said they'd tell the factory and ghosted me.

My AirWolf Stumpjumper clone had bad threads in the front triangle main pivot. Torquing them to over 5nm just shredded the threads in the front triangle (they came from the factory at 2nm at best). Frame was unridable without those bolts torqued properly. I had to buy a helicoil kit and install my own threads, then source my own bolts, because AirWolf refused to help me. Yeah they sent me new bolts one time but it wasn't a bolt issue, it was a front triangle issue. I provided video evidence showing the issue but they just ghosted me.

And in each instance the frame was $750-850. We're not talking about $200 frames where defects are whatever, these are fairly expensive. As a matter of fact, last year I was able to get a 2023 Specialized Stumpjumper carbon frame for $650, A 2023 Stumpjumper Evo frame for $750, and a 2023 Specialized Enduro frame for $800. All brand new with lifetime warranty. Those frames are significantly better quality, have more features, and cost the same amount as these clones.

Yes, I know that pricing was lower than most sale prices at the time, but it was a sale through The Pros Closet. And many other frames can be had for similar sale prices if you wait and dig enough.

My point is that these frames aren't inexpensive. And depending on the time of year the pricing isn't really even competitive with more reputable brands. So when issues do happen and the seller ghosts you leaving you with a $700+ headache its not a small wonder people go online to complain about them. All bike companies have issues, if you hit up the Specialized board on the MTBR forums you'll find plenty of people complaining about Specialized. The difference is that Specialized sells significantly more bikes so issues are more likely to be one-offs, their support is actually accessible, and they won't tell you to pound sand if you actually find a manufacturing defect.