Author Topic: 14 speed cassette  (Read 1652 times)

JonMS

Re: 14 speed cassette
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2024, 06:53:27 AM »
I reached out to them via their Alibaba store and inquired about purchasing just the cassette and chain (since the chain is spec'd to be 14S).

PLA

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2024, 08:34:49 AM »
I’m using a Campy 13sp Ekar chain on the Ekar cassette and I’m using a Chorus 12sp chain on my 12sp Record mechanical groupset. No need to mix things up. I’ve used all kinds of chains and Campy chains actually last the longest for me.

What's your opinion of ekar? Tempted to put a 1x on my partner's bike because she struggles with the whole 2 chainring thing lol
It’s so clearly a LARP of an aero bike.

Sebastian

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2024, 01:18:05 PM »
What's your opinion of ekar? Tempted to put a 1x on my partner's bike because she struggles with the whole 2 chainring thing lol

If you got a frame with super short chainstays and internal routing through an integrated cockpit, I'd say better avoid it. I love it, but I'm running it on a custom steel gravel frame with external routing. Being 13sp mechanical, it depends on an accurate setup and smooth running cables. And super short chainstays (like <420mm or even less) lead to more extreme chainlines in the outermost gears which Ekar really doesn't like.
I got it very cheap cuz I bought most of the parts used. The 1st gen Ekar is currently heavily discounted in some stores since Ekar GT came out. If you buy a cassette new, go for the Ekar GT cassettes over the gen 1 cassettes. The gear ratios are better (10-48, for instance) and they do not have the creaking problem, that plagued some of the 1st gen cassettes (though this can be alleviated with a bit of Loctite IME).

I love the brakes. I love the super short lever throw for shifts. I like the thumb lever, but that's really a matter of taste. I love Campy's lever shape. Their electronic stuff has reached the point of irrelevance but they do know how to make good mechanical groupsets IMO. Ekar to me is the only 1X groupset that truly feels like 2X because of the available gears. I've been running Sram 11sp 1X before. I'd be interested to check out Sram 13sp. But I really can't be arsed to ride electronic on my gravel bike. I'm using it for ultras. I don't wanna be stranded in the middle of the night in the woods with a non functioning derailleur. I ride electronic on the road bike, though.

JonMS

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2024, 07:54:23 AM »
I reached out to them via their Alibaba store and inquired about purchasing just the cassette and chain (since the chain is spec'd to be 14S).

They won't sell components. That's lame.

SillyMochi

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2024, 09:27:17 AM »
Did they at least tell you what kind/"brand" of cassette that is?

crispee

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2024, 02:10:15 PM »
My buddy just got his TT-X43 bike, and I was surprised to see it came with a 14-speed cassette. We didn't bother taking it off to check if it was hollow. After adjusting the rear derailleur, I was amazed at how smoothly the Wheeltop shifted through all 14 gears

SillyMochi

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2024, 02:13:04 PM »
He just ordered the bike without checking what components it comes with?! :D

But nice to see someone who actually has it. How's the bike in general?

crispee

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2024, 02:36:51 PM »
He just ordered the bike without checking what components it comes with?! :D

But nice to see someone who actually has it. How's the bike in general?

Yeah he asked about bout but never got a response for it.

This is his first road bike. So he's not sure what to look for. All I can tell is that bike was well package and put together when shipped. His fallen few times already with the bike on the non drive side and no issues. Not sure what that tell you.

You can find the bike on Tantan/serpha social media account its the all white one.

SillyMochi

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2024, 02:46:40 PM »
Yeah makes sense. Bold of him to go "full china" when he's got little to no experience with it :D

But glad it worked out. Usually if there are no obvious flaws in the beginning the bikes are mostly fine.

TribesMan

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2024, 07:47:58 AM »
What are the gear ratios of that 14s cassette?

14s would be really nice for road 1x if the range is ~400%

SillyMochi

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2024, 09:54:35 AM »
Says "CNC hollow colorful cassette-14 speed, 10-36T" on their website. As I understand it, that's the limit the WheelTop EDS TX RD allows for.